new to group looking for garb help

  • Amy Ricketts
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi,
      I am new to the group and just starting a Russian persons and an quit
      excited about it !!!!!!!!!
      My question is dose anyone know if sarafans were worn in 14-15th Moscow
      and what the proper headwear for a singal women is ? Also is there anyone in
      the Sanfrancisco or surronding area that boes a russian persona who would be
      willing to mentor me?

      Anna Mikhail

      Scotishrose@...

    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2003
        Hi,
        A lot of us do Russian, I do 16th c. Russian, but the
        gist of what most of us think is that sarafans were
        not worn in 14-15th century, we are still divided as
        to whether they are period for 16th early 17th
        century.
        We don't have an extant sarafan for that time period,
        only later, however some books have drawings of them,
        however the period sources don't actually name them by
        name, etc. etc. etc.
        You would wear your hair in braids, two or more, a
        small kokoshnik on your head, or nothing, you got
        veiled and capped when you got married.
        I think there is a couple of Russians in the SF area,
        I am sure they will respond to your message.
        Good luck!!
        Baroness Anastasia

        http://tax.yahoo.com