Re: Food and the Domostroi

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 1999
      In a message dated 10/22/1999 6:15:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
      jdmiller2@... writes:

      > To sum up:
      > Pirozhok = small filled oval pastry (pirozhki -plural)
      > Pirog = large rectangular, square, or round pie, sweet or savory (pirogi
      > -plural)
      > Pierogi = Polish word for dumpling. Not same as Russian pirogi.

      Add to that the pronunciation.

      Polish has a fixed stress on the penultimate syllable: i.e. <pee-ROH-ghi>.
      Russian does not have a fixed stress (you have to learn it for each word, and
      sometimes for oblique cases, too; it's still not as bad as English, even
      though my mother has been correcting everyone since her arrival). So it's
      <pee-ROHG> and <pee-roh-GHEE> and <pee-roh-ZHOHK> and <pee-rohzh-KEE>.

      And it's <dah-LAH>, not <DAH-lah> ("gave", fem. sing. -- my wrong stress of
      the day).

      Predslava,
      feeling very fallible lately...