Re: [sig] Folklore (was Re: Digest Number 1219)

  • Vaclav von Pressburg
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 4, 2003
      On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 06:05:30PM -0000, Kinjal of Moravia wrote:
      . . .
      > 2) What if, with age, your growing wisdom puts a different spin on
      > the import of these words?

      You mean like the original Authorized Version (King James' Version)
      of the bible? Where "prevent" means "to come before" and "artificial"
      means "ingenious, skillfully contrived"?

      > I am very much in favor of documentation, when appropriate. I am in
      > favor of Verbal History, when appropriate. What I question is why
      > such history, set to pen in the 15th century is supposed to be more

      Because the person in the 15th century is closer to the events.

      > valid that something put down in the 17th, or 22nd. Everything of
      > importance in this world starts with a person seeing something
      > profound and then sharing it others in a way they can understand.
      > The medium is not as important as the thought. Bedtime stories are
      > a good process.

      But bedtime stories are not facts -- they describe the way that
      people feel about experiences.

      . . .

      > If you are a professor attempting to research some obscure event,
      > then ever collateral thread must be persued. But if you want a
      > three thousand year old recipe for 'Pazar Salat', I'll take FolkLore
      > every time.

      Yes, recipes! In the first half of the twentieth century there was a
      large Slavic immigration to western Pennsylvania. This immigration
      included speakers of various languages Czech, Slovak, the eastern
      dialect of Slovak (this is the dialect with all short vowels and the
      accent on the penult), Carpato-rusk (now called Rusin'),
      Byelo-russian, Ukrainian, Polish. Enough different speakers of
      enough different languages that they even developed a local "common
      Slavic dialect" (which my grandfather referred to as "shchi").

      One of the common Slavic dishes in this area is called "halushki i
      syr". A perfectly good Slovak phrase and I have no doubt that it
      originally referred to a perfectly authentic recipe from the original
      countries. But I'm not sure how many, if any, of the ingredients
      are close to the original. The recipe when I was growing up included
      broad egg noodles and cottage cheese, but neither of these are
      quite the same as anything that was available in "Upper Hungary"
      in the 1890's. I learned to make it from my mother and I was
      surprised to note the differences that I had introduced over the
      passage of some 30 or 40 years. For instance I use olive oil instead
      of butter.

      And again there's the recipe for holupky (stuffed cabbage). My
      mother likes to top off the pot of holupky with a bit of ketchup
      before she starts heating it.

      Are these authentic Slavic recipes? A researcher could (probably)
      show a direct development of these recipes from the European
      originals, but they are not authentic recipes of the late 19th/early
      20th century from central Europe.

      --
      Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
      vaclav@...
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 4, 2003
        In a message dated 7/4/2003 5:38:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
        vaclav@... writes:

        > This reminds of the Icelandic Sagas -- these were also performed
        > orally and accuracy was considered a very important of their
        > transmission.

        You have to understand that accuracy in oral cultures is a concept quite
        different from what we understand as accuracy. It is more like the retelling of a
        joke (which is not word-for-word and yet is exactly the same joke) rather than
        the recitation of a poem by Frost.

        Again, I will refer anyone interested in the subject to THE SINGER OF TALES
        by A. Lord.

        Predslava.

      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 6, 2003
          Greetings Waclaw!

          Friday, July 04, 2003, 3:15:27 PM, you wrote:

          VvP> Are these authentic Slavic recipes? A researcher could (probably)
          VvP> show a direct development of these recipes from the European
          VvP> originals, but they are not authentic recipes of the late 19th/early
          VvP> 20th century from central Europe.

          Waclaw, and what about me? I'm not an immigrant's son or grandson, I
          do live in Russia and, why are MY folk lore sources are ad initio called
          false? What immigrants changed THEM?

          --
          Bye,
          Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 6, 2003
            Greetings

            Friday, July 04, 2003, 6:24:10 PM, you wrote:

            Mac> Again, I will refer anyone interested in the subject to THE SINGER OF TALES
            Mac> by A. Lord.

            I Am interested. I AM involved. Please do the job usually required at
            Laurel events for literature that can't be obtained & understood by
            others (e.g. when there's a language barrier). In my case I can't get
            the book even if it's in Russia. Lenin library's sources are blocked
            mainly. Please do the citing if you really need my reaction to your
            argument. I need not "get what you must know because we do" but the
            correct idea you are referring to for the third time. I doubt I'm the
            only one in this position here.

