Kvas revisited

  • LiudmilaV@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 22, 1999
      Hello! I was looking for some practical recipie in an old book brought from
      the USSR, and came upon a kvas page. This book is composed as answers to
      questions women wrote to various newspapers and magazines, so I can't tell
      you how valid the information is, but it sounds ok.

      First -- anyone remembers "tea mushroom" I offered as a sourse of kvas?
      Well, while good for you and tasty, the thing is not period. It was first
      described in last century England and was known for its medicinal properties.

      Also, here is a recipie for "Peter the Great's kvas" -- a recipie that is
      claimed to have originated around Peter's time:

      This recipe is for 5 liters of kvas. Slice some rye bread thinly and dry the
      slices in your oven till they are brown. You will need 800 grams of these
      "suhari." Cover them with 4 liters of boiling water and leave for 2 hours.
      Strain the liquid. Then, add 20-25 grams of yeast and sugar to taste (500
      grams suggested). The resulting kvas needs to ferment for 5 to 6 hours.
      When it is ready, add 100 grams of grated horseradish mixed with 100 grams of
      honey. If desired, spices and dried mint can be added to taste. The kvas
      has to be kept refrigerated.

      Anyone wants to try this? I might, but not soon. Also, there is a recipie
      for "Moscow kvas" that might be suitable even for Yana, since it is not
      fermented. I believe this is what Domostroi refers to as "mors" but can't
      check since I left my (library) copy at school.

      Moskow kvas can be made out of pretty much any fruits and berries, such as
      apples, raspberries, red currants, cherries, mountain ash berries (riabina),
      strawberies, or pears. Strawberries and raspberries require small wooden
      barrels and a somewhat complicated procedure -- ask me later if you want.
      The rest can be made in large glass jars. Fill out your jar completely with
      fruit or berries (uncut, I think) and add cold boiled water to fill. Place
      the jar in a cold place and wait about three days, when you can drink it with
      sugar added right in the glass if you want. Apple and red currant kvas are
      good with lemon rind in the jar. Note that one jar lends lots of kvas sinse
      you are supposed to refill it with cold boiled water as long as there is
      flavor left. It is essential that the berries and the fruit be absolutely
      unblemished since any damage may result in fermentation.

      So what about it, Yana, want to try?

      Liudmila
    • MHoll@xxx.xxx
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 5, 1999
        In a message dated 12/4/1999 10:37:56 AM Central Standard Time,
        jeffsmith2000@... writes:

        > [applause!!!] :)

        [Deep curtsey]

        Predslava.