Re[2]: [sig] Folklore (was Re: Digest Number 1219)

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 6, 2003
      Greetings Waclaw!

      Friday, July 04, 2003, 3:15:27 PM, you wrote:

      VvP> Are these authentic Slavic recipes? A researcher could (probably)
      VvP> show a direct development of these recipes from the European
      VvP> originals, but they are not authentic recipes of the late 19th/early
      VvP> 20th century from central Europe.

      Waclaw, and what about me? I'm not an immigrant's son or grandson, I
      do live in Russia and, why are MY folk lore sources are ad initio called
      false? What immigrants changed THEM?

      --
      Bye,
      Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 6, 2003
        Greetings

        Friday, July 04, 2003, 6:24:10 PM, you wrote:

        Mac> Again, I will refer anyone interested in the subject to THE SINGER OF TALES
        Mac> by A. Lord.

        I Am interested. I AM involved. Please do the job usually required at
        Laurel events for literature that can't be obtained & understood by
        others (e.g. when there's a language barrier). In my case I can't get
        the book even if it's in Russia. Lenin library's sources are blocked
        mainly. Please do the citing if you really need my reaction to your
        argument. I need not "get what you must know because we do" but the
        correct idea you are referring to for the third time. I doubt I'm the
        only one in this position here.

        --
        Bye,
        Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 8, 2003
          In my family, halusky are made with a separately cooked mixture of fried
          onions and sauerkraut, seasoned with paprika and caraway seeds. The
          halusky are boiled (per each cup flour, one egg, a little salt and enough
          water to make a sticky dough) by cutting them, thumb-sized, into boiling
          water. They get puffy and you fish them out. Mix with the onions mixture,
          bake in the oven for a while, glob some sour cream on those puppies and
          your stomach will thank you.

          Margita

        • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 8, 2003
            This reminds me of a dish I've seen up here. (A strongly Ukrainian area of
            Alberta.)

            Little bread things (about thumb size) they might be boiled & then fried or
            perhaps baked (they occasionally have a locally made dry ?cottage? cheese, in
            the center) - they are golden brown.
            They are served with a cream dill sauce.
            They have become one of my favorite foods.

            -Kataryna
          • Jose Alire
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 8, 2003
              Mmmmmmmmmmmm as Homer would say it

              Julie <garden@...> wrote:In my family, halusky are made with a separately cooked mixture of fried
              onions and sauerkraut, seasoned with paprika and caraway seeds. The
              halusky are boiled (per each cup flour, one egg, a little salt and enough
              water to make a sticky dough) by cutting them, thumb-sized, into boiling
              water. They get puffy and you fish them out. Mix with the onions mixture,
              bake in the oven for a while, glob some sour cream on those puppies and
              your stomach will thank you.

              Margita
            • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                Greetings!

                > well, as far as the halushky goes, ive never seen it with egg noodles or any of that. it was always a small dumpling made from potato and flour, with bryndza cheese sauce on it. the halushky is the noodle. cottage cheese isnt used. bryndza is a soft sheeps cheese, that is what is used. halushky can also be served without the cheese if you put something else on it like chicken or another kind of sauce. but bryndzova halusky (or halusky a syr) would have been what i described. what you described is definately a blending of recipes

                Actually, halushki is the thing Borsch is served with in Ukraine. BTW, the dish is theated as borrowedlong ago, not originally Ukrainian. The Russian analog, Klyotski, is also not typically Russian, but can't remembver where it was borrowed. Seems like Finnish couisine but am not sure without literature (I forgot when I last answered anything from home computer, and of course no literature at work)

                Bye,
                Alex
              • jennifer knox
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                  hi! interesting.
                  would anyone like recipes that i collected when i lived in slovakia? most of them are from my students grandmothers. they will be modern, however
                  anya

                  Julie <garden@...> wrote:
                  In my family, halusky are made with a separately cooked mixture of fried
                  onions and sauerkraut, seasoned with paprika and caraway seeds.
                  [snipped by moderator]
                • jennifer knox
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                    then its eaten differently in slovakia than in russia. ive never seen it eaten with borscht before! sounds good! can you send me a recipe?
                    anya

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                      Yes, please! I'm sure they're good, even if they take only a few hours to
                      prepare ; )

                      At 08:54 AM 7/9/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                      >hi! interesting.
                      >would anyone like recipes that i collected when i lived in slovakia? most
                      >of them are from my students grandmothers. they will be modern, however
                      >anya

                      [snipped by moderator. Don't include posts that *other* people have replied to.]
                    • Jeanne
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                        Yes, I'd be very interested in them also!

