Slavic Ciphers - Numbers (Slovyans'ki Tsyfry)

  • Jeanne Papanastasiou
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7 8:46 AM
      Then some kind soul on one
      of the Carpatho-Rusyn message boards told me about an old Church Slavonic
      numbering system using letters of the alphabet (somewhat like Roman
      numerals, but using Cyrillic letters, and using a different scheme). He
      pointed me to the following links:
      http://ihor5a.freeyellow.com/slovcipher.html , and
      http://www.sv-luka.org/church_slavonic_numbers.htm . If someone does
      need to read these types of date, REMEMBER that the teen numbers are
      REVERSED. If you just remember that the dates in the teens are written
      the way we SAY them in English, that may help. For example, for April
      15th (>shudder!<) the 15 is written using A for 1 and E for 5, but
      written like FIF-TEEN (five-teen): EA, with the 5 first. All the other
      numbers are pretty much "normal".

      Soffya Appollonia Tudja
      http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
      three fleur-de-lys Or