Re[2]: [sig] Naming query, ect

  • Paul W. Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
      At 02:08 AM 3/2/2003 +0300, you wrote:
      > >>Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]
      > >>
      > >>I'm not entirely sure where the place in question is, but 1067 is hardly
      > >>late period. :)
      >
      >Paul, was it really "Vseslav syn Briachislav", not "Vseslav
      >Briachislavich"? All in all, he's a prince. In Russian he is ever
      >mentioned with
      >-ich, in all references.

      I'd bet you that those are MODERN references you are speaking of that
      modernize the spellings. You will find different spellings in the original
      manuscripts.
    • Paul W. Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 05:10 PM 3/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
        >Actually, I would ideally like pictures of the documents themselves...
        >Eventually I want to be able to cobble together a reasonable recreation of
        >Russian scribe's script (if such a thing existed).
        >
        >Ekaterina

        That's much harder to find. The only facsimiles I've seen are of selected
        Chronicles and a Psalter or two. Not really the legal stuff. But if what
        you want is just calligraphy samples, those shouldn't be too difficult to
        dig up. I have a Chronicles of Alexander Nevsky facsimile that I bought
        from Kamkin. I know some libraries have copies.

        -- Paul