Re: [sig] Teutonic Knights

  • Kresimir Zeravica
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2003
      --- MHoll@... wrote:
      > No, the Prussians did not belong to the Slavic
      > peoples. They were Balts, I'm
      > not even sure if they were Indo-European or Finnic.
      >
      > Predslava.

      I was under the impression that they were
      germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
      but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
      greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2003
        Greetings

        Saturday, May 31, 2003, 6:24:38 PM, you wrote:

        >> I believe the Prus weren't considered 'Slavs,' anyway, and once you get
        >> into Lithuania/Livonia/Estonia I'm pretty sure the language groupings are
        >> something not-Slavic, can someone elucidate on that point?
        >>

        Mac> No, the Prussians did not belong to the Slavic peoples. They were Balts, I'm
        Mac> not even sure if they were Indo-European or Finnic.

        The Balts are. The Prussians were. The Lithuanians are. Estonians are not, being Finnish.

        --
        Bye,
        Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
          > > No, the Prussians did not belong to the Slavic
          > > peoples. They were Balts, I'm
          > > not even sure if they were Indo-European or Finnic.
          > >
          > > Predslava.
          >
          > I was under the impression that they were
          > germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
          > but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
          > greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

          After the native Prussian peoples were exterminated by the Northern
          Crusades, the Teutonic knights settled Germanic settlers in the area.
          Modern 'Prussians' are mostly German.

          "Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
          are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." -- James Quinn
        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
            In a message dated 6/4/2003 11:03:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
            tonicwgin@... writes:

            > I was under the impression that they were
            > germanic...

            Nope. And by WWII, they were long gone. Propaganda indeed.

            Predslava.

          • lilith@sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
              The Prussians were Balts. There were several Baltic Tribes,
              but slowly they were assimilated. The Curonians and Yotvingians
              were assimilated into Lithuania and Prussia was annexed
              by the Germans. The Prussian languaged died out in the 1700s.

              Prussians were Balts.

              The only remaining, living, Balts are the Latvians
              and Lithuanians.

              Marija

              > From: Kresimir Zeravica <tonicwgin@...>
              > Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 09:28:37 -0700 (PDT)
              > To: sig@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [sig] Teutonic Knights
              >

              > --- MHoll@... wrote:
              > > No, the Prussians did not belong to the Slavic
              > > peoples. They were Balts, I'm
              > > not even sure if they were Indo-European or Finnic.
              > >
              > > Predslava.
              >
              > I was under the impression that they were
              > germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
              > but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
              > greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

              > http://calendar.yahoo.com

            • Alexey Kiyaikin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
                Greetings Kresimir!

                Saturday, May 31, 2003, 8:28:37 PM, you wrote:

                KZ> I was under the impression that they were
                KZ> germanic...since that is where my grandma comes from,
                KZ> but of course that oppinion might have been influenced
                KZ> greately by WW2 propaganda of racial purity and so on.

                No racial issue at all. The baltic tribe union of Prussians that
                controlled the nowadays' Prussia, was partly absorbed partly exterminated in the
                course of medieval "Drang nach Osten", along with the western Slavs of
                todays' Meklenburg etc.

                --
                Bye,
                Alex mailto:Posadnik@...