Re[2]: [sig] New and A Question

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2003
      Greetings!

      Sunday, March 23, 2003, 1:40:40 AM, you wrote:

      DaGS> I come to you, a newcomer to your group, hat in hand, to beg information of you.
      DaGS> I have been asked to create a garment for a gentleman that is similar to what the
      DaGS> Mari tribe in Russia wore
      DaGS> before being over-run by Ivan the Terrible. He was able to provide me with present-day
      DaGS> photos of Mari men in "traditional folk costume". This phrase alone makes me twitch and
      DaGS> my inner eyebrow
      DaGS> raises in suspicion. Does anyone have any knowledge of this tribe, or whre I could find
      DaGS> documentation of their clothing? Would it be the same as other Russian clothing of the
      DaGS> same era? I would
      DaGS> like this to be as close to authentic as possible.
      Contact me in a week (sorry, I can be too dug in my mundane work to
      remember myself), I'll answer your question. Mari costume can be
      re-constructed using the Mordva, Chuvash and "more Finnish" neighbors.
      I have the academic editions "Peoples of the Volga" including Mari,
      but have desperately no time to dig into it and no scanner to make you
      do the translation from Russian.

      --
      Bye,
      Alex mailto:Posadnik@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2003
        > I come to you, a newcomer to your group, hat in hand, to beg
        >information of you. I have been asked to create a garment for a gentleman
        >that is similar to what the Mari tribe in Russia wore before being
        >over-run by Ivan the Terrible. He was able to provide me with present-day
        >photos of Mari men in "traditional folk costume". This phrase alone makes
        >me twitch and my inner eyebrow raises in suspicion. Does anyone have any
        >knowledge of this tribe, or whre I could find documentation of their
        >clothing? Would it be the same as other Russian clothing of the same era?
        >I would like this to be as close to authentic as possible.

        Urk. I don't know if it will help or I'll be able to find it, but
        somewhere I have a packet on Finnish period garb, sent to me by a lady in
        Finland. I will see if there's anything useful in there... if I can find
        it.

        -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa jenne@...
        "The tumult and the shouting dies/The captains and the kings depart
        Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice/An humble and a contrite heart."
        -- Rudyard Kipling, Recessional
      • Dianne and Greg Stucki
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2003
          Thank you Jadwiga! I would really appreciate it!

          Laurensa

          [Message edited by moderator. Please do not include entire posts in your own posts.]