Re: [sig] Naming query, ect

  • Paul W. Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
      At 10:46 AM 3/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
      >Actually, the name I found for the style of name is from your Locative
      >Bynames article:
      >
      >Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]
      >
      >I'm not entirely sure where the place in question is, but 1067 is hardly
      >late period. :)

      Fair enough, but in terms of frequency, I think you'd find adjectival
      locatives tend to be later period than early. Not an issue of "didn't
      happen" just "more common."

      >Preferably in English, since it's the only language I speak/can read. ^_^
      >But anything in Russian with pictures is good as well.

      Works in English will modernize the names, as well as modernizing the
      language. For a good start, I'd look at Riha's Reader on early Russian
      history (I don't have the title handy, but Yana has a copy so maybe she can
      provide it). As I said, it won't give you any period names though.

      -- Paul
    • Alexey Kiyaikin
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        Greetings!
        >>Actually, the name I found for the style of name is from your Locative
        >>Bynames article:
        >>
        >>Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]
        >>
        >>I'm not entirely sure where the place in question is, but 1067 is hardly
        >>late period. :)

        Paul, was it really "Vseslav syn Briachislav", not "Vseslav
        Briachislavich"? All in all, he's a prince. In Russian he is ever mentioned with
        -ich, in all references.

        Bye,
        Alex
      • Ekaterina Stepanova
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
          > Works in English will modernize the names, as well as modernizing the
          > language. For a good start, I'd look at Riha's Reader on early Russian
          > history (I don't have the title handy, but Yana has a copy so maybe she
          can
          > provide it). As I said, it won't give you any period names though.
          >
          > -- Paul

          Actually, I would ideally like pictures of the documents themselves...
          Eventually I want to be able to cobble together a reasonable recreation of
          Russian scribe's script (if such a thing existed).

          Ekaterina
        • Paul W. Goldschmidt
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
            At 02:08 AM 3/2/2003 +0300, you wrote:
            > >>Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]
            > >>
            > >>I'm not entirely sure where the place in question is, but 1067 is hardly
            > >>late period. :)
            >
            >Paul, was it really "Vseslav syn Briachislav", not "Vseslav
            >Briachislavich"? All in all, he's a prince. In Russian he is ever
            >mentioned with
            >-ich, in all references.

            I'd bet you that those are MODERN references you are speaking of that
            modernize the spellings. You will find different spellings in the original
            manuscripts.
          • Paul W. Goldschmidt
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
              At 05:10 PM 3/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
              >Actually, I would ideally like pictures of the documents themselves...
              >Eventually I want to be able to cobble together a reasonable recreation of
              >Russian scribe's script (if such a thing existed).
              >
              >Ekaterina

              That's much harder to find. The only facsimiles I've seen are of selected
              Chronicles and a Psalter or two. Not really the legal stuff. But if what
              you want is just calligraphy samples, those shouldn't be too difficult to
              dig up. I have a Chronicles of Alexander Nevsky facsimile that I bought
              from Kamkin. I know some libraries have copies.

              -- Paul