Re: [sig] Teutonic Knights

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
      In a message dated 6/4/2003 11:03:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
      tonicwgin@... writes:

      > I was under the impression that they were
      > germanic...

      Nope. And by WWII, they were long gone. Propaganda indeed.

      Predslava.

    • lilith@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
        The Prussians were Balts. There were several Baltic Tribes,
        but slowly they were assimilated. The Curonians and Yotvingians
        were assimilated into Lithuania and Prussia was annexed
        by the Germans. The Prussian languaged died out in the 1700s.

        Prussians were Balts.

        The only remaining, living, Balts are the Latvians
        and Lithuanians.

        Marija

        > From: Kresimir Zeravica <tonicwgin@...>
        > Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 09:28:37 -0700 (PDT)
        > To: sig@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [sig] Teutonic Knights
        >

        > --- MHoll@... wrote:
        > > No, the Prussians did not belong to the Slavic
        > > peoples. They were Balts, I'm
        > > not even sure if they were Indo-European or Finnic.
        > >
        > > Predslava.
        >
        > I was under the impression that they were
        > germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
        > but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
        > greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

        > http://calendar.yahoo.com

      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
          Greetings Kresimir!

          Saturday, May 31, 2003, 8:28:37 PM, you wrote:

          KZ> I was under the impression that they were
          KZ> germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
          KZ> but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
          KZ> greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

          No racial issue at all. The baltic tribe union of Prussians that
          controlled the nowadays' Prussia, was partly absorbed partly exterminated in the
          course of medieval "Drang nach Osten", along with the western Slavs of
          todays' Meklenburg etc.

          --
          Bye,
          Alex mailto:Posadnik@...