Re: [sig] getting around to updating the Russian Knowledge Page

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
      In a message dated 7/2/2003 10:49:15 AM Central Daylight Time, yana@...
      writes:

      > Predslava, didn't it go something like "poklon ot..."?

      Right! I forgot!

      Many of the birch-bark letters begin "poklon ot...." followed by the genitive
      of (usually) the first name of the sender. Meaning (literally) "a bow
      from..." i.e. "greetings from...".

      Again, I don't have my sources. Some of the later (1980s) collections have
      indices so you can look up "poklon" and get a # for a birch-bark letter and
      maybe more formulae from there.

      Predslava.