            --
            Bye,
            Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 8, 2003
              well, as far as the halushky goes, ive never seen it with egg noodles or any of that. it was always a small dumpling made from potato and flour, with bryndza cheese sauce on it. the halushky is the noodle. cottage cheese isnt used. bryndza is a soft sheeps cheese, that is what is used. halushky can also be served without the cheese if you put something else on it like chicken or another kind of sauce. but bryndzova halusky (or halusky a syr) would have been what i described. what you described is definately a blending of recipes
              anya

              Vaclav von Pressburg <vaclav@...> wrote:

              One of the common Slavic dishes in this area is called "halushki i
              syr". A perfectly good Slovak phrase and I have no doubt that it
              originally referred to a perfectly authentic recipe from the original
              countries. But I'm not sure how many, if any, of the ingredients
              are close to the original. The recipe when I was growing up included
              broad egg noodles and cottage cheese, but neither of these are
              quite the same as anything that was available in "Upper Hungary"
              in the 1890's.

              "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt

            • Julie
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 8, 2003
                In my family, halusky are made with a separately cooked mixture of fried
                onions and sauerkraut, seasoned with paprika and caraway seeds. The
                halusky are boiled (per each cup flour, one egg, a little salt and enough
                water to make a sticky dough) by cutting them, thumb-sized, into boiling
                water. They get puffy and you fish them out. Mix with the onions mixture,
                bake in the oven for a while, glob some sour cream on those puppies and
                your stomach will thank you.

                Margita

              • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 8, 2003
                  This reminds me of a dish I've seen up here. (A strongly Ukrainian area of
                  Alberta.)

                  Little bread things (about thumb size) they might be boiled & then fried or
                  perhaps baked (they occasionally have a locally made dry ?cottage? cheese, in
                  the center) - they are golden brown.
                  They are served with a cream dill sauce.
                  They have become one of my favorite foods.

                  -Kataryna
                • Jose Alire
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 8, 2003
                    Mmmmmmmmmmmm as Homer would say it

                    Julie <garden@...> wrote:In my family, halusky are made with a separately cooked mixture of fried
                    onions and sauerkraut, seasoned with paprika and caraway seeds. The
                    halusky are boiled (per each cup flour, one egg, a little salt and enough
                    water to make a sticky dough) by cutting them, thumb-sized, into boiling
                    water. They get puffy and you fish them out. Mix with the onions mixture,
                    bake in the oven for a while, glob some sour cream on those puppies and
                    your stomach will thank you.

                    Margita
                  • "Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik"
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                      Greetings!

                      > well, as far as the halushky goes, ive never seen it with egg noodles or any of that. it was always a small dumpling made from potato and flour, with bryndza cheese sauce on it. the halushky is the noodle. cottage cheese isnt used. bryndza is a soft sheeps cheese, that is what is used. halushky can also be served without the cheese if you put something else on it like chicken or another kind of sauce. but bryndzova halusky (or halusky a syr) would have been what i described. what you described is definately a blending of recipes

                      Actually, halushki is the thing Borsch is served with in Ukraine. BTW, the dish is theated as borrowedlong ago, not originally Ukrainian. The Russian analog, Klyotski, is also not typically Russian, but can't remembver where it was borrowed. Seems like Finnish couisine but am not sure without literature (I forgot when I last answered anything from home computer, and of course no literature at work)

                      Bye,
                      Alex
                    • jennifer knox
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                        hi! interesting.
                        would anyone like recipes that i collected when i lived in slovakia? most of them are from my students grandmothers. they will be modern, however
                        anya

                        Julie <garden@...> wrote:
                        In my family, halusky are made with a separately cooked mixture of fried
                        onions and sauerkraut, seasoned with paprika and caraway seeds.
                        [snipped by moderator]
                      • jennifer knox
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                          then its eaten differently in slovakia than in russia. ive never seen it eaten with borscht before! sounds good! can you send me a recipe?
                          anya

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                            Yes, please! I'm sure they're good, even if they take only a few hours to
                            prepare ; )

                            At 08:54 AM 7/9/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                            >hi! interesting.
                            >would anyone like recipes that i collected when i lived in slovakia? most
                            >of them are from my students grandmothers. they will be modern, however
                            >anya

                            [snipped by moderator. Don't include posts that *other* people have replied to.]
                          • Jeanne
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 9, 2003
                              Yes, I'd be very interested in them also!

                              Soffya Appollonia Tudja
                              http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
                              three fleur-de-lys Or

                              At 08:54 AM 7/9/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                              >hi! interesting.
                              >would anyone like recipes that i collected when i lived in slovakia? most
                              >of them are from my students grandmothers. they will be modern, however
                              >anya

                            • Vaclav von Pressburg
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                                On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 10:06:21PM +0400, Alexey Kiyaikin wrote:
                                . . .
                                > Waclaw, and what about me? I'm not an immigrant's son or grandson, I
                                > do live in Russia and, why are MY folk lore sources are ad initio called
                                > false? What immigrants changed THEM?

