Re: Slavic bowing?

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2 8:04 PM
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Jarrett" <gtg346g@m...> wrote:
      > Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was
      curious if the slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a
      pondering of an idle mind.

      > Mikhail Nicholaev
      > mka Patrick Jarrett

      I have done extensive research and may be of help. The whole Slavic
      area is a hotbed of development of many bow types. May I suggest
      that you first become familiar with all medieval bows used in the
      area, then we can discuss your area and development. One good
      source is a manufacturer in Finland. You can learn a lot here.
      http://www.traditional-archery-scandinavia.com/englisch/englisch.html

      You might also join the SCA-Archery Yahoo group and ask specific
      questions.

      Kinjal of Moravia
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2 8:33 PM
        Greetings!

        Monday, March 31, 2003, 9:53:37 AM, you wrote:

        PJ> Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was curious
        PJ> if the slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a pondering of an idle mind.

        No bow. No sword. No axe. NOTHING of specifically slavic pattern. The
        Slavic world was the source of somebody else's ideas compiled in an
        unusual way, but it invented nothing of its own.

        --
        Bye,
        Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3 6:05 PM
          <snipped extensively by moderator. Watch the length of quoted material, folks.>

          I recall an ancient Thracian practice that could have influnce
          here, especially Kievan. The thumbs were hooked in the belt or sash
          and the upper body bent horizontal to the floor. The idea was to
          present the neck in a completely defenceless state.

          Kinjal
        • Jeanne Papanastasiou
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4 8:05 AM
            For some reason I get a chest type salute not bowing. It does seem weird.

            Soffya Appollonia Tudja
            http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
            three fleur-de-lys Or

            [Snipped extensively by moderator. Do not include an entire chain of posts in your messages.]
          • Marilee Humason
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4 1:17 PM
              --- LiudmilaV@... wrote:
              > Standard Time,
              > stasiwa@... writes:
              >

              > > > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian.
              > The
              > > Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands
              > > the side.
              > > Alex, what do you say???
              > > Baroness Anstasia>
              > >

              > I'd like to know what Alex says, too. But I'd like
              > to remind you that I
              > happen to be from there as well :)
              >
              > Liudmila

              Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
              you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
              Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
              my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
              Alex's opinion because he is there.
              regards,
              Baroness Anastasia

              > removed]

              http://tax.yahoo.com
            • Yana
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4 2:21 PM
                >Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
                >you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
                >Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
                >my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
                >Alex's opinion because he is there.
                >regards,
                >Baroness Anastasia

                Please be careful of your tone, and avoid all caps (it means that you are
                shouting). Also, watch for smilies. They are usually added deliberately,
                because the author knows what they are saying could be taken as criticism.

                --Yana, moderator
              • Dmitriy Ryaboy
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4 3:28 PM
                  Baroness Anastasia wrote:
                  > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian. The
                  > Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands to
                  > the side.
                  > Alex, what do you say???
                  > Baroness Anstasia>

                  Not Alex, but also a native -- I've only seen/heard what Liudmila
                  described. Unless there's been a cultural revolution I am not aware of
                  during the last couple of years..

                  From personal experience, one better have a strong lower back if
                  performing this in a hat-heavy region :).

                  I don't think the heel-clicking is appropriate for most of the period
                  due to, well, lack of heels. This hurts when done in leather
                  turnshoes! :)
                  A lot of folks seem to be doing 16th century here, though, it might be
                  ok for that time -- not my period of interest, so I can't give you any
                  input.

                  -Dmitriy
                • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4 7:31 PM
                    In a message dated 4/4/2003 1:32:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                    stasiwa@... writes:

                    > Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
                    > you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
                    > Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
                    > my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
                    > Alex's opinion because he is there.

                    Your Excellency,

                    I might be wrong, but I assumed you wanted Alex's opinion because he is
                    Russian. Therefore, I chose to remind you that my opinion is based on being a
                    native of that land as well. I never said it was "Gospel" -- in fact, I said
                    it was an extrapolation. That's why I would also like to know what Alex
                    thinks (once we straightened out polite bowing from archery equipment), since
                    he might have access to some info I can no longer obtain.

                    Liudmila