Re: The Name Game (yes, name editing)

  • Kataryna Dragonweaver
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2003
      Welcome Ryska...

      > >The problem is the byname <snip> (I
      > >toyed with "Skoreeva" for a bit)?

      I like this one too.... but when you submit the name you can do a
      couple of things. Allow a change and request a Russian word meaning
      the same as Skoreeva (it will limit options)... or give them the two
      names to choose from.

      > > Aaaand...I think I'm going to go get a
      > >life now. And get "DORK" tattooed on my forehead.

      No... it will save you many arguments when you go to register the
      name if you get it all right in the first place.

      > >Ryska, already treading into authenticity Nazi territory

      Take Yana's advice on using the above term.... you will save yourself
      many angry looks/thoughts from those who don't like it.
      I use authenticity geek or nut, or period perfectionist.

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Yana <yana@m...> wrote:
      > For that matter, how did others here come to choose their
      > persona/area of interest?

      Well, I'm
      Kievian... but I keep changing my mind about the century.... either
      1100's-ish or 1400's-ish. I keep flip-floping....

      And I picked my persona based on my family background (Ukrainian).
      My name is my Grandmothers name - the spelling (Thank you Paul for
      backing me up - Yeh! it passed) is based on my grandmother's
      immigration papers to Canada. If you speak the name with the same
      accent as my grandmother & the rest of my family, you pick out a
      distict "a" sound as opposed to the Kateryna which is Paul's spelling
      of the name.

      The surname is a bit of a story....
      When I joined the society I got known for making little woven dragons
      out of ribbon, paper, velvet, leather (anything that I can cut into
      strips and it won't fray). Generally I'm a fidgeter and I keep my
      hands occupied by making something mindless and giving it away
      (origami and these woven animals). So others in the society named me
      DragonWeaver......
      BUT..... the heralds would never pass that name.... So I shortened it
      and submitted the gender female Ukrainian word for weaver - which got
      bounced. So I agreed to the suggested change and managed to pass the
      male gender word for weaver - Tkach.
      :)

      -Kataryna