Clothing - Silk Thread

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2003
      An item not yet mentioned is the importance of silk thread in fine
      clothes. This was a precious woven product of secret design that is
      still unknown, -- the Italian merchants could never duplicate. Fine
      garments were sewn with the thread and lasted for generations, while
      normal garments fell apart. When garb became too worn, the thread
      was removed and used again. I remember a listing that described a
      Slavic Museum with garments from the 11-13 centuries ( don't know if
      it still exists), but no displays from the 14th century. -- why --
      silk thread became unavailable during the 'dark years' of 1336-44.
      Apparently, it was so valuable that a wandering merchant could carry
      enough thread in his cap to support him for a year.

      I have written a fanciful story on this theme if anyone wants it.
      Write oiff-line.

      Kinjal
    • jennifer knox
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
        Hi everyone! just letting you know that september 5-7 there will be an sca event in poland. check out the kingdom page
        www.drachenwald.sca.org , and click on kingdom calender for updated info as the time gets closer.

        anya

        "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -- Teddy Roosevelt