Re: a million rus questions

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 12, 2003
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, goldschp@m... wrote:
      > > example, the linguistic influence: There are 10 or fewer words of
      > > Scandinavian origin in the Russian language, while almost all
      Rurik dynasty
      > > princes in Kiev and other towns had Slavic names and spoke
      Russian.

      > What language did they speak? It wasn't Norse, but I'd be a bit
      hard pressed
      > to call it "Russian."
      >
      > Also, where does your cite for 10 or fewer loan words from
      Scandinavia come
      > from? In what time period? From which countries?

      When you concider the thousands of Mordvidians (Finns)and others of
      Varengian source, that were used as slaves and hired help all over
      Russia, it is had to believe that their clothes and language would
      not have had some effect. Words and style are easily adapted and
      renamed, as are myths and stories. Even some of the early Russian
      Saints have a strange resmeblance to Norse counterparts.

      The fact that some of these words and clothing style are not
      directly identifiable does not deny the influence. It is like
      saying that American Culture was little affected by the Indians.
      Yet more than 2000 names; rivers, states, cities -- possibly the car
      you drive carry their words. But quickly they are 'American' words
      and most people don't even know their source.

      Just an opinion -- Kinjal
    • Alex Grant [T]
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 13, 2003
        Three (3) replies to follow!

        > I don't know if the clothing of the original Steppes inhabitants (who may
        > have not called themselves the Rus) was inferior or not, because I can't
        > really find anything on Russian clothing before the 9th century (i.e., the
        > Northmen come to town). I can't find any records, at least not in
        English.
        > Researching the Khazars might help, but probably not much when you're
        > looking for clothing from the Kievan Rus period (10th century to 13th
        > century CE).
        > Scandinavians came in and established themselves in Russia in the 9th to
        > 10th century. That doesn't mean that the people they took over were
        > inferior. It just means that Rus culture was the most prevalent culture
        at that time-- at least as far as written and archeological records will
        have
        > us know.

        Ryska

        Have you tried the Byzantine account of Svyatoslav's campaigns in the
        Balkans? It describes the clothes of the Russian warriors. Rather than
        inferior or superior, my question is: Was one style of clothing better
        suited to the social and climatic environment in Russia than the other
        style. And if so, what were the reasons for adapting a new style, and did it
        actually happen?

        > What language did they speak? It wasn't Norse, but I'd be a bit hard
        > pressed to call it "Russian."
        > Also, where does your cite for 10 or fewer loan words from Scandinavia
        come from? In what time period? From which countries?
        > Your point may be valid but you're exagerrating and playing fast and loose
        > with your factoids.

        Paul

        I suspect you want to call it old Ukrainian, but it isn't so. If that's not
        the case, please disregard my statement.
        I believe in modern Russian some old Norwegian words were identified as part
        of those 10. I can find the names of linguists who have analyzed Russian for
        etimology if you really want me to; it would just take some time. But I
        researched this issue before, and I am pretty sure you won't find any info
        to contradict this.

        > When you concider the thousands of Mordvidians (Finns)and others of
        > Varengian source, that were used as slaves and hired help all over
        > Russia, it is had to believe that their clothes and language would
        > not have had some effect. Words and style are easily adapted and
        > renamed, as are myths and stories. Even some of the early Russian
        > Saints have a strange resmeblance to Norse counterparts.
        > The fact that some of these words and clothing style are not
        > directly identifiable does not deny the influence. It is like
        > saying that American Culture was little affected by the Indians.
        > Yet more than 2000 names; rivers, states, cities -- possibly the car
        > you drive carry their words. But quickly they are 'American' words
        > and most people don't even know their source.

        Kinjal

        I don't know. Why would slaves or peasants have a reason to sew and stich
        their shirts a different way. They never see their lords stiching in front
        of them, so how would they learn a new method? And even if they did, would
        anyone dare wear one of those and be seen by his/her lord in it?
        The language is easily analyzed by linguistic experts. There is no secret
        about American Indian words in English, or Tatar words in Russian. They can
        all be traced back.

        Alex
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 14, 2003
          Maybe it was a combbination of elements working
          independently to form trends in style. Color is the
          most obvious way to indicate affluence, as dyed fabric
          has graduated pricing in any period culture, Second,
          fashion is rarely driven in period by whole cloth
          imitation, but imitation on a much smaller scale,
          either because the wearer had certain style elements
          added or because the "tailor" who made the garment
          simply utilized familiar techniques, which were copied
          by others, or not.

