Re: [sig] new to group looking for garb help

  • Marilee Humason
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2003
      Hi,
      A lot of us do Russian, I do 16th c. Russian, but the
      gist of what most of us think is that sarafans were
      not worn in 14-15th century, we are still divided as
      to whether they are period for 16th early 17th
      century.
      We don't have an extant sarafan for that time period,
      only later, however some books have drawings of them,
      however the period sources don't actually name them by
      name, etc. etc. etc.
      You would wear your hair in braids, two or more, a
      small kokoshnik on your head, or nothing, you got
      veiled and capped when you got married.
      I think there is a couple of Russians in the SF area,
      I am sure they will respond to your message.
      Good luck!!
      Baroness Anastasia

      http://tax.yahoo.com