language help

  • Kataryna Dragonweaver
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
      Greetings,
      I've finally got my scanner working again. :)
      And I spent a bit of this evening trying to translate a book I have on
      traditional Ukrainian embroidery (or at least that's what I was told
      it was) using my English - Ukrainian dictonary.... however it's not
      working, and I'm wondering if the book is written in Russian or some
      other slavic language.

      If someone can ID what language it's written in or even help translate
      I'd be indebted.

      I've uploaded a "embroidery.jpg" of one page to the files area under
      the Kataryna's files folder.

      Thanks for any help.
      -Kataryna
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
        As far as I can tell, it is Ukrainian. However, I found it difficult to get a good Ukrainian-English dictionary: many missing words -- I wonder how the compilers decided on what to include!

        Predslava
      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
          In a message dated 3/4/2003 11:48:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          eclipsek@... writes:

          > If someone can ID what language it's written in or even help translate
          > I'd be indebted

          It is Ukrainian, but it contains words that might be unlikely in a typical
          dictionary.I can read Ukrainian, but unfortunately I am very busy with
          several projects right now. If you can wait until April, I might b e able to
          help with the translation.

          Liudmila

        • eclipsek@telusplanet.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2003
            Greetings Liudmila,
            Thanks for the offer.
            I can wait until after April if need be.
            It's been sitting with my aunt since last year. She also translates Ukrainian
            for the locals in her area - however she's been swamped.
            I'll work on what I can, and if I manage to get it sorted out before April,
            I'll post about it.
            :)
            -Kataryna
          • petite_moitan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
              To: Kataryna, specifically, but everyone else as well.

              I couldn't find your image (then again, it was in 2003), but maybe
              this will help you. Before You Know It, a downloadable language
              program, has 42 languages to learn from:

              Albanian
              Arabic
              Armenian
              Azerbaijani
              Belorussian
              Bulgarian
              Chinese
              Chinese for Business
              Croatian
              Czech
              Danish
              Dutch
              Farsi
              Finnish
              French
              French for Business
              Georgian
              German
              Greek
              Hebrew
              Hindi
              Hungarian
              Indonesian
              Irish
              Italian
              Japanese
              Kazakh
              Korean
              Latin
              Macedonian
              Malay
              Norwegian
              Polish
              Portuguese (Brazilian)
              Portuguese (European)
              Romanian
              Russian
              Serbian
              Slovak
              Spanish
              Spanish for Business
              Swedish
              Tagalog (Filipino)
              Turkish
              Turkmen
              Ukrainian
              Uzbek
              Vietnamese

              here's the website:
              http://www.byki.com/FLSIndPage.pl?Lang=GA11&engine=adwords!9236&keyword=before+you+know+it&match_type=&gclid=CLWVi5Ti1YwCFRAjgAodnAPwpQ

              Good Luck Kataryna and anyone else who sees this,
              Christine