          Due to the paucity of artifacts at this time, and the
          obvious presence of peoples from many cultures living,
          trading and/or inter-marrying in Kievian culture, I'm
          inclined to take the melting pot approach for now and
          err on side of caution.
          'dak

          --- Kinjal of Moravia <gusarimagic@...>

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Alexey Kiyaikin
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 15, 2003
            Greetings Jadwiga!

            >> > Given that there was a strong Scandinavian influence among the Rus at that
            >> > time, ... [snip]
            >>
            >> I would disagree on that.
            >> Could you please clarify what you consider "strong" Scandinavian influence
            >> among the Russians, and especially in the context of clothing. This appears
            >> as if the Russians' own clothing style or methods of making it was somehow
            >> inferior to that of Scandinavian immigrants', which I find hard to believe.

            jfn> *sigh* I'm not the original poster, but there's a very strong trend in
            jfn> historiography to believe that around the millenium the ruling class in
            jfn> Russia was Scandinavian, which would definitely lead to a very strong
            jfn> influence on the culture at that time!
            Oh my, Jadwiga, what the , ergm, historiography did you put ruling
            class's (argueable at least) origins and the popular clothes type into
            the same bowl? I can't imagine the picture Levi Strauss's garb being
            popular in, say, Florida several decades after the vere pattern was
            invented. No ruling class could greatly change the national costumes'
            pattern (even in decades or centuries) if it was completely different.
            They could change fashion but not the national costume.

            jfn> To say that there was a very strong influence of X on Y at a given time is
            jfn> not to say that the original Y is inferior-- consider the influence of
            jfn> modern American fashions on the fashion cultures of other countries. Ugly,
            jfn> badly made American clothes become popular as a fad even though they are
            jfn> inferior to what people would wear normally. I'm not sure where you get
            jfn> the implication of inferiority there.
            I'm sure he meant that he didn't believe those Russians borrowed the pattern
            and not invented it themselves or took from the common indo-european
            source of patterns.

            jfn> Or, for instance, consider the islamic minatures that portray famous
            jfn> islamic persons in Mongol garb, which were created when those islamic
            jfn> countries were under the rule of the Mongols.
            Yet one difference - the native ways and habits of sewing then & there
            suffered
            greatly from the invasion, as well as other craft, with ctaftsmen
            being either killed or enslaved. That helped accept anything even if
            those Mongols wore tangas. Russia didn't get that fate in pre-mongol
            times.

            --
            Bye,
            Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 15, 2003
              Greetings

              J> *sigh* I'm not the original poster, but there's a very strong trend in
              J> historiography to believe that around the millenium the ruling class in
              J> Russia was Scandinavian, which would definitely lead to a very strong
              J> influence on the culture at that time!

              J> This is touched upon in the Land of the Tsars, Hitler, er History channel's
              J> documentary on Russia. They stated that the Tartars were originally
              J> Viking/Scandinavian merchants and that's where the name comes from. Not my
              J> spec-al de Masion, but get the DVD if possible.
              ????? Being a Russian and at least 1/16 a Tatar, I am becoming deeply interested in
              this discovery....
              J> Well worth the time, the last 30 min is depressing, Come on Nicholas II,
              J> blah!
              Don't grieve for him. He was sainted not for his personal traits (weak
              and hopeless ruler indeed) but for the sheer fact his executioners had
              no right to do that to his family.

              --
              Bye,
              Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 15, 2003
                Greetings

                Friday, June 13, 2003, 12:22:54 AM, you wrote:

                gmc> Also, where does your cite for 10 or fewer loan words from Scandinavia come
                gmc> from? In what time period? From which countries?

                gmc> Your point may be valid but you're exagerrating and playing fast and loose
                gmc> with your factoids.

                Paul, in this point he is not. I, being taught linguistics, also came across that
                number. No more than 10, but the source simply mentioned that,
                regarding them as "Scandinavian".

                --
                Bye,
                Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 16, 2003
                  > jfn> *sigh* I'm not the original poster, but there's a very strong trend in
                  > jfn> historiography to believe that around the millenium the ruling class in
                  > jfn> Russia was Scandinavian, which would definitely lead to a very strong
                  > jfn> influence on the culture at that time!
                  > Oh my, Jadwiga, what the , ergm, historiography did you put ruling
                  > class's (argueable at least) origins and the popular clothes type into
                  > the same bowl? I can't imagine the picture Levi Strauss's garb being
                  > popular in, say, Florida several decades after the vere pattern was
                  > invented. No ruling class could greatly change the national costumes'
                  > pattern (even in decades or centuries) if it was completely different.
                  > They could change fashion but not the national costume.

