RE: [sig] Pattern help from KWH.

  • Jeanne Papanastasiou
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2003
      On an overhead or with graph paper.

      Soffya Appollonia Tudja
      http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
      three fleur-de-lys Or

      -----Original Message-----
      From: MoxFool@... [mailto:MoxFool@...]
      Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2003 6:56 PM
      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [sig] Pattern help from KWH.

      How does one enlarge the patterns (the ones on the graphs) from the Knowne
      World Handbook into a useable pattern?

      Zygmunt
    • Lente
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2003
        One way would be to blow them up on a copy machine but that could get
        expensive.

        When I took an undertunic pattern (which is graphed) from a friend's site
        and made a full-size pattern for myself I used my folding cardboard cutting
        board as the 1" graph paper and covered it in tissue paper to plot the full
        size pattern on. Well actually I used butcher paper but tissue paper allows
        you to see the graph of the cutting board easier. Pin the tissue paper to
        the cutting board so it doesn't try and move on you. You then basically get
        to count the squares on the book pattern piece and then match it on to your
        full size pattern peice. You will need some pencils, a carboard fold cutting
        board, pins, white tissue paper, a yardstick with a straight edge, and a
        pattern curve (right name?), I think Dritz has one for around $3 or so at
        Joanns or Hancocks. Plotting the partial curves takes more work but it can
        be done. I think doing something like a cotehardie I would start from a line
        down the center of the pattern piece and work out from it whatever the # of
        square to each side would be.

        I would also have your measurements to check that the size you are working
        on will fit with minor adjustment in the actual garment. So if the
        bodice/doublet is four pieces split your bust/chest measurement by 4 and you
        should be looking at having each peice be 1/4 the whole measurement plus
        seam allowance amount doubled and also any comfort ease you may want. So
        just a quick thing here, my bust measurement is something like 38inches and
        I usualy use a 1/2 inch seam allowance, and don't forget you need to add for
        each side. So 38/4=9.5...and 9.5+1sa=10.5 is what each section of a fitted 4
        part bodice at my bust measurement should be. Now say I am making a close
        fitting vest that is much less fitted than a bodice might be, so on it I
        might add anywhere from 3 to 4 inches of ease to my bust/chest measurement.
        Now we would use the 38+4 to get 42 as my starting bust measurement for a
        vest. so 42/4=10.5...and 10.5+1=11.5 is what each section of a four part
        vest pattern should be at my bust measurement, or a vest with the back on a
        fold of the fabric.

        One the tissue pattern is made, you can then use Reynolds plastic coated
        freezer paper to back the tissue paper pattern (and make it last) just by
        ironing it on the back side with the plastic coated side to the tissue
        paper.

        I hope this all makes sense.

        Kathws

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2003
          In a message dated 4/27/2003 5:12:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          jeanne@... writes:

          > On an overhead or with graph paper.
          >
          > Soffya Appollonia Tudja

          Thanks Sophia!

          Zygmunt

          "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." Mark Twain
          Tom Nadratowski <A HREF="http://www.footballguys.com/">Footballguys.com</A>

        • sismith42
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, MoxFool@a... wrote:
            > How does one enlarge the patterns (the ones on the graphs) from the
            Knowne
            > World Handbook into a useable pattern?
            >
            > Zygmunt

            What I did was take the measurements mentioned in the book
            (collarbone to nipple-line, collar to belly-button, etc) and drew
            them onto newspaper... from what I could tell, those patterns were
            more a "make this sort of shape" guide than actual patterns...

            Good luck! Stefania, the bumbling seamstress
          • MoxFool@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2003
              In a message dated 4/30/2003 10:21:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              sismith42@... writes:

              > What I did was take the measurements mentioned in the book
              > (collarbone to nipple-line, collar to belly-button, etc) and drew
              > them onto newspaper... from what I could tell, those patterns were
              > more a "make this sort of shape" guide than actual patterns...
              >
              > Good luck! Stefania, the bumbling seamstress

              Thanks Stefania!

            • yana@merr.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2003
                Nipple-line! Hee hee hee!! The more "proper" (non-hee hee) term is "bust
                points" or "between the bust-points."

                > What I did was take the measurements mentioned in the book
                > (collarbone to nipple-line, collar to belly-button, etc) and drew

                Sorry, had to put in my 2 kopeks, because I keep snickering. I am truly
                only 12 years old in my mind.

                --Yana, going back to work now.

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • sismith42
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2003
                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "yana@m..." <yana@m...> wrote:
                  > Nipple-line! Hee hee hee!! The more "proper" (non-hee hee) term
                  is "bust
                  > points" or "between the bust-points."
                  >
                  > > What I did was take the measurements mentioned in the book
                  > > (collarbone to nipple-line, collar to belly-button, etc) and drew
                  >
                  > Sorry, had to put in my 2 kopeks, because I keep snickering. I am
                  truly
                  > only 12 years old in my mind.

                  LOL! Thanks for the clarification :) Sorry to be crass, everyone...

                  Stefania

                  at least you all knew what I meant...?