xopowo list!

  • shannon anderson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2003
      Hello all,
      I am a new member to this list, I was happy to find
      it. I wanted to greet you all instead of just lurking
      suspiciously. ;)
      I am currently living in Champaign IL, but mostly
      participating in SCA type things in Chicago (where I
      was for the last 4 years). But I also hail from
      Carolingia.
      I recently change, or shall we say, further crafted my
      persona to by russian and I am not going about the
      task of creating a story/ a wardrobe.
      Outside the SCA, I am a big Russophile as well. I have
      lots of questions and will definately come to the
      Pennsic meeting, but since I have to make some garb
      before then, I have one quick question about that.

      All my research points me in the direction of a tunic
      like garment for early (13th C) russian garb, for easy
      assembly, ubiquitousness, periodness, etc.
      But what I also keep seeing is that this tunic is
      constructed from 4 rectangles of fabric; two that are
      the front and back panels, and two that are either
      sleeves in entirety or squares that get sewn in
      *under* the sleeves...
      Does this sound about right to you? (it is hard to
      describe a pattern with words)
      Does someone out there have a good link to actual
      directions to making either of these styles?

      I would appreciate any help!

      -Margarita

      =====
      http://search.yahoo.com
    • yana@arts.sca.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2003
        > Hello all,
        > I am a new member to this list, I was happy to find
        > it. I wanted to greet you all instead of just lurking
        > suspiciously. ;)
        > I am currently living in Champaign IL,

        Mwah hahahahahah! Your faithful moderator has arrived in town (Champaign)
        to serve your very needs (got here on Sunday)! How funny! I have a
        convert to Mother Russia even before the Newcomers Event in September!
        You and I *definitely* need to get together.

        As for the dress you are describing, I think I have seen reference to it.
        It is a pattern that I have on my drafting "to do" list. You'll have to
        allow me time to dig out my stuff from the gazillion boxes of books that I
        have acting as pseudo-furniture in my apartment at the moment. Feel free
        to write to me off the list.

        --Yana