Re: translation assistance

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 1999
      In a message dated 10/26/1999 5:50:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
      LiudmilaV@... writes:

      > What is sold here in store is simply not the same thing as "pickled
      cabbage"
      > we used to make and eat.

      We (I mean, my mother, to my husband's absolute horror) used the
      grocery-store sauerkraut to make shchi, and it was OK. I'm sure it would have
      been better with mama's own pickled cabbage.

      (BTW, "kislaia kapusta" is the same as "sauerkraut": sauer=sour, and
      kraut=cabbage, in German, of course.)

      The main difference between the storebought stuff and the homemade stuff, is
      that there's no vinegar added at home.

      > On the other hand, I know that some people pickled whole heads of cabbage
      and
      > used that, shredded, for cooking. This particular recipe doesn't specify,
      > though.

      Well, that's the way a lot of old recipes that I have do it: if it's
      shredded, or julienned, you don't have to cut it. They assume you know what
      they mean. Unlike nice, polite, detailed modern cookbooks.

      > <<My dictionary said "matchstick shaped", so I would guess it means
      > julienned. If I could see the end result I'd know for sure>>

      That's how I do it. My mother says "solominkoi" -- "like straw," and I equate
      it to "julienned".

      > This is so interesting. I wonder why you'd throw in the flour at the end,
      > with no mixing into another liquid before hand. Wouldn't this result in
      > lumpy bits of flour in the shchi?

      Again, cookbooks of that kind often assume you know all about it, the way
      they understand it, so they don't specify. I'm not sure what I would have
      done had the discussion not arisen, but now it seems obvious to me that you
      should...

      > add a bit of liquid to the flour and make sure
      > it is smooth before adding it to your soup.

      > By the way, where is this recipe from?

      Yeah, where? Huh? Where?

      Predslava,
      nosy.