Re: Slavic bowing?

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
      <snipped extensively by moderator. Watch the length of quoted material, folks.>

      I recall an ancient Thracian practice that could have influnce
      here, especially Kievan. The thumbs were hooked in the belt or sash
      and the upper body bent horizontal to the floor. The idea was to
      present the neck in a completely defenceless state.

      Kinjal
    • Jeanne Papanastasiou
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
        For some reason I get a chest type salute not bowing. It does seem weird.

        Soffya Appollonia Tudja
        http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
        three fleur-de-lys Or

        [Snipped extensively by moderator. Do not include an entire chain of posts in your messages.]
      • Dmitriy Ryaboy
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
          Baroness Anastasia wrote:
          > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian. The
          > Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands to
          > the side.
          > Alex, what do you say???
          > Baroness Anstasia>

          Not Alex, but also a native -- I've only seen/heard what Liudmila
          described. Unless there's been a cultural revolution I am not aware of
          during the last couple of years..

          From personal experience, one better have a strong lower back if
          performing this in a hat-heavy region :).

          I don't think the heel-clicking is appropriate for most of the period
          due to, well, lack of heels. This hurts when done in leather
          turnshoes! :)
          A lot of folks seem to be doing 16th century here, though, it might be
          ok for that time -- not my period of interest, so I can't give you any
          input.

          -Dmitriy
        • LiudmilaV@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
            In a message dated 4/4/2003 1:32:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            stasiwa@... writes:

            > Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
            > you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
            > Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
            > my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
            > Alex's opinion because he is there.

            Your Excellency,

            I might be wrong, but I assumed you wanted Alex's opinion because he is
            Russian. Therefore, I chose to remind you that my opinion is based on being a
            native of that land as well. I never said it was "Gospel" -- in fact, I said
            it was an extrapolation. That's why I would also like to know what Alex
            thinks (once we straightened out polite bowing from archery equipment), since
            he might have access to some info I can no longer obtain.

            Liudmila