St Christopher (was: Prince Vladimir)

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2003
      Someone wrote...
      >> even to throwing out myths like 'Saint Christopher'.

      To which Alex Grant replied
      > To the Orthodox, St. Chistopher is very much a real saint.

      Actually, St Christopher is still a real saint to the Catholic Church too.

      Due to a lack of documentary evidence and the "official" miracles required
      by the Curia, he was "demoted" to local saint, i.e.one whose veneration is
      not expected to apply to the whole Church, or to whom churches or a saint's
      day will be dedicated. St Christopher is one of the Church's earlier
      saints, and indeed his story bears interesting similarities to Greek and
      Roman mythology... Medals of the saint can still be bought at the Vatican,
      Westminster Cathedral in London etc. (Heck, I still take a St Chris.
      whenever I make long journeys, too).

      Essentially, his cult was too strong to give him the boot; and let's not
      forget that, after all, faith is by definition belief without proof!!!

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons) - alastair@...
      P.O.Box 11, CZ 413 01 Roudnice, Czech Republic