                  The notion of 'national costume' is generally considered by Western
                  costume historians to be 17th and 18th century in origin, which is very
                  frustrating for those of us researching West Slavic cultures-- since it
                  means that the national and regional costume books aren't all that much
                  help. This again may be a translation issue-- the phrase 'national
                  costume' means one thing to these costume historians and may mean another
                  thing to you.

                  Olga Sronkova's book on 16th to 18th century fashions, specifically
                  centering on Bohemia, is an interesting work talking about the adoption of
                  Spanish Renaissance costume in Bohemia, etc. in the 16th century.

                  I'm not sure what you are trying to say with the Florida reference?

                  > I'm sure he meant that he didn't believe those Russians borrowed the pattern
                  > and not invented it themselves or took from the common indo-european
                  > source of patterns.

                  I've always found it curious that there is a similarity between the
                  'traditional' polygonal overdress with straps that is considered
                  postperiod for Russia and the Viking apron-dress... but because we do have
                  some pictures from the intervening period, it seems clear that there is no
                  direct connection. So both could have come out of one single impulse at
                  different times.

                  "In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
                  floaties and teach us how to swim." --Linton Weeks, Washington Post 1/13/01.
                • Kinjal of Moravia
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 16, 2003
                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, <jenne@f...> wrote:
                    > > jfn> *sigh* I'm not the original poster, but there's a very
                    strong trend in
                    > > jfn> historiography to believe that around the millenium the
                    ruling class in
                    > > jfn> Russia was Scandinavian, which would definitely lead to a
                    very strong
                    > > jfn> influence on the culture at that time!

                    Without searching through some old references, did not the Poles
                    elect a Swedish King to rule on several occations? Surly this had
                    some effect on culture, including dress.

                    Kinjal

                  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 16, 2003
                      > Without searching through some old references, did not the Poles
                      > elect a Swedish King to rule on several occations? Surly this had
                      > some effect on culture, including dress.

                      Dunno... the Swedish invasion of Poland was after my period of study!
                      However, Jadwiga (who was Hungarian but of the House of Anjou) apparently
                      brought some very western influences with her when she came to Poland; and
                      Jagiello brought some Lithuanian influences, it is said.

                      The most famous monarch issue in Poland is Queen Bona Sforza; she brought
                      Italian influence to the fore in Poland when she became queen. Most
                      instances of Italian influence in Polish culture are traced to the period
                      when she was queen, but since that was also the beginning of the 100 years
                      of serious grain trade between Poland and Italy, there may have been heavy
                      economic and trade influences as well.

                      "We made a vow/we'd always be friends
                      How could we know/ that promises end?" Eric Clapton
                    • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 17, 2003
                        Greetings Jadwiga!

                        > Olga Sronkova's book on 16th to 18th century fashions, specifically
                        > centering on Bohemia, is an interesting work talking about the adoption of
                        > Spanish Renaissance costume in Bohemia, etc. in the 16th century.

                        16 century is already the age of Fashion, not of Convenience.

                        > I'm not sure what you are trying to say with the Florida reference?

                        I meant Strauss jeans were not doomed to become fashionable in few ecades. Some decades passed before they became at least known throughout the US. Jeans fashion came much later. The same with any borrowed clothing.

                        > > I'm sure he meant that he didn't believe those Russians borrowed the pattern
                        > > and not invented it themselves or took from the common indo-european
                        > > source of patterns.
                        >
                        > I've always found it curious that there is a similarity between the
                        > 'traditional' polygonal overdress with straps that is considered
                        > postperiod for Russia and the Viking apron-dress... but because we do have
                        Russian scholars drive the similarity with Mongol sleeveless overcoats and Corean dresses as well. The main difference with the Viking women's apron dress is that it was not sewn. Russian sarafan required no buckles that were essential to scandinavians' status symbolism. So they are farther from each other than, say, East Nurkestan and Byzanthium shirts (which were not in the least relational, though looking similar). All in all, there were simply no Vikings at hand when Sarafans & Shubkas were worn. And strapped model is even more young afair.

                        > some pictures from the intervening period, it seems clear that there is no
                        > direct connection. So both could have come out of one single impulse at
                        > different times.

                        yes, so we see that there was no need to create "borrowing from he vikings" when we remember that Russia was a part of the whole-Europe cultural environment.

                        bye,
                        Alex
                      • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 17, 2003
                          Greetings!

                          > Without searching through some old references, did not the Poles
                          > elect a Swedish King to rule on several occations? Surly this had
                          > some effect on culture, including dress.

                          Tell me, what cultural effect remained when Mongolian rule in China ceased to be? Or when Britain invited the Hannover dynasty?

                          When a country is open to changes, they happen without any "chenge manager" on the throne. If not, then not.

                          bye,
                          Alex.