Re: [sig] Naming query, ect

  • Ekaterina Stepanova
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
      > Works in English will modernize the names, as well as modernizing the
      > language. For a good start, I'd look at Riha's Reader on early Russian
      > history (I don't have the title handy, but Yana has a copy so maybe she
      can
      > provide it). As I said, it won't give you any period names though.
      >
      > -- Paul

      Actually, I would ideally like pictures of the documents themselves...
      Eventually I want to be able to cobble together a reasonable recreation of
      Russian scribe's script (if such a thing existed).

      Ekaterina
    • Paul W. Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 02:08 AM 3/2/2003 +0300, you wrote:
        > >>Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]
        > >>
        > >>I'm not entirely sure where the place in question is, but 1067 is hardly
        > >>late period. :)
        >
        >Paul, was it really "Vseslav syn Briachislav", not "Vseslav
        >Briachislavich"? All in all, he's a prince. In Russian he is ever
        >mentioned with
        >-ich, in all references.

        I'd bet you that those are MODERN references you are speaking of that
        modernize the spellings. You will find different spellings in the original
        manuscripts.
      • Paul W. Goldschmidt
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
          At 05:10 PM 3/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
          >Actually, I would ideally like pictures of the documents themselves...
          >Eventually I want to be able to cobble together a reasonable recreation of
          >Russian scribe's script (if such a thing existed).
          >
          >Ekaterina

          That's much harder to find. The only facsimiles I've seen are of selected
          Chronicles and a Psalter or two. Not really the legal stuff. But if what
          you want is just calligraphy samples, those shouldn't be too difficult to
          dig up. I have a Chronicles of Alexander Nevsky facsimile that I bought
          from Kamkin. I know some libraries have copies.

          -- Paul