                                It's not just the immigration, but the passage of time and the
                                availability of new ingredients. These recipes are preserved and
                                passed on because they are loved. They become changed because they
                                are subject to the creative tendencies of the various generations of
                                cooks who learned them by imitating their parents.

                                "False" is the wrong word -- they are changed because of entropy.

                                I have a small book that I picked up in college that I was looking
                                at several months ago (and of course I can't find it right now).
                                It was published in Moscow in the 1950's and the title is approximately
                                "Exercises in Historical Russian Grammar" (cost 50 kopeks!) When
                                I bought it I was only interested in historical desinences, but I
                                recently wanted to look at what the author had to say about the
                                development of phonology. In the section where the author talks
                                about the Common Slavic *v in Russian, he says that this was
                                pronounced as a semi-vowel (like the English "w"), which he writes
                                as a Cyrillic "u" (looks like Roman "y") with a breve over it. He
                                gives the various developments in the different Eastern Slavic
                                languages and points out one Russian oblast where he says that "at
                                the current time" all "v", both initial and final, are pronounced
                                as "w".

                                Does such a dialect still exist after all these years of unified
                                national school curriculum? If it does, what does that imply about the
                                extent of this characteristic in the mostly unreported dialects of
                                150 or 200 years ago?

                                What is not written will change. What is written might be wrong, but
                                it can be preserved as a witness of someone's observations at the
                                time that it was written.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                                  On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:54:10AM -0700, jennifer knox wrote:
                                  > hi! interesting.
                                  > would anyone like recipes that i collected when i lived in slovakia? most of them are from my students grandmothers. they will be modern, however

                                  This sounds wonderful!

                                  --
                                • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                                    > Waclaw, and what about me? I'm not an immigrant's son or grandson, I
                                    > do live in Russia and, why are MY folk lore sources are ad initio called
                                    > false? What immigrants changed THEM?

                                    Not 'false'. Just not 'period documentation'. Whether you like it or not,
                                    whether your ethnic pride wants to believe it or not, cultures change over
                                    time, and the stories they tell over time get subtly shifted. I know you
                                    would like to believe that all Russian cultural artifacts, including
                                    folklore, was preserved precious and unchanged, but social scientists have
                                    shown, in areas where we do have documentation to compare to folklore,
                                    that it doesn't work that way.

                                    "If one by one we counted people out
                                    For the least sin, it wouldn't take us long
                                    To get so that we had no one left to live with.
                                    For to be social is to be forgiving. " -- Robert Frost, "The Star-Splitter"
                                  • shannon anderson
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                                      I don't know if anyone has seen them, but I found
                                      these really cool pictures on the Library of Congress
                                      website, evidently they ended up with these plates
                                      after someone's estate was settled. They are pictures
                                      of russia taken with various color filters and them
                                      layered to make it look like they are color photos, in
                                      the pre-color-photo era.

                                      Check it out...
                                      http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/
                                      > "False" is the wrong word -- they are changed
                                      > because of entropy.
                                      I would LOVE to see the math for this!! ;)

                                      this email brought to you by entropy,

                                      Margarita

                                      =====
                                      http://search.yahoo.com
                                    • Lente
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                                        Hmm, the cottage cheese change may have happened as a substitution. I know
                                        that when my sister makes lasagna she will use cottage cheese instead of
                                        ricotta cheese. why? Mostly a cost issue but also it use to be very hard to
                                        find ricotta cheese in the grocery stores here in the US. Quite possibly the
                                        same change happened because it was hard to find the bryndza (or any other
                                        soft sheep cheese) here in the US.

                                        Just a thought on how substitutions can happen.
                                        Kathws

                                        Alex sent on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 1:40 AM:> Greetings!

                                        > > well, as far as the halushky goes, ive never seen it with egg noodles or
                                        any of that. it was always a small dumpling made from potato and flour, with
                                        bryndza cheese sauce on it. the halushky is the noodle. cottage cheese isnt
                                        used. bryndza is a soft sheeps cheese, that is what is used. halushky can
                                        also be served without the cheese if you put something else on it like
                                        chicken or another kind of sauce. but bryndzova halusky (or halusky a syr)
                                        would have been what i described. what you described is definately a
                                        blending of recipes
                                      • Alex Grant [T]
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 10, 2003
                                          A nice large-format photo album/book with his photos was also on sale at one
                                          time.
                                          Proskudin-Gorskii is credited with making the first-ever color photographs.

                                          [Severely edited by moderator. DO NOT quote entire messages in posts if they are longer than what you are writing!]