Re: Off topic, but concerned... turkeys!

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 1999
      From a variety of sources (including reports on archeological digs and
      Chronicles), I had compiled the following list:

      Chickens (and eggs), geese, ducks, and even cranes (!) made up domestic fowl.

      Swans, wild geese, stork, wild ducks, black grouse, hazel grouse.

      Important notes: Game and fowl had to be killed and bled. The Church forbade
      eating strangled animals. I'm not really clear why.

      Pigeons, doves were not eaten, because God appeared in the form of a dove at
      Christ's baptism. If anyone asks, what about famine? From everything I've
      learned, read, and heard, the Church was fairly understanding in hard times.

      Horse meat was also avoided, and in fact, the Chronicles relate of "eating
      horse meat" as a sign of extreme famine.

      Bear meat was taboo. Some scholars think it may be because of an ancient bear
      cult, but I haven't seen any proof of that, just speculations.

      But the most remarkable thing about eating in Russia was the number of lean
      and fast days, and therefore the amount and variety of fish eaten!

      Predslava,
      getting hungry all of a sudden.