Ideas for a Kaftan

  • deonisei syn Ralo
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
      I would like to construct a late 16th century kaftan for myself and have been doing a bit of reading about them, I'm overwhelmed to be honest. My persona is from 16th century Novgorod. As far as social status, I'm not filthy rich. My biggest questions are, colors, cut/style, fabric, collar style, etc. I've found a few patterns, persian and such, but nothing specifically labeled as Russian. Any suggestions?

      Thanks
      Denis

    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
        I wouldn't mind having some information about this myself. Thanks in advance.

        Isabelle de Foix
        Shire Brantestone
        Kingdom of Meridies
        I would like to construct a late 16th century kaftan for myself and have been doing a bit of reading about them, I'm overwhelmed to be honest. My persona is from 16th century Novgorod. As far as social status, I'm not filthy rich. My biggest questions are, colors, cut/style, fabric, collar style, etc. I've found a few patterns, persian and such, but nothing specifically labeled as Russian. Any suggestions?

        Thanks
        Denis

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
          Greetings Denis!

          Tuesday, April 29, 2003, 8:44:46 AM, you wrote:

          dsR> I would like to construct a late 16th century  kaftan for myself and have been doing
          dsR> a bit of reading about them, I'm overwhelmed to be honest.  My persona is from 16th
          dsR> century Novgorod.  As far
          dsR> as social status, I'm not filthy rich.  My biggest questions are, colors, cut/style,
          dsR> fabric, collar style, etc.  I've found a few patterns, persian and such, but nothing
          dsR> specifically labeled as
          dsR> Russian.  Any suggestions?

          Denis, afair after Ivan the III's conquering Hovgorod it swiftly
          became a marginal town though still standing on an important route. So
          by your persona's time there was no great difference between, say, Moscow and
          Novgorod/Pskov, that difference belonged to the times of Novgorod
          republic's independence. So imho don't try to find anything
          specifically Novgorodish (the realm was Muscovite by the time) or even
          Muscovite (as Novgorod lies to close to Hanseatic lands, etc).
          Actually, I'd take anything for a Kaftan. ANY cloth will do - silk, wool or
          cotton. AFAIR traditional Russian Kaftans had visible distinctions
          with "Polish kaftans" and "Hungarian Kaftans" of the 17 century. So
          take really ANY pattern that is not called "Polish" or "Hungarian" in
          the references (before the "time of the unrest", and you are
          creating the persona from the last peaceful decades before that,
          Russia didn't take much borrowing from Poland). Differences in
          patterns are more humble than it seems.

          You can take the Russian film Ermak for the background. The kaftans of
          the Ermak party (early-mid-1500s) were designed by the historians.

          --
          Bye,
          Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2003
            Alex, I tried, but could not find any references for the Film Ermak. Is that the full name of the film? Does anyone know if it is available in the US? The only thing I could find was a CD with music from Imperial Russia (and that was on amazon.com).

            Thanks for the help.
            Dennis

            >Tuesday, April 29, 2003, 8:44:46 AM, you wrote:

            <snip>

            >You can take the Russian film Ermak for the background. The kaftans of
            >the Ermak party (early-mid-1500s) were designed by the historians.
            >

            >--
            >Bye,
            >Alex mailto:Posadnik@...

          • Alexey Kiyaikin
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2003
              Greetings

              DK> Alex, I tried, but could not find any references for the Film Ermak.
              DK> Is that the full name of the film?  Does anyone know if it is available in the US?
              DK>   The only thing I could find was a CD with
              DK> music from Imperial Russia (and that was on amazon.com).

              The film (can't say if it's strictly a film or a series, 4 parts about
              1.5 hours each) was shot in about 1991-92. On TV it's advertised (and
              shown about annually) as a film. In Russia they sometimes declare that
              in
              1992, when the director was short of money, the US investors offered
              help but on condition Schwarzenegger plays Ermak. The director refused
              to, so the film was shot on Russian money and with Russian actors.
              The film must be somewhere in the I-net, though I am not
              sure if there is an English version. It must be, as there are not so
              many films of 1990s that are still popular.

              --
              Bye,
              Alex mailto:Posadnik@...