The fur ringed helm.

  • Aaron Kavli
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 2:56 AM
      Greets,

      Having finally found a Russian looking SCA helm, I went about adding accutraments. I added a fur ring around the base of the helmet's cone, which I had thought I had seen on one of the many Russian armor sites I'd visited. But double checking them and my books, I can't seem to find any example of such fure on a helmet.

      Was I just imagining seeing said furry helm? Is there any examples of such that any of you have seen, or has some fantasy fare seeped its way into my feeble mind disguised as research?

      Thanks,
      Drugan Draganov

      ---

    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4 8:45 AM
        Greetings!

        Friday, May 02, 2003, 1:56:05 PM, you wrote:

        AK> Having finally found a Russian looking SCA helm, I went about adding accutraments.
        AK> I added a fur ring around the base of the helmet's cone, which I had thought I had seen
        Conanism, no history. AFAIR the visual image belongs to first
        illustrations to Conan saga. It must have been once copied from the
        islamic world helms, with turbans over them.
        AK> on one of the many
        AK> Russian armor sites I'd visited. But double checking them and my books,
        AK> I can't seem to find any example of such fure on a  helmet.
        They never existed. Turban-helms protected the steel hat from
        over-heating in the southern sun. A helm with a fur rim is no
        functional, it does not stop sunlight, it does not absorb the energy
        of the blow (if the helm is a Misyurka of 14-15 centuries), it is cut
        off by slightest cutting blows and even scratches. It imitates an
        eastern european fur hat, but has no convenience of a hat.

        Though, in a children's history book @Crusaders" that
        "used some re-creations by Mikhail Gorelik" there was something Saracen,
        a helm with a narrow rim looking like fur. Though it went not
        horizontally but sharply up in the middle of the forehead, as a rim of
        a Spanish helm forgot-its-name.

        --
        Bye,
        Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5 4:49 PM
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16 5:51 PM
            Hi,
            Just thought I'd second Alex's post -- I've never seen it. It's
            entirely possible that you saw a photo of someone wearing one on a
            russian reenactor site, but you know.. if we did research into armour
            based on photos from SCA fighter practices... ;)

            -Dmitriy

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Kavli" <qraid@b...> wrote:

            > Greets,
            >
            > Having finally found a Russian looking SCA helm, I went about adding
            accutraments. I added a fur ring around the base of the helmet's cone,
            which I had thought I had seen on one of the many Russian armor sites
            I'd visited. But double checking them and my books, I can't seem to
            find any example of such fure on a helmet.

            > Was I just imagining seeing said furry helm? Is there any examples
            of such that any of you have seen, or has some fantasy fare seeped
            its way into my feeble mind disguised as research?

            > Thanks,
            > Drugan Draganov
            >

            > ---

          • Kinjal of Moravia
            Message 5 of 6 , May 16 7:45 PM
              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Dmitriy Ryaboy" <dvryaboy@h...> wrote:

              There is certainly use of fur in Turkic and Persian influence, which
              would have crept up the Waterways. Certainly, any Scadian could not
              be accused of inapropiate dress because fur is included, Between
              Nordic and Turkic commercial influence probably any costume could be
              seen in 12th-13th century Slavic arena, cultural or not.

              Kinjal

              [edited by moderator. Too much quoting]
            • MHoll@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 16 8:39 PM
                In a message dated 5/16/2003 7:53:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
                dvryaboy@... writes:

                > Just thought I'd second Alex's post -- I've never seen it. It's
                > entirely possible that you saw a photo of someone wearing one on a
                > russian reenactor site, but you know.. if we did research into armour
                > based on photos from SCA fighter practices... ;)

                Unless the "helm" in question is Monomakh's "Hat" (Shapka Monomakha) -- not a
                helm and not a hat, really, but reminiscent of both visually.

                Predslava.