sos culteral and garb help

  • Amy Ricketts
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2003
      Help !!!!!!

      Dose anyone know what class of people a daughter or grandaughter of a
      Apothecary would fall in? would it be a merchants peasants or gentlewomen?
      Becusse form what I have been reading it could be any of them. Next
      question dose any one have any imformation on what is called a preaty corner
      in russian homes. My mom reamebers one in her home growing up but dose not
      know a lote about it becusse at the time my grandfather came from Russia it
      was a bad time in history and he did not tell her a lote about things that
      were Russin thay were just there in the home. Last question I am looking for
      easy Russian womens garb and am not that great at sewing and need cut and
      sew patterns dose anyone know where I can get them. and I just got the
      intoroduction to russian costumes and am still comfused I thought sarafans
      were not perid? It would meam a graet deal to me if someone could point me
      in the right direction.

      Amy
      Scotishrose@...

    • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2003
        > Dose anyone know what class of people a daughter or grandaughter of a
        > Apothecary would fall in? would it be a merchants peasants or gentlewomen?

        It would depend, yes. I would stick with merchant class generally for that
        persona though.

        > Becusse form what I have been reading it could be any of them. Next
        > question dose any one have any imformation on what is called a preaty corner
        > in russian homes.

        Yes, I have some information. the 'pretty corner' is the ikon(s) are kept
        ... what do you want to know about it? _The Bathhouse at Midnight_, a
        historical survey of Russian superstitious practices, touches repeatedly
        on practices involving ikons, including the 'beautiful corner'.

        -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa jenne@...
        "American boys should not be seen dying on the nightly news. Wars should be
        over in three days or less, or before Congress invokes the War Powers
        Resolution. Victory must be assured in advance. And the American public
        must be all for it from the outset." -- Evan Thomas
      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2003
          Greetings Jenne!

          >> Becusse form what I have been reading it could be any of  them. Next
          >> question dose any one have any imformation on what is called a preaty corner
          >> in russian homes.

          jfn> Yes, I have some information. the 'pretty corner' is the ikon(s) are kept
          jfn> ... what do you want to know about it? _The Bathhouse at Midnight_, a
          jfn> historical survey of Russian superstitious practices, touches repeatedly
          jfn> on practices involving ikons, including the 'beautiful corner'.

          I'd call it not pretty but rather "best corner", as the Russian word
          Krasny does not mean the same thing as in Krasna Devitsa. It also has
          the name Bozhnitsa (God\gods' place). And it's
          placed to the right from the door ( from the point of view of the
          guest coming in). By the sides of icons, it was very often marked
          with a long towel hanging over and by its sides
          (with embroidered or woven patterns), which made Rybakov
          assume that towels once also bore holy images (in paganity times).

          --
          Bye,
          Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
            Hello. De lurking after a hiatus. The idea of towels once holding holy
            images: A story goes that the first icon made was when Christ wiped his face
            on a cloth, and this was sent to forgien ruler, there by curing him. a
            second piece is the fact that icons were/are not to be held with the bare
            hands, a cloth should be used. In services I've attended, this could be
            highly decorated/ embroidered altar type cloth, and is used in prosessions
            around the church. Sergius B
          • Alexey Kiyaikin
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
              Greetings

              dp> Hello. De lurking after a hiatus. The idea of towels once holding holy
              dp> images: A story goes that the first icon made was when Christ wiped his face
              dp> on a cloth, and this was sent to forgien ruler, there by curing him. a
              Nivvah! I mean pre-Christian gods, that were almost unrecognizable via
              long line of generations yet same shapes in different types of folk
              art: towels (playing important role in ceremonies), house carving,
              etc. Rybakov's idea (not only his, I guess) was that once in the "Holy
              corner" there was a shelf with the idols that kept the family, and
              some towels as another type of holy images.
              BTW, I know at least one real pagan, a descendant of a Ukrainian
              Cossack that was several centuries ago anathemed for his, ergm,
              free religious thoughts and experiments with magic, so
              he put a piece of wood instead of the icon and prayed to it. (a
              popular joke meaning an idiot in Russia is "His family prays to a
              stump", so that cossack literally followed it, with all his children &
              grandchildren. I don't think I like their descendant much, such an,
              ergm, morally free man.)
              dp> second piece is the fact that icons were/are not to be held with the bare
              dp> hands, a cloth should be used. In services I've attended, this could be
              dp> highly decorated/ embroidered altar type cloth, and is used in prosessions
              dp> around the church. Sergius B

              --
              Bye,
              Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2003
                That is "beautiful corner" or krasny ugol. Apparently
                always across from the door so it was the first thing
                seen and so the low doorway would force guests to bow
                to the icons. I haven't been able to decide whether
                the name derives from the icons or the red cloth or
                paint these corners were usually fdraped in. Just my
                guess.
                'dak

                http://search.yahoo.com