Re: [sig] Teutonic Knights

  • Kresimir Zeravica
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31 9:28 AM
      --- MHoll@... wrote:
      > No, the Prussians did not belong to the Slavic
      > peoples. They were Balts, I'm
      > not even sure if they were Indo-European or Finnic.
      >
      > Predslava.

      I was under the impression that they were
      germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
      but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
      greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
        > > No, the Prussians did not belong to the Slavic
        > > peoples. They were Balts, I'm
        > > not even sure if they were Indo-European or Finnic.
        > >
        > > Predslava.
        >
        > I was under the impression that they were
        > germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
        > but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
        > greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

        After the native Prussian peoples were exterminated by the Northern
        Crusades, the Teutonic knights settled Germanic settlers in the area.
        Modern 'Prussians' are mostly German.

        "Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
        are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." -- James Quinn
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
          In a message dated 6/4/2003 11:03:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
          tonicwgin@... writes:

          > I was under the impression that they were
          > germanic...

          Nope. And by WWII, they were long gone. Propaganda indeed.

          Predslava.

        • lilith@sympatico.ca
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
            The Prussians were Balts. There were several Baltic Tribes,
            but slowly they were assimilated. The Curonians and Yotvingians
            were assimilated into Lithuania and Prussia was annexed
            by the Germans. The Prussian languaged died out in the 1700s.

            Prussians were Balts.

            The only remaining, living, Balts are the Latvians
            and Lithuanians.

            Marija

            > From: Kresimir Zeravica <tonicwgin@...>
            > Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 09:28:37 -0700 (PDT)
            > To: sig@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [sig] Teutonic Knights
            >

            > --- MHoll@... wrote:
            > > No, the Prussians did not belong to the Slavic
            > > peoples. They were Balts, I'm
            > > not even sure if they were Indo-European or Finnic.
            > >
            > > Predslava.
            >
            > I was under the impression that they were
            > germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
            > but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
            > greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

            > http://calendar.yahoo.com

          • Alexey Kiyaikin
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
              Greetings Kresimir!

              Saturday, May 31, 2003, 8:28:37 PM, you wrote:

              KZ> I was under the impression that they were
              KZ> germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
              KZ> but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
              KZ> greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

              No racial issue at all. The baltic tribe union of Prussians that
              controlled the nowadays' Prussia, was partly absorbed partly exterminated in the
              course of medieval "Drang nach Osten", along with the western Slavs of
              todays' Meklenburg etc.

              --
              Bye,
              Alex mailto:Posadnik@...