Re: Herbs

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
      In all of my research I have found reference to rosemary and dill,
      though many thoughts alude to a pungent drift that might allow
      onions or peppers.

      Kinjal
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
        Greetings

        KE> Greetings,

        KE> I was wondering if anyone had any information on period Russian herbs,
        KE> specifically in the area around Kiev? I am getting ready to start an herb
        KE> garden and thought I would take the chance to use as many period herbs as I
        KE> can find. Any help anyone could offer would be most appreciated.

        WHEN period? early medieval times is one thing, the times of
        principality of Lietuva is another. The latter is the time of swift
        "westernization" of the region, with recipes, clothes, habits etc
        borrowed from Poland.

        Anyway, blackcurrant leaves were a very ancient aromatizer (the very
        name smorodina comes from the word smrad, strong smell, as its leaves
        really have a strong flavor. I met some references to late medieval monastery
        kitchen books that mentioned blackcurrant berries/leaves infusions as
        a beverage used as tea long before tea was borrowed from China).

        I'd say no great difference between Kievan region & other steppe ones.
        I was born on the Volga. I saw no great difference in flora of Ukraine
        when I was there. Same thyme, same camomille, etc. But herbs were used
        for medicine, not in the least for seasoning. They used very little
        set of stronger spices, in Kievan Rus they knew mustard (gorushna/gorchitsa),
        and in late period even black pepper (from Krimea). To vary the taste
        they used rather various set of drinks (kvas & beer).

        --
        Bye,
        Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2003
          Thank you everyone for your comments, you have all given me things to think
          about. :-)

          My garden is currently running amuck with a very large rosemary bush, and a
          much smaller lavender plant, and I just recently planted seeds for
          chamomile, basil, coriander, and marjoram, so those will be the plants I
          will be focusing on for a while.

          Again, thanks for everyone's help.

          ~Katerina