Re: [sig] Naming query, ect

  • Ekaterina Stepanova
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
      > Yes, most of the adjectival bynames I've seen are later period but I
      hardly
      > would worry about it.
      >
      > We could go either way. I must say that I would probably register the
      name
      > and patronymic and just use the adjective -- that would be more common.

      Actually, the name I found for the style of name is from your Locative
      Bynames article:

      Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]

      I'm not entirely sure where the place in question is, but 1067 is hardly
      late period. :)

      But thanks for the imput.

      > In English or Russian?

      Preferably in English, since it's the