                        Soffya Appollonia Tudja
                        http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
                        three fleur-de-lys Or

                        At 08:54 AM 7/9/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                        >hi! interesting.
                        >would anyone like recipes that i collected when i lived in slovakia? most
                        >of them are from my students grandmothers. they will be modern, however
                        >anya

                      • Vaclav von Pressburg
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                          On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 10:06:21PM +0400, Alexey Kiyaikin wrote:
                          . . .
                          > Waclaw, and what about me? I'm not an immigrant's son or grandson, I
                          > do live in Russia and, why are MY folk lore sources are ad initio called
                          > false? What immigrants changed THEM?

                          It's not just the immigration, but the passage of time and the
                          availability of new ingredients. These recipes are preserved and
                          passed on because they are loved. They become changed because they
                          are subject to the creative tendencies of the various generations of
                          cooks who learned them by imitating their parents.

                          "False" is the wrong word -- they are changed because of entropy.

                          I have a small book that I picked up in college that I was looking
                          at several months ago (and of course I can't find it right now).
                          It was published in Moscow in the 1950's and the title is approximately
                          "Exercises in Historical Russian Grammar" (cost 50 kopeks!) When
                          I bought it I was only interested in historical desinences, but I
                          recently wanted to look at what the author had to say about the
                          development of phonology. In the section where the author talks
                          about the Common Slavic *v in Russian, he says that this was
                          pronounced as a semi-vowel (like the English "w"), which he writes
                          as a Cyrillic "u" (looks like Roman "y") with a breve over it. He
                          gives the various developments in the different Eastern Slavic
                          languages and points out one Russian oblast where he says that "at
                          the current time" all "v", both initial and final, are pronounced
                          as "w".

                          Does such a dialect still exist after all these years of unified
                          national school curriculum? If it does, what does that imply about the
                          extent of this characteristic in the mostly unreported dialects of
                          150 or 200 years ago?

                          What is not written will change. What is written might be wrong, but
                          it can be preserved as a witness of someone's observations at the
                          time that it was written.

                          --
                          Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
                          vaclav@...
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                            On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:54:10AM -0700, jennifer knox wrote:
                            > hi! interesting.
                            > would anyone like recipes that i collected when i lived in slovakia? most of them are from my students grandmothers. they will be modern, however

                            This sounds wonderful!

                            --
                          • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                              > Waclaw, and what about me? I'm not an immigrant's son or grandson, I
                              > do live in Russia and, why are MY folk lore sources are ad initio called
                              > false? What immigrants changed THEM?

                              Not 'false'. Just not 'period documentation'. Whether you like it or not,
                              whether your ethnic pride wants to believe it or not, cultures change over
                              time, and the stories they tell over time get subtly shifted. I know you
                              would like to believe that all Russian cultural artifacts, including
                              folklore, was preserved precious and unchanged, but social scientists have
                              shown, in areas where we do have documentation to compare to folklore,
                              that it doesn't work that way.

                              "If one by one we counted people out
                              For the least sin, it wouldn't take us long
                              To get so that we had no one left to live with.
                              For to be social is to be forgiving. " -- Robert Frost, "The Star-Splitter"
                            • shannon anderson
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                                I don't know if anyone has seen them, but I found
                                these really cool pictures on the Library of Congress
                                website, evidently they ended up with these plates
                                after someone's estate was settled. They are pictures
                                of russia taken with various color filters and them
                                layered to make it look like they are color photos, in
                                the pre-color-photo era.

                                Check it out...
                                http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/
                                > "False" is the wrong word -- they are changed
                                > because of entropy.
                                I would LOVE to see the math for this!! ;)

                                this email brought to you by entropy,

                                Margarita

                                =====
                                http://search.yahoo.com
                              • Lente
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                                  Hmm, the cottage cheese change may have happened as a substitution. I know
                                  that when my sister makes lasagna she will use cottage cheese instead of
                                  ricotta cheese. why? Mostly a cost issue but also it use to be very hard to
                                  find ricotta cheese in the grocery stores here in the US. Quite possibly the
                                  same change happened because it was hard to find the bryndza (or any other
                                  soft sheep cheese) here in the US.

                                  Just a thought on how substitutions can happen.
                                  Kathws

                                  Alex sent on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 1:40 AM:> Greetings!

                                  > > well, as far as the halushky goes, ive never seen it with egg noodles or
                                  any of that. it was always a small dumpling made from potato and flour, with
                                  bryndza cheese sauce on it. the halushky is the noodle. cottage cheese isnt
                                  used. bryndza is a soft sheeps cheese, that is what is used. halushky can
                                  also be served without the cheese if you put something else on it like
                                  chicken or another kind of sauce. but bryndzova halusky (or halusky a syr)
                                  would have been what i described. what you described is definately a
                                  blending of recipes
                                • Alex Grant [T]
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                                    A nice large-format photo album/book with his photos was also on sale at one
                                    time.
                                    Proskudin-Gorskii is credited with making the first-ever color photographs.

                                    [Severely edited by moderator. DO NOT quote entire messages in posts if they are longer than what you are writing!]