Re: [sig] getting around to updating the Russian Knowledge Page

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
      In a message dated 7/1/2003 1:19:09 PM Central Daylight Time, yana@...
      writes:

      > Nothing out of SCA-period, if we can
      > help it.

      I'll add to Yana's request: documentation. I already had my fingers poised
      above the keyboard - hey, this is easy, and then I realized I don't have proper
      documentation at hand. I had to turn in the library books and I probably won't
      have a chance to do research in the near future. I can't look through the
      original of the Chronicles or the Domostroi and I don't have any collections of
      DATED proverbs (plenty of UNDATED and UNDOCUMENTED for-fun stuff, though).

      So for the Knowledge pages -- please include your sources.

      Masha.

    • Yana
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
        I know one thing that we do have documentation for: the greetings and
        closures on the birchbark documents. We've talked about them before here,
        but we've (me) have never put it down in stone someplace easy to find.

        Predslava, didn't it go something like "poklon ot..."?

        --Yana
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
          In a message dated 7/2/2003 10:49:15 AM Central Daylight Time, yana@...
          writes:

          > Predslava, didn't it go something like "poklon ot..."?

          Right! I forgot!

          Many of the birch-bark letters begin "poklon ot...." followed by the genitive
          of (usually) the first name of the sender. Meaning (literally) "a bow
          from..." i.e. "greetings from...".

          Again, I don't have my sources. Some of the later (1980s) collections have
          indices so you can look up "poklon" and get a # for a birch-bark letter and
          maybe more formulae from there.

          Predslava.