Re: Translation help

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 18, 1999

      Predslava wrote:
      >If it's <branaia>, it is a weaving technique, and it means with woven-in
      >patterns.

      My dictionary simply said it was an adjective meaning "embroidered". I
      looked up "brocade" (what I consider "woven-in patterns") and it wasn't
      "branaia", so maybe it just means "embroidery technique"? How about giving
      us the sentence the phrase appears in so we have some context to go off of?
      What page are you on? I'd like to follow along in my copy. :)

      --Yana
    • Christine Jacobs
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 19, 1999
        Ooops, it's "branaia"! Please forgive my terrible
        transliteration! :)

        Do you know anything about the technique itself? How
        it was done? I'm working on the chapter about fabrics
        and clothing, and the term is several times every
        page, but it's never fully described, for example:
        "Sredi sherstyanykh i polusherstyanykh tkanei
        vstrechayutsya tkani kletchatyye i polosatyye. Na
        sherstyanykh tkanyakh nakhodyat vyshivki, sdelannyye
        "branoi" tekhnikoi." (Again, sorry about the
        transliteration - Russian fonts don't seem to work too
        well over email...) Also: "V etikh zhe kurganakh
        obnaruzheny i gladkie sherstyanyye tkani polotnyanogo
        perepleteniya s vyshivvkoi, sdelannoi dopolnitel'nym
        utkom - "branoi" tekhnikoi."

        Any ideas?

        Thanks for your help!!
        -- Kseniia

        --- MHoll@... wrote:
        > From: MHoll@...

        > Daylight Time,
        > chrstnj@... writes:
        >
        > > Anybody know what "brannaya tekhnika" would
        > translate
        > > into? It's from _Drevniaia Rus: Byt i kultura_,
        > and
        > > it's describing some kind of weaving technique,
        > as far
        > > as I can tell.
        >
        > If it's <branaia>, it is a weaving technique, and it
        > means with woven-in
        > patterns.
        >
        > But if it's <brannaia> (2 n), then it comes from
        > <bran'>: 1) insults, bad
        > language, or 2) fight, war, i.e in either case, it
        > would be a fighting
        > word..... :-) Sowy... couldn't resist.
        >
        > So double-check the spelling, and if you want more
        > details, I can try to
        > translate if you send me the text.
        >
        > Predslava

        > ----------------------------
        >
        > ~ FREE Games & CA$H Prizes! ~ $55,000+
        > Awarded Monthly ~
        > Welcome to Gamesville.com-- Home of the World's
        > Biggest & Best Free Games
        > Play Three-Eyed Bingo, Quick-Draw Poker, Pop Quiz
        > & Picturama FREE!
        > http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/gamesville4 ">Click
        > Here</a>

        > Slavic Interest Group homepage:
        > http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html

        =====
        Kseniia Smol'nyanina mka: Christine Jacobs
        of Mountain Freehold chrstnj@...

        "I shall never permit myself to stoop so low as to hate another man." - Booker T. Washington

        http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/3079
      • MHoll@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 19, 1999
          In a message dated 10/19/1999 7:20:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
          chrstnj@... writes:

          > Do you know anything about the technique itself? How
          > it was done?

          Give me a couple of days, I'll go dig in my sources. I've got a lot of moving
          stuff coming in tomorrow, so I doubt I'll be able to do research. But I think
          I can find some answers.

          Predslava
        • vikarrw13
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
            Hallo,
            Exuse for my poor English
            I think the translation could be
            Obihodniki give list of day food/day menu/ and give a year circle of
            food for fast days mostly
            Obihodniki- are books that consist of list of food/in this context/
            Viktor Barabanov
          • aldo
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
              It means

              ANCIENT LTHUANIAN CLOTHES AND FOOTWEAR

              Aldo
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                Yeah, it looks interesting.
                THL Isabelle de Foix
                Shire Brantestone
                Kingdom of Meridies

                 Support your friendly local autistics...........I'm one of them.

