Garb and Persona Development

  • Justin Griffing
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2003
      Slava Isusu Krystu!

      There, I feel "in persona" already. I am in the process of trying to
      develop a persona from the Radonezh region based in mid fourteenth century.
      The persona is a monastic, specifically from the Holy Trinity-St Sergius
      Lavra. Where am I running into problems?

      1) Can anyone suggest a website or other readily available source for info
      on the Lavra itself? I have checked the hagiography of St. Sergius and
      cannot find a date on the monastery's founding. Having historical notes on
      that period of life in the monastery might also be handy.

      2) Is anyone here familiar with the habit practices of Russian monasticism
      at the time? I know it would include the podrasnik, the riassa, skoufia,
      klobuk, belt, mantiya (in some form), and kamilavka (forgive me if that's
      the Greek term, they mix in my mind at times). I also know the schema of
      the habit was in use at the time. Does anyone know if the Russian
      distinction of the small and great schemas had yet come into effect?

      These are all the questions I can think of at the moment and I thank anyone
      for any help they can give.

      In Service to the Dream,
      Justin (who dares not use a SCA name until he gets it hammered out as
      period)
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2003
        Greetings Justin!

        If no one helps, address me please. I have almost no money for the
        internet search now, but the money is due to come in a week or two.
        In Moscow it's easy to find something about Radonezh (or Sergiev
        Posad) in paper or in kilobytes. But do you read Russian?

        bye,
        Alex