Re: Translation help

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 18, 1999
      In a message dated 10/18/1999 6:20:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
      chrstnj@... writes:

      > Anybody know what "brannaya tekhnika" would translate
      > into? It's from _Drevniaia Rus: Byt i kultura_, and
      > it's describing some kind of weaving technique, as far
      > as I can tell.

      If it's <branaia>, it is a weaving technique, and it means with woven-in
      patterns.

      But if it's <brannaia> (2 n), then it comes from <bran'>: 1) insults, bad
      language, or 2) fight, war, i.e in either case, it would be a fighting
      word..... :-) Sowy... couldn't resist.

      So double-check the spelling, and if you want more details, I can try to
      translate if you send me the text.

      Predslava
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 18, 1999

        Predslava wrote:
        >If it's <branaia>, it is a weaving technique, and it means with woven-in
        >patterns.

        My dictionary simply said it was an adjective meaning "embroidered". I
        looked up "brocade" (what I consider "woven-in patterns") and it wasn't
        "branaia", so maybe it just means "embroidery technique"? How about giving
        us the sentence the phrase appears in so we have some context to go off of?
        What page are you on? I'd like to follow along in my copy. :)

        --Yana
      • Christine Jacobs
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 19, 1999
          Ooops, it's "branaia"! Please forgive my terrible
          transliteration! :)

          Do you know anything about the technique itself? How
          it was done? I'm working on the chapter about fabrics
          and clothing, and the term is several times every
          page, but it's never fully described, for example:
          "Sredi sherstyanykh i polusherstyanykh tkanei
          vstrechayutsya tkani kletchatyye i polosatyye. Na
          sherstyanykh tkanyakh nakhodyat vyshivki, sdelannyye
          "branoi" tekhnikoi." (Again, sorry about the
          transliteration - Russian fonts don't seem to work too
          well over email...) Also: "V etikh zhe kurganakh
          obnaruzheny i gladkie sherstyanyye tkani polotnyanogo
          perepleteniya s vyshivvkoi, sdelannoi dopolnitel'nym
          utkom - "branoi" tekhnikoi."

          Any ideas?

          Thanks for your help!!
          -- Kseniia

          --- MHoll@... wrote:
          > From: MHoll@...

          > Daylight Time,
          > chrstnj@... writes:
          >
          > > Anybody know what "brannaya tekhnika" would
          > translate
          > > into? It's from _Drevniaia Rus: Byt i kultura_,
          > and
          > > it's describing some kind of weaving technique,
          > as far
          > > as I can tell.
          >
          > If it's <branaia>, it is a weaving technique, and it
          > means with woven-in
          > patterns.
          >
          > But if it's <brannaia> (2 n), then it comes from
          > <bran'>: 1) insults, bad
          > language, or 2) fight, war, i.e in either case, it
          > would be a fighting
          > word..... :-) Sowy... couldn't resist.
          >
          > So double-check the spelling, and if you want more
          > details, I can try to
          > translate if you send me the text.
          >
          > Predslava

          > ----------------------------
          >
          > ~ FREE Games & CA$H Prizes! ~ $55,000+
          > Awarded Monthly ~
          > Welcome to Gamesville.com-- Home of the World's
          > Biggest & Best Free Games
          > Play Three-Eyed Bingo, Quick-Draw Poker, Pop Quiz
          > & Picturama FREE!
          > http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/gamesville4 ">Click
          > Here</a>

          > Slavic Interest Group homepage:
          > http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html

          =====
          Kseniia Smol'nyanina mka: Christine Jacobs
          of Mountain Freehold chrstnj@...

          "I shall never permit myself to stoop so low as to hate another man." - Booker T. Washington

          http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/3079
        • MHoll@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 19, 1999
            In a message dated 10/19/1999 7:20:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
            chrstnj@... writes:

            > Do you know anything about the technique itself? How
            > it was done?

            Give me a couple of days, I'll go dig in my sources. I've got a lot of moving
            stuff coming in tomorrow, so I doubt I'll be able to do research. But I think
            I can find some answers.

            Predslava
          • vikarrw13
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
              Hallo,
              Exuse for my poor English
              I think the translation could be
              Obihodniki give list of day food/day menu/ and give a year circle of
              food for fast days mostly
              Obihodniki- are books that consist of list of food/in this context/
              Viktor Barabanov
            • aldo
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                It means

                ANCIENT LTHUANIAN CLOTHES AND FOOTWEAR

                Aldo
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                  Yeah, it looks interesting.
                  THL Isabelle de Foix
                  Shire Brantestone
                  Kingdom of Meridies

                   Support your friendly local autistics...........I'm one of them.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                    OK, well, Asfridr posted the initial link on her LJ
                    (http://pearl.livejournal.com/), but thanks to that, I
                    have found my New Best Friends, and they are KAUP, a
                    1st millenia Scandinavian & surrounding areas
                    reenactment group.

                    http://club-kaup.narod.ru/en/index.htm

                    Through the English site, and the assistance of
                    Babelfish for the pages that are not yet in English,
                    I've spent most of this quiet day at work getting
                    WILDLY INSPIRED.

                    The Lithuanian book is scanned, page by page, as well
                    as several other articles and books, with LOTS and
                    LOTS of images and diagrams. CHANDELIERS! Is too
                    much...http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table97.jpg
                    (ok, maybe incense burners...)

                    There's also a lot of photos from museums.

                    Have fun. Lord knows, I am!!!
                    --Sfandra

                    --- Patricia Hefner

                    ******************
                    Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                    Haus Von Drakenklaue
                    Kingdom of the East
                    ******************
                    Never 'pearl' your butt.
                  • Patoodle@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                      That book cover makes me DROOL!!! Me want book!!!

                      Call me clueless, or perhaps sleepy after my lunch, but I can't find the scanned book on KAUP's Web site. Is there a table of contents or something?

                      Thanks! (Aciu!)

                      In service,
                      Patricia of Trakai

                      ******************

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                        Pop over to the Russian version of the page, then
                        Babelfish it. There's actually MORE on the Russian
                        versions of the pages than the English.

                        On the Reconstruction page in Russian, this Lithuanian
                        book is the last of the 8 books listed. (the first
                        one is Drevnaia Rus: Byt I Kultura!) On the English
                        version of the page, only 5 books are listed.

                        --Sfandra

                      • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                          On the Russian Version of the site under "reconstruction" or "�������������" there is pretty much entire book with ilustrations to dress, decoration and multiple other things.

                          Lada

                          Oooooh...
                          SHINY!

                          ************ ******

                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                            Just to follow up. The book si available in the New York Public Library and it is part of a 20 volume archeological work.

                            http://catnyp.nypl.org/search?/tArkheologi%7B235%7Di%7B236%7Da+%28Izdanie+v+20+tomakh%29/tarkheologiia+izdanie+v+++20+tomakh/-3%2C-1%2C0%2CB/frameset&FF=tarkheologiia+izdanie+v+++20+tomakh&1%2C%2C4

                            I'm going to look into getting my hands on a copy of this book. Since it's 367pgs long... i dont' thin xeroxing it is an option well atleats i'm not willing to make that investment. I know we can just print it off the internet. The ilustrations in it are quite awersome.

                            Lada

                            Oooooh...
                            SHINY!

                            ************ ******

                            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

                            Haus Von Drakenklaue

                            Kingdom of the East

                            ************ ******

                            Never 'pearl' your butt.

                          • L.M. Kies
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                              For those who are Russian-impaired, Chapter 4 (on clothing) is translated into English on my website.
                              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html

                              I hadn't managed to get copies of the other chapters to translate before. Thanks for finding KAUP! They're missing a few chapters right now, but what they've got is more than enough to expand my list of translation projects most distressingly. :-)

                              Sofya

                              ************ ******

                              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

                              Haus Von Drakenklaue

                              Kingdom of the East

                              ************ ******

                              Never 'pearl' your butt.

                            • Greg Hacke
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                                If you would like some assistance in translating, I would love to help. It
                                would allow me to bone back up on my russian in a manner I would actually
                                enjoy ;-)

                                You can contact me off list at greghacke at gmail dot com

                                _____

                                http://www.strangel <http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/kolchin.html>

                                --- On Wed, 8/13/08, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo.
                                From: Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@yahoo. <mailto:ladie_lada%40yahoo.com>
                                com>
                                To: sig@yahoogroups. <mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com> com
                                Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 7:20 PM

                                --- On Wed, 8/13/08, Sfandra <seonaid13@yahoo.
                                From: Sfandra <seonaid13@yahoo. <mailto:seonaid13%40yahoo.com> com>
                                To: sig@yahoogroups. <mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com> com
                                Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 2:47 PM

                                ************ ******

                                Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

                                Haus Von Drakenklaue

                                Kingdom of the East

                              • Joseph Belcher
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 16 2:31 PM
                                  I’m looking for the correct translation to “strong green wine”.

                                  In my research of Russia I have come across the term “strong green wine”. It is mentioned in the English versions of the bylinas, specifically in Dobrynya and the Dragon. Not being able to read Russian (or Ukranian) I’m not sure of the correct translation.

                                  I assume the bylinas I find in English (Folk Tales from the Russian and The epic songs of Russia, printed in 1906 and 1913) are translations of earlier printed Cyrillic books. If I can get the original term used in those books I can further my research.

                                  Thank you to anyone that can help with the translation and/or Slavic language sources.

                                  -Halbrust

                                • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 16 10:27 PM
                                    Greetings!

                                    Зелено вино, the late-period moonshine.
                                    It is also mentioned in the Sadko (пил зелено вино). The ethimology must be explained in the Pokhlyobkin's History of Vodka. AFAIR the explanations, originally it referred to зелье (poison/potion), not зеленый (green).

                                    Четверг, 16 мая 2013, 17:31 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                                    >I’m looking for the correct translation to “strong green wine”.
                                    >
                                    >In my research of Russia I have come across the term “strong green wine”. It is mentioned in the English versions of the bylinas, specifically in Dobrynya and the Dragon. Not being able to read Russian (or Ukranian) I’m not sure of the correct translation.
                                    >
                                    >I assume the bylinas I find in English (Folk Tales from the Russian and The epic songs of Russia, printed in 1906 and 1913) are translations of earlier printed Cyrillic books. If I can get the original term used in those books I can further my research.
                                    >
                                    >Thank you to anyone that can help with the translation and/or Slavic language sources.
                                    >
                                    >-Halbrust

                                  • Joseph Belcher
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 20 9:27 AM
                                      Thank you Alexey!
                                      I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.

                                      According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.

                                      If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                                      Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?

                                      -Halbrust

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 20 12:40 PM
                                        Greetings!

                                        Actually, the Kievan cycle bylinas were composed in 9 to 14 centuries, Dobrynia & the Serpent being (one of )the oldest. The "Green Wine" is the obvious late-period (and/or post-period) re-edition of the story. All the same, the oldest known published source of Bylinas is afair Kisha Danilov's Songs, about 1740; so there's no "original text" available.
                                        The original source could refer to meads, beers jr wines, there was not a great variety of alcoholic drinks in Kievan Russia: wines were imported, meads and beers were home-made.

                                        Понедельник, 20 мая 2013, 12:27 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                                        >Thank you Alexey!
                                        >I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.
                                        >
                                        >According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.
                                        >
                                        >If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                                        >Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?
                                        >
                                        >-Halbrust

                                      • Joseph Belcher
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 23 11:49 AM
                                          More questions asked off-list

                                          -Halbrust

                                          Actually, the Kievan cycle bylinas were composed in 9 to 14 centuries, Dobrynia & the Serpent being (one of )the oldest. The "Green Wine" is the obvious late-period (and/or post-period) re-edition of the story. All the same, the oldest known published source of Bylinas is afair Kisha Danilov's Songs, about 1740; so there's no "original text" available.
                                          The original source could refer to meads, beers jr wines, there was not a great variety of alcoholic drinks in Kievan Russia: wines were imported, meads and beers were home-made.

                                          Понедельник, 20 мая 2013, 12:27 -04:00 от Joseph Belcher <iegrappling@...>:

                                          >Thank you Alexey!
                                          >I will continue my research, but have another question that may help me along.
                                          >
                                          >According to Isabel Hapgood the lays of Vladimir (including Dobrynya and the Dragon, but not Sadko) were composed in the 10th-12th century and represent a time between 988 and 1147. This is obviously too early to be vodka, or any other distilled drink.
                                          >
                                          >If the original 12th century term was Зелено вино, what could it have been?
                                          >Or what could the 12th century term be if it was not Зелено вино?
                                          >
                                          >-Halbrust

                                        • Joseph Belcher
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 17, 2013
                                            I'm digging and digging for evidence that doma or domu is the correct pre-1600 term for a Russian household or family.

                                            I have several passages from a 1617 book using the term дома. Is anyone willing to look over some scans and see if any of the uses apply in the way I want/need them to?

                                            I've attempted using Google translate, but I'm having little to no luck. The images are scanned, and so I can not cut and paste text. Trying to type in the correct letters is not working very well.

                                            -Halbrust

                                          • Anya Stickney
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 18, 2013
                                              I'm willing to help. If you are on facebook, you cat post them to the
                                              facebook SIG page. That way, multiple people can see them and help. Always
                                              good to have multiple people's opinions with this sort of thing. Or perhaps
                                              you can post them to the file section of this group?

                                              Anya