Re: Slavic bowing?

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Jarrett" <gtg346g@m...> wrote:
      > Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was
      curious if the slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a
      pondering of an idle mind.

      > Mikhail Nicholaev
      > mka Patrick Jarrett

      I have done extensive research and may be of help. The whole Slavic
      area is a hotbed of development of many bow types. May I suggest
      that you first become familiar with all medieval bows used in the
      area, then we can discuss your area and development. One good
      source is a manufacturer in Finland. You can learn a lot here.
      http://www.traditional-archery-scandinavia.com/englisch/englisch.html

      You might also join the SCA-Archery Yahoo group and ask specific
      questions.

      Kinjal of Moravia
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
        Greetings!

        Monday, March 31, 2003, 9:53:37 AM, you wrote:

        PJ> Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was curious
        PJ> if the slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a pondering of an idle mind.

        No bow. No sword. No axe. NOTHING of specifically slavic pattern. The
        Slavic world was the source of somebody else's ideas compiled in an
        unusual way, but it invented nothing of its own.

        --
        Bye,
        Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
          While I was in Poland, I was bowed to by a gentleman in a museum. He
          bowed as described by Liudmila, except he clicked his heels prior to
          bending at the waist.
          Is the heel click a post-period affectation?
          Landolf

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, LiudmilaV@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 4/2/2003 8:06:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          > gtg346g@m... writes:
          >

          > > Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was
          curious if the
          > > slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a pondering of
          an idle
          > > mind.
          > >
          > > Mikhail Nicholaev
          > > mka Patrick Jarrett
          > >

          > Do you mean bowing to be polite? From your waist down, right hand
          goring from
          > the heart down. The more important the person you are bowing to,
          the lower
          > you go.
          >
          > That is an extrapolation, though -- there are certainly references
          to bowing
          > in various period sources, but what I describe is really an
          authentic Russian
          > post-period bow.
          >
          > Liudmila
          >
          > Liudmila

        • Marilee Humason
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
            --- LiudmilaV@... wrote:
            > Standard Time,
            > gtg346g@... writes:
            >

            > > Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web,
            > but I was curious if the
            > > slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a
            > pondering of an idle
            > > mind.
            > >
            > > Mikhail Nicholaev
            > > mka Patrick Jarrett
            > >

            > Do you mean bowing to be polite? From your waist
            > down, right hand goring from
            > the heart down. The more important the person you
            > are bowing to, the lower
            > you go.
            > > Liudmila
            >
            > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian. The
            Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands to
            the side.
            Alex, what do you say???
            Baroness Anstasia>

            http://tax.yahoo.com
          • Kinjal of Moravia
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
              <snipped extensively by moderator. Watch the length of quoted material, folks.>

              I recall an ancient Thracian practice that could have influnce
              here, especially Kievan. The thumbs were hooked in the belt or sash
              and the upper body bent horizontal to the floor. The idea was to
              present the neck in a completely defenceless state.

              Kinjal
            • LiudmilaV@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
                In a message dated 4/3/2003 1:35:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                stasiwa@... writes:

                > > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian. The
                > Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands to
                > the side.
                > Alex, what do you say???
                > Baroness Anstasia>

                I'd like to know what Alex says, too. But I'd like to remind you that I
                happen to be from there as well :)

                Liudmila

              • Jeanne Papanastasiou
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                  For some reason I get a chest type salute not bowing. It does seem weird.

                  Soffya Appollonia Tudja
                  http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
                  three fleur-de-lys Or

                  [Snipped extensively by moderator. Do not include an entire chain of posts in your messages.]
                • Marilee Humason
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                    --- LiudmilaV@... wrote:
                    > Standard Time,
                    > stasiwa@... writes:
                    >

                    > > > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian.
                    > The
                    > > Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands
                    > > the side.
                    > > Alex, what do you say???
                    > > Baroness Anstasia>
                    > >

                    > I'd like to know what Alex says, too. But I'd like
                    > to remind you that I
                    > happen to be from there as well :)
                    >
                    > Liudmila

                    Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
                    you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
                    Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
                    my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
                    Alex's opinion because he is there.
                    regards,
                    Baroness Anastasia

                    > removed]

                    http://tax.yahoo.com
                  • Yana
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                      >Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
                      >you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
                      >Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
                      >my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
                      >Alex's opinion because he is there.
                      >regards,
                      >Baroness Anastasia

                      Please be careful of your tone, and avoid all caps (it means that you are
                      shouting). Also, watch for smilies. They are usually added deliberately,
                      because the author knows what they are saying could be taken as criticism.

                      --Yana, moderator
                    • Dmitriy Ryaboy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                        Baroness Anastasia wrote:
                        > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian. The
                        > Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands to
                        > the side.
                        > Alex, what do you say???
                        > Baroness Anstasia>

                        Not Alex, but also a native -- I've only seen/heard what Liudmila
                        described. Unless there's been a cultural revolution I am not aware of
                        during the last couple of years..

                        From personal experience, one better have a strong lower back if
                        performing this in a hat-heavy region :).

                        I don't think the heel-clicking is appropriate for most of the period
                        due to, well, lack of heels. This hurts when done in leather
                        turnshoes! :)
                        A lot of folks seem to be doing 16th century here, though, it might be
                        ok for that time -- not my period of interest, so I can't give you any
                        input.

                        -Dmitriy
                      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                          In a message dated 4/4/2003 1:32:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                          stasiwa@... writes:

                          > Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
                          > you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
                          > Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
                          > my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
                          > Alex's opinion because he is there.

                          Your Excellency,

                          I might be wrong, but I assumed you wanted Alex's opinion because he is
                          Russian. Therefore, I chose to remind you that my opinion is based on being a
                          native of that land as well. I never said it was "Gospel" -- in fact, I said
                          it was an extrapolation. That's why I would also like to know what Alex
                          thinks (once we straightened out polite bowing from archery equipment), since
                          he might have access to some info I can no longer obtain.

                          Liudmila