Re: [sig] Re: Prince Vladimir

  • Alex Grant [T]
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2003
      > Yes, but 'Rus' means oarsman and is Varengian in origin. He may not
      > have practiced Nordic tradition but it is there, as is all of Kiev.
      > Also, why do not we speak more of the Alani who are part of the
      > blood and spirit of all Slavic people? Why it is unfortunatate that
      > they perished in the sun plague of 1340, they were still a dominate
      > culture for more than 3000 years. Even Ganghis Khan did not fight
      > them. Their treaty with Rome lasted more that 1400 years, the
      > longest in Roman history -- yet they are hardly mentioned.
      >
      > Kinjal

      I guess this is in reference to my statement.
      It still doesn't change my point that Vladimir was a Russian and not a
      Viking. The name of the country may trace to a Varangian root, or may not,
      but still doesn't change this. I am not sure which Nordic tradition you
      refer to that's "there," but I can't think of any during Vladimir's time.
      One event that may be attributed to a non-Slavic practice was the human
      sacrifice of two Christians in Kiev prior to Vladimir's conversion, but it
      was an exception.

      I'm sorry I don't know that much about the Alans, however, the Russian
      Chronicles often refer to the Slavic homeland being in the Danube river
      valley, rather than in the Caucasus region, where the Alani were.

      Alex