Slavic bowing?

  • Patrick Jarrett
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 30 9:53 PM
      Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was curious if the slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a pondering of an idle mind.

      Mikhail Nicholaev
      mka Patrick Jarrett

    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Jarrett" <gtg346g@m...> wrote:
        > Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was
        curious if the slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a
        pondering of an idle mind.

        > Mikhail Nicholaev
        > mka Patrick Jarrett

        I have done extensive research and may be of help. The whole Slavic
        area is a hotbed of development of many bow types. May I suggest
        that you first become familiar with all medieval bows used in the
        area, then we can discuss your area and development. One good
        source is a manufacturer in Finland. You can learn a lot here.
        http://www.traditional-archery-scandinavia.com/englisch/englisch.html

        You might also join the SCA-Archery Yahoo group and ask specific
        questions.

        Kinjal of Moravia
      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2003
          Greetings!

          Monday, March 31, 2003, 9:53:37 AM, you wrote:

          PJ> Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was curious
          PJ> if the slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a pondering of an idle mind.

          No bow. No sword. No axe. NOTHING of specifically slavic pattern. The
          Slavic world was the source of somebody else's ideas compiled in an
          unusual way, but it invented nothing of its own.

          --
          Bye,
          Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
            In a message dated 4/2/2003 8:06:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            gtg346g@... writes:

            > Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was curious if the
            > slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a pondering of an idle
            > mind.
            >
            > Mikhail Nicholaev
            > mka Patrick Jarrett

            Do you mean bowing to be polite? From your waist down, right hand goring from
            the heart down. The more important the person you are bowing to, the lower
            you go.

            That is an extrapolation, though -- there are certainly references to bowing
            in various period sources, but what I describe is really an authentic Russian
            post-period bow.

            Liudmila

            Liudmila

          • Lente
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
              So would this be used in hungary too? Have an early period magyar persona
              means to me curtseying in pants seems a little weird.

              Kathws

              > In a message dated 4/2/2003 8:06:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              > gtg346g@... writes:
              >

              > > Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was curious if
              the
              > > slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a pondering of an idle
              > > mind.
              > >
              > > Mikhail Nicholaev
              > > mka Patrick Jarrett
              > >

              > Do you mean bowing to be polite? From your waist down, right hand goring
              from
              > the heart down. The more important the person you are bowing to, the lower
              > you go.
              >
              > That is an extrapolation, though -- there are certainly references to
              bowing
              > in various period sources, but what I describe is really an authentic
              Russian
              > post-period bow.
              >
              > Liudmila
              >
              > Liudmila

            • pan_landolf
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
                While I was in Poland, I was bowed to by a gentleman in a museum. He
                bowed as described by Liudmila, except he clicked his heels prior to
                bending at the waist.
                Is the heel click a post-period affectation?
                Landolf

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, LiudmilaV@a... wrote:
                > In a message dated 4/2/2003 8:06:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                > gtg346g@m... writes:
                >

                > > Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web, but I was
                curious if the
                > > slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a pondering of
                an idle
                > > mind.
                > >
                > > Mikhail Nicholaev
                > > mka Patrick Jarrett
                > >

                > Do you mean bowing to be polite? From your waist down, right hand
                goring from
                > the heart down. The more important the person you are bowing to,
                the lower
                > you go.
                >
                > That is an extrapolation, though -- there are certainly references
                to bowing
                > in various period sources, but what I describe is really an
                authentic Russian
                > post-period bow.
                >
                > Liudmila
                >
                > Liudmila

              • Marilee Humason
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
                  --- LiudmilaV@... wrote:
                  > Standard Time,
                  > gtg346g@... writes:
                  >

                  > > Well I couldn't come up with anything on the web,
                  > but I was curious if the
                  > > slavic cultures had a specific type of bow? Just a
                  > pondering of an idle
                  > > mind.
                  > >
                  > > Mikhail Nicholaev
                  > > mka Patrick Jarrett
                  > >

                  > Do you mean bowing to be polite? From your waist
                  > down, right hand goring from
                  > the heart down. The more important the person you
                  > are bowing to, the lower
                  > you go.
                  > > Liudmila
                  >
                  > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian. The
                  Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands to
                  the side.
                  Alex, what do you say???
                  Baroness Anstasia>

                  http://tax.yahoo.com
                • Kinjal of Moravia
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
                    <snipped extensively by moderator. Watch the length of quoted material, folks.>

                    I recall an ancient Thracian practice that could have influnce
                    here, especially Kievan. The thumbs were hooked in the belt or sash
                    and the upper body bent horizontal to the floor. The idea was to
                    present the neck in a completely defenceless state.

                    Kinjal
                  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 3, 2003
                      In a message dated 4/3/2003 1:35:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                      stasiwa@... writes:

                      > > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian. The
                      > Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands to
                      > the side.
                      > Alex, what do you say???
                      > Baroness Anstasia>

                      I'd like to know what Alex says, too. But I'd like to remind you that I
                      happen to be from there as well :)

                      Liudmila

                    • Jeanne Papanastasiou
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                        For some reason I get a chest type salute not bowing. It does seem weird.

                        Soffya Appollonia Tudja
                        http://www.aeonline.biz/Links.htm
                        three fleur-de-lys Or

                        [Snipped extensively by moderator. Do not include an entire chain of posts in your messages.]
                      • Marilee Humason
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                          --- LiudmilaV@... wrote:
                          > Standard Time,
                          > stasiwa@... writes:
                          >

                          > > > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian.
                          > The
                          > > Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands
                          > > the side.
                          > > Alex, what do you say???
                          > > Baroness Anstasia>
                          > >

                          > I'd like to know what Alex says, too. But I'd like
                          > to remind you that I
                          > happen to be from there as well :)
                          >
                          > Liudmila

                          Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
                          you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
                          Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
                          my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
                          Alex's opinion because he is there.
                          regards,
                          Baroness Anastasia

                          > removed]

                          http://tax.yahoo.com
                        • Yana
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                            >Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
                            >you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
                            >Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
                            >my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
                            >Alex's opinion because he is there.
                            >regards,
                            >Baroness Anastasia

                            Please be careful of your tone, and avoid all caps (it means that you are
                            shouting). Also, watch for smilies. They are usually added deliberately,
                            because the author knows what they are saying could be taken as criticism.

                            --Yana, moderator
                          • Dmitriy Ryaboy
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                              Baroness Anastasia wrote:
                              > I read that the hand over the heart was Persian. The
                              > Russian way is from the waist with arms and hands to
                              > the side.
                              > Alex, what do you say???
                              > Baroness Anstasia>

                              Not Alex, but also a native -- I've only seen/heard what Liudmila
                              described. Unless there's been a cultural revolution I am not aware of
                              during the last couple of years..

                              From personal experience, one better have a strong lower back if
                              performing this in a hat-heavy region :).

                              I don't think the heel-clicking is appropriate for most of the period
                              due to, well, lack of heels. This hurts when done in leather
                              turnshoes! :)
                              A lot of folks seem to be doing 16th century here, though, it might be
                              ok for that time -- not my period of interest, so I can't give you any
                              input.

                              -Dmitriy
                            • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 4, 2003
                                In a message dated 4/4/2003 1:32:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                stasiwa@... writes:

                                > Before you get yourself all worked up, I would remind
                                > you that no ones OPINION should be treated as Gospel.
                                > Not yours, not mine, not anyones. We have on this page
                                > my opinion, and your opinion, I only thought to get
                                > Alex's opinion because he is there.

                                Your Excellency,

                                I might be wrong, but I assumed you wanted Alex's opinion because he is
                                Russian. Therefore, I chose to remind you that my opinion is based on being a
                                native of that land as well. I never said it was "Gospel" -- in fact, I said
                                it was an extrapolation. That's why I would also like to know what Alex
                                thinks (once we straightened out polite bowing from archery equipment), since
                                he might have access to some info I can no longer obtain.

                                Liudmila