Re: Bohemian Adamites/the French connection

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2003
      Rosanne writes...

      > your reference to this 'French preacher' Rohan ... I've not
      > heard that angle before.

      It makes sense - I don't think that Rohan is a Slavic name... Moreover, it
      was characteristic of the group that anyone could become a preacher, so
      take "preacher" as a description rather than as a definition of his
      profession. This removes any contradiction with his being a blacksmith.

      > I have come across another French (or is it Flemish?)
      > connection

      There's also the fact that 'Beghard' is a corruption of 'Picard' - and
      Picardy is of course in what is now northern France.

      > (Have you by any chance read the full Laurence of B account?)

      Nope, this is all much to late to be of huge interest to me! Personally I
      find the early period (up to around the 12th century) much more

      > According to what I've gleaned: they were apparently some
      > kind of Free Spirit sect that denied the divinity of Christ,

      This agrees with what I posted, too.

      > Anyway, the group of refugees in Prague apparently did
      > get a lot of interest from other locals

      There were various reasons for this, I suspect, some of which would have
      been specific to the behaviour of the nobility towards the peasantry in
      Bohemia, some of which more general. My mind keeps getting stuck on the
      flagellants, many of whom held similar beliefs and who were greeted with
      apparent enthusiasm across much of Europe... or was it simply that the
      medieval peasant was a bit short on entertainment, and there people
      wandering around naked or beating themselves bloody attracted followings
      for this reason? (*grin* that line should get a reaction...)

      > (did some of them learn Czech, or communicate in
      > another language, say Latin or German?).

      Czech or German, I would imagine... Latin would have been the preserve of
      the well-educated, i.e. the Church and Church-educated.

      > Thing is, none of the historians I've read seem to know
      > what happened to these people later.

      Between the Catholics and those Hussites who felt that they were just TOO
      radical, I would imagine that they were wiped out or driven severely
      underground... hence the lack of later reports.

      > Anyway, there's more to go into, but I'll do another email.
      > I'll reply off-list about meeting up in Prague...

      Great :-)

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - alastair@...
      P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic