Fwd: Links: Magyars and Medieval Hungary

  • Paquerette
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2003
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [TheEndlessHills] Links: Magyars and Medieval Hungary
      Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:08:40 -0500
      From: "Lis" <liontamr@...>

      Greetings everyone. This week's topic was requested by my husband (there
      have to be SOME benefits to being my spouse, after all :). The subject
      under the microscope is Medieval Hungary and the MEDIEVAL Magyars (What
      I'd call native Hungarians in fact call themselves Magyars to this day,
      which made searching for information a little tricky).

      As always feel free to pass this information along to whomever will be
      interested, and feel free to update your own WebPages with these links.

      Yours in service,
      And CHEERS

      Aoife

      Hungarian National Museum Exhibitions (English version)
      http://origo.hnm.hu/english/kiall.html
      The museum site has some wonderful material appealing to: Fiber arts
      persons
      (a coronation mantle dating from King Stephen and Queen Gisella in
      l031);
      armorers (I was unable to get to the atmor pictured in the exhibits
      menu--got a "pip-makers" link instead, but I live in hopes that it is
      possible); Stoneworkers (referred to as lapidary on site); Archive of
      the
      Museum has links (someonly in Hungarian) to Prehistoric Gold Finds
      (looking
      very viko-celtic to this untrained eye), and an article and photos from
      an
      Avar Gold Hoard--thankfully in English.

      A Hungarian Language Course
      http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~arubin/hungarian.html
      (Site Excerpt) Magyar (pronounced /Mawdyar/), as the Hungarians call
      their
      language, is spoken by the approximately 10.3 million inhabitants of
      Hungary, as well as another 4 million people in neighboring countries
      and a
      million others scattered around the world. It belongs to the Finno-Ugric
      language family, which includes Finnish and Estonian, but its closest
      relatives are several obscure languages spoken in Siberia. Hungarian is
      not
      at all related to the Indo-European languages which surround it, and is
      very
      different both in vocabulary and in grammar. Hungarian is an
      agglutinative
      language, meaning that it relies heavily on suffixes and prefixes. The
      grammar is seemingly complex, yet there is no gender, a feature that
      most
      English speakers grapple with when learning other European languages.
      Hungarian does use the Roman alphabet however, and after learning a few
      simple rules one can easily read Hungarian. Pronunciation is also very
      easy,
      especially compared to other neighbouring languages like Czech, German,
      and
      Russian.

      Hungarian Lessons / Magyar leckék (with sound guides)
      http://www.hungarotips.com/hungarian/
      (Site Excerpt) Hungarian is spoken by only 15 million people worldwide.
      It
      is hard to learn magyar outside of Hungary, since it is almost
      impossible to
      find local source, classes or tutors to help. This website offers some
      lessons for those who really want to learn Hungarian. You also find a
      growing collection of sound files, self-quizzes, tests and puzzles here
      support these lessons.

      Hungarian Agar Dogs (a medieval sighthound breed)
      http://www.planet-pets.com/magyar.htm
      (Site Excerpt) The present day Hungary's inhabitants are mostly
      descendants of the Magyar's. These are the people who invaded and
      settled
      into Hungary in the 9th century. The Magyar people brought their dogs
      with
      them when settling. These dogs are thought to resemble the Sloughi and
      other
      eastern greyhound types.

      Coruinus Library Hungarian History
      http://www.net.hu/corvinus/aloldal.htm
      (Site Excerpt) Welcome to our Corvinus Library. Here you will find some
      books on Hungarian history, published in the United States of America,
      in
      the English language. Some others are translated from Hungarian (please
      excuse our accent...). There were a lot of anticipated, but unexpectedly
      fast changes lately in Central and East-Central Europe and the Balkans.
      Researchers, historians, diplomats, professors were scrambling for
      information on historical and artificially created states of the area.
      Unfortunately, there were very few - fair and objective - books
      available on
      Hungary. To help to fill the sudden demand, we have distributed
      thousands of
      books on the subject among university, research, media and government
      libraries. (Ed note: Please see the Free Books link, some of which are
      CD
      Rom versions of Hungarian History. There's a pretty good list of books
      to be
      had free for researchers: I suggest that you pool your resources so as
      not overwhelm them with requests).

      Hungarian History
      http://www.hungary.org/users/hipcat/history.htm
      (Site Excerpt) Hungary has long been a citadel of Western thought in
      Central
      Europe. Relatives of the Hungarians, the Huns, Avars, and Szekleys
      settled
      the Carpathian basin as early as the 4th century. Magyar tribes
      established
      the Hungarian State in the Carpathian Basin in 896. Long after the
      fiered
      Attila, "The Scourge of God," ravaged Europe, the Magyar Chieftan Vajk
      converted to Christianity, established Hungary as a Christian power, and
      received his crown from the Pope, thus becoming István Király (King
      Stephen), Hungary's first Christian King in the year 1000. He was later
      canonized as St. Stephen of Hungary.

      World Wide Web Virtual Library: History: Hungary
      http://www.ukans.edu/history/VL/europe/hungary.html
      More than 100 links relating to Historical Hungary from it's earliest
      history on towards modern day. Includes some Jewish Hungarian History.

      About.com's History of Painting and Sculpture in Hungary
      http://historymedren.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fhung
      art.euroweb.hu%2Ftours%2Findex.html (beware wrapped URL's. Copy the
      entire
      link address adn paste it into your browser window).
      (Site excerpt) On the following pages the concise history of painting
      and
      sculpture in Hungary can be found. From the time-frame extending from
      the
      establishing of the Hungarian state in the 11th century to the mid 20th
      century, you can select a period from the menu located at the left side
      of
      the screen. Using the icons always present at the top of the screen you
      can
      return anytime to the virtual collection.

      The Magyars of Hungary
      http://www.geocities.com/egfrothos/magyars/magyars.html
      (Site Excerpt) The Hungarians, unlike their Slavic neighbours, speak a
      language of the group known as Finno-Ugric. Despite claims of Hunnish
      descent, it is thought that they came from the Ural Mountains in Russia
      and
      migrated east, then south in contact with Turks and Iranians, taking on
      nomadic, herding lifestyle. The word Hungary is thought to have come
      from On
      Ogur ("ten arrows"), the name of a Magyar tribal confederation.

      ABOUT HUNGARY
      http://www.hajduboszormeny.hu/ehb1100.htm#med
      The seven Magyar tribes gradually evolved over four centuries into a
      kingdom
      known as Hungary, led by Stephen I and his successors. Parts of
      Transylvania
      were conquered and colonized in the eleventh and twelfth centuries. In
      1090
      Laszlo I occupied Slavonia, and in 1103 Kalman I named himself king of
      Croatia, though Croatia actually remained an "associate" kingdom
      administered by a civil governor. Hungary gradually evolved into a
      feudal
      economy, and by the reign of Bela III beginning in 1173, the country was
      major power in southeastern Europe.

      Medieval History
      http://www.mehedinti.info/en/presentation/history-medieval.htm
      Note that though this site has no official title except the above (that
      can find), I does contains some good historical information. (Site
      Excerpt)
      The Wallachian ruler Mircea eel Batran (1386-1418) strengthened and
      enlarged
      the fortress, coined money in the Severin Fortress and favoured both
      Romanian and foreign tradesmen (who were) going through the Schela
      Cladovei
      Customs. The sub dual of the Severin Fortress by the Turks and its final
      destroying opened the way to the Turks towards Central Europe. In 1541,
      half
      of Hungary's surface was turned into a Turkish province.

      The Fall of the Medieval Kingdom of Hunagary (a bibliography)
      http://www.hungary.com/corvinus/lib/warso/warso29.htm

      Magyar Madneess Timeline (an event based on an historical timeline)
      http://www.stolaf.edu/orgs/sca/scrapbook/oldevents/magyar/timeline.html#arch
      ery
      Each activity at this Magyar-themed event is based upon an instance in
      Hungarian History. Brought to you by: The Baronial Colleges of Nordleigh

      The History of Hungary
      http://www.barbarahouse.homestead.com/history.html
      (Site Excerpt) While dates are uncertain, evidence suggests Celts
      dominated
      part of the region until their ouster by the Romans in the first century
      AD,
      who made the land the imperial province of Pannonia. The Romans were
      expelled by the Goths in the fourth century, and later Attila the Hun
      dominated and terrorized the area. Avars, Bulgars, and Germans all
      staked
      claims to various territories within the Basin. By the late ninth
      century,
      the occupying Moravian or Slavic settlements were vanquished when Magyar
      cavalrymen, led by their chieftain Árpád, swept through the region.
      After
      Árpád's death in 907, the Magyars, who made marauding forays throughout
      central Europe, were defeated by Holy Roman Emperor Otto I in 955. Duke
      Geza
      found it politically expedient to convert to Christianity in 975, and
      his
      son Stephen, founder of the Árpad Dynasty, was made king by Pope
      Sylvester
      II around 1000 AD.

      The Early History of the Hungarian Ethnic Designations by Fred Hamori
      http://www2.4dcomm.com/millenia/magynam.htm
      (Site Excerpt) The Hungarian nation throughout it's known history has at
      least three distinct names, not counting the other six tribal names
      which
      are also traceable back into antiquity. ( the other tribal names are
      Kari,
      Kasi, Kurt-Gyarmat, Tarjan/Tarxan, Jenu, Nyek) These three names whose
      roots
      are to be discussed refered more to the leading nation, which also could
      have had its unique independent origin. Starting with the oldest
      references
      and advancing to the newest are the following at different times and
      different languages; (1) Sabar-toi Asfali, Subar, Sabir, Savar,
      Sawardiya ,
      Land of 4 rivers, source of 4 great rivers, Urartu and the Caucasus. (2)
      Mas-ar, Masgar, Mazar, Madjar, Magor, Magar, Magyar, Makar. Royal
      Apostolic
      rule & land of 4 rivers. (3) Onogur, Hunugur, Ugor, Ungar, Hungar, Uhor,
      Venger. The 10 arrows confederation. "Onogur "

      Museums on Hungary on the WEB, in order of counties
      http://www.ace.hu/ceicom/hungary/hunliste.html

      Art on Egg (Egg art including a great many Payzanki styles)
      http://datan-datenanalyse.de/Tojas/index.html
      To see examples of the museum's display, click English along the top
      menu,
      then click Views, in small type, to the top right.

      History of Romaina
      http://home.online.no/~romemb/history.htm#MIDDLE
      This site is mentioned because of the enormous role Huingary played in
      Romania's history. Many people still claim that Transylvania is actually
      Hungarian in nature, not Romanian.

      Magyar SCA Listserve
      MAGYAR Medieval Hungary and things Hungarian in SCA.

      History of Transylvania
      http://members.aol.com/revanche2/Hisstory.html
      (Site Excerpt, excuse the cheesy graphics) Hungarians conquered
      Transylvania
      in 896 AD. Soon after, German settlers, later called Transylvanian
      Saxons,
      were invited in to help defend the country against frequent incursions
      from
      the East. For several centuries the state administration was based on
      the
      alliance of the following three nations: the Hungarian nobles, the
      Szeklers,
      and the free peasants and tradesmen of the autonomous Saxon territories.
      Romanians in Transylvanian territory were first mentioned in historical
      documents from the 13th century, where they were referred to as Vlachs.

      Important Dates in Hungarian History
      http://www.pages.drexel.edu/undergrad/ds22/history.htm
      (Site Excerpt) 5th century The Hungarian tribes left the area of the
      Urals.
      They passed along the Volga and the Caspian Sea. After several hundred
      years
      of wandering, they reached the Carpathian Basin.
      896 Under the leadership of Arpad, the Hungarian tribes settled in the
      Carpathian Basin. They drove out part of the residents and absorbed the
      other part.

      The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
      Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
      and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
      --Assyrian stone tablet, c. 2800 B.C.

      Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
      violent.
      It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the
      opposite direction.
      Albert Einstein
      (1879-1955)

      Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parent, gobble their
      food,
      and tyrannize their teachers.
      Socrates (470-399 B.C.)
    • Carolyn Koslowski
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2003
        Hello,

        I have been in the society for about 12 years now and
        have always had a Russian persona, although I've never
        gotten my name or device passed. Due to numerous
        events in my life, I am finding myself more and more
        interested in my mundane roots, basically the ones in
        Hungary. It is at this time I'm contemplating either
        a Hungarian persona or a combination Russian/Hungarian
        one.

        I will be keeping the first name I've been using for
        the last 12 years, mostly because people know me by
        that name. Some of the research I've done shows that
        Tatiana (or the original variation) dates back most
        prominently to the 1300's, however, there was a martyr
        in 225 by Tat'iana. Tatiana is a common enough name
        in Hungary now to make the current list of female
        names, however, I'm wondering how far back in
        Hungarian history did it appear?

        Also, I'm in search of a last name. I came into
        trouble with my Russian persona with this as well. It
        seems in my idealistic youth, I chose a first, middle
        and last name, however, medieval Russian names were
        just the first name and a patronym (I think that's the
        correct word).

        Anyway. I apologize for this being so lengthy. The
        jist is that I need to know how far back Tatiana would
        have been acceptable as an Hungarian name. I will
        also need to choose a last name, but I'm not sure
        where to go with that one. My grandmother's maiden
        name was Dudas.

        Thank you for any assistance,

        Tatiana
        mka Carolyn Koslowski