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                  OK, well, Asfridr posted the initial link on her LJ
                  (http://pearl.livejournal.com/), but thanks to that, I
                  have found my New Best Friends, and they are KAUP, a
                  1st millenia Scandinavian & surrounding areas
                  reenactment group.

                  http://club-kaup.narod.ru/en/index.htm

                  Through the English site, and the assistance of
                  Babelfish for the pages that are not yet in English,
                  I've spent most of this quiet day at work getting
                  WILDLY INSPIRED.

                  The Lithuanian book is scanned, page by page, as well
                  as several other articles and books, with LOTS and
                  LOTS of images and diagrams. CHANDELIERS! Is too
                  much...http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table97.jpg
                  (ok, maybe incense burners...)

                  There's also a lot of photos from museums.

                  Have fun. Lord knows, I am!!!
                  --Sfandra

                  --- Patricia Hefner

                  ******************
                  Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                  Haus Von Drakenklaue
                  Kingdom of the East
                  ******************
                  Never 'pearl' your butt.
                • Patoodle@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                    That book cover makes me DROOL!!! Me want book!!!

                    Call me clueless, or perhaps sleepy after my lunch, but I can't find the scanned book on KAUP's Web site. Is there a table of contents or something?

                    Thanks! (Aciu!)

                    In service,
                    Patricia of Trakai

                    ******************

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                      Pop over to the Russian version of the page, then
                      Babelfish it. There's actually MORE on the Russian
                      versions of the pages than the English.

                      On the Reconstruction page in Russian, this Lithuanian
                      book is the last of the 8 books listed. (the first
                      one is Drevnaia Rus: Byt I Kultura!) On the English
                      version of the page, only 5 books are listed.

                      --Sfandra

                    • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                        On the Russian Version of the site under "reconstruction" or "�������������" there is pretty much entire book with ilustrations to dress, decoration and multiple other things.

                        Lada

                        Oooooh...
                        SHINY!

                        ************ ******

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                          Just to follow up. The book si available in the New York Public Library and it is part of a 20 volume archeological work.

                          http://catnyp.nypl.org/search?/tArkheologi%7B235%7Di%7B236%7Da+%28Izdanie+v+20+tomakh%29/tarkheologiia+izdanie+v+++20+tomakh/-3%2C-1%2C0%2CB/frameset&FF=tarkheologiia+izdanie+v+++20+tomakh&1%2C%2C4

                          I'm going to look into getting my hands on a copy of this book. Since it's 367pgs long... i dont' thin xeroxing it is an option well atleats i'm not willing to make that investment. I know we can just print it off the internet. The ilustrations in it are quite awersome.

                          Lada

                          Oooooh...
                          SHINY!

                          ************ ******

                          Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

                          Haus Von Drakenklaue

                          Kingdom of the East

                          ************ ******

                          Never 'pearl' your butt.

                        • L.M. Kies
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                            For those who are Russian-impaired, Chapter 4 (on clothing) is translated into English on my website.
                            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html

                            I hadn't managed to get copies of the other chapters to translate before. Thanks for finding KAUP! They're missing a few chapters right now, but what they've got is more than enough to expand my list of translation projects most distressingly. :-)

                            Sofya

                            ************ ******

                            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

                            Haus Von Drakenklaue

                            Kingdom of the East

                            ************ ******

                            Never 'pearl' your butt.

                          • Greg Hacke
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                              If you would like some assistance in translating, I would love to help. It
                              would allow me to bone back up on my russian in a manner I would actually
                              enjoy ;-)

                              You can contact me off list at greghacke at gmail dot com

                              _____

                              http://www.strangel <http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html>

                              --- On Wed, 8/13/08, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo.
                              From: Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo. <mailto:ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>
                              com>
                              To: sig@yahoogroups. <mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com> com
                              Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 7:20 PM

                              --- On Wed, 8/13/08, Sfandra <seonaid13@yahoo.
                              From: Sfandra <seonaid13@yahoo. <mailto:seonaid13%40yahoo.com> com>
                              To: sig@yahoogroups. <mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com> com
                              Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 2:47 PM

                              ************ ******

                              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

                              Haus Von Drakenklaue

                              Kingdom of the East

                            • Joseph Belcher
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 16, 2013
                                I’m looking for the correct translation to “strong green wine”.

                                In my research of Russia I have come across the term “strong green wine”. It is mentioned in the English versions of the bylinas, specifically in Dobrynya and the Dragon. Not being able to read Russian (or Ukranian) I’m not sure of the correct translation.

                                I assume the bylinas I find in English (Folk Tales from the Russian and The epic songs of Russia, printed in 1906 and 1913) are translations of earlier printed Cyrillic books. If I can get the original term used in those books I can further my research.

                                Thank you to anyone that can help with the translation and/or Slavic language sources.

                                -Halbrust

                              • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 16, 2013
                                  Greetings!

                                  Зелено вино, the late-period moonshine.
                                  It is also mentioned in the Sadko (пил зелено вино). The ethimology must be explained in the Pokhlyobkin's History of Vodka. AFAIR the explanations, originally it referred to зелье (poison/potion), not зеленый (green).

                                  Четверг, 16 мая 2013, 17:31 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                                  >I’m looking for the correct translation to “strong green wine”.
                                  >
                                  >In my research of Russia I have come across the term “strong green wine”. It is mentioned in the English versions of the bylinas, specifically in Dobrynya and the Dragon. Not being able to read Russian (or Ukranian) I’m not sure of the correct translation.
                                  >
                                  >I assume the bylinas I find in English (Folk Tales from the Russian and The epic songs of Russia, printed in 1906 and 1913) are translations of earlier printed Cyrillic books. If I can get the original term used in those books I can further my research.
                                  >
                                  >Thank you to anyone that can help with the translation and/or Slavic language sources.
                                  >
                                  >-Halbrust

                                • Joseph Belcher
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 20, 2013
                                    Thank you Alexey!
                                    I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.

                                    According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.

                                    If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                                    Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?

                                    -Halbrust

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 20, 2013
                                      Greetings!

                                      Actually, the Kievan cycle bylinas were composed in 9 to 14 centuries, Dobrynia & the Serpent being (one of )the oldest. The "Green Wine" is the obvious late-period (and/or post-period) re-edition of the story. All the same, the oldest known published source of Bylinas is afair Kisha Danilov's Songs, about 1740; so there's no "original text" available.
                                      The original source could refer to meads, beers jr wines, there was not a great variety of alcoholic drinks in Kievan Russia: wines were imported, meads and beers were home-made.

                                      Понедельник, 20 мая 2013, 12:27 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                                      >Thank you Alexey!
                                      >I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.
                                      >
                                      >According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.
                                      >
                                      >If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                                      >Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?
                                      >
                                      >-Halbrust

                                    • Joseph Belcher
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 23, 2013
                                        More questions asked off-list

                                        -Halbrust

                                        Actually, the Kievan cycle bylinas were composed in 9 to 14 centuries, Dobrynia & the Serpent being (one of )the oldest. The "Green Wine" is the obvious late-period (and/or post-period) re-edition of the story. All the same, the oldest known published source of Bylinas is afair Kisha Danilov's Songs, about 1740; so there's no "original text" available.
                                        The original source could refer to meads, beers jr wines, there was not a great variety of alcoholic drinks in Kievan Russia: wines were imported, meads and beers were home-made.

                                        Понедельник, 20 мая 2013, 12:27 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                                        >Thank you Alexey!
                                        >I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.
                                        >
                                        >According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.
                                        >
                                        >If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                                        >Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?
                                        >
                                        >-Halbrust

                                      • Joseph Belcher
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013
                                          I'm digging and digging for evidence that doma or domu is the correct pre-1600 term for a Russian household or family.

                                          I have several passages from a 1617 book using the term дома. Is anyone willing to look over some scans and see if any of the uses apply in the way I want/need them to?

                                          I've attempted using Google translate, but I'm having little to no luck. The images are scanned, and so I can not cut and paste text. Trying to type in the correct letters is not working very well.

                                          -Halbrust

                                        • Anya Stickney
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                                            I'm willing to help. If you are on facebook, you cat post them to the
                                            facebook SIG page. That way, multiple people can see them and help. Always
                                            good to have multiple people's opinions with this sort of thing. Or perhaps
                                            you can post them to the file section of this group?

                                            Anya