Folklore

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2003
      Folklore is documentation for traditions, rituals, beliefs, etc, OF THE TIME
      WHEN THE DOCUMENTATION WAS RECORDED. For that time, of course it is a valid
      doucument. It is a great document, but of contemporaries about contemporaries.
      It will tell you what a person THINKS or BELIEVES was done in the past, but not
      what was actually done in the past as it is not an eyewitness account of the
      past. It can, however, be an eyewitness account of the time period of that
      person's life, of what is called LIVING HISTORY.

      I am a folklorist. I teach folkore, I know folklore. But I do not mistake
      folklore for historical documents. Folklore may shed light on history, but it
      neither EXPLAINS it nor DOCUMENTS it. It may help make sense of certain elements,
      but it is never, ever enough in and of itself. More often than not, I would
      only trust it, in history, as a stepping stool for a theory. Not as a
      foundation.

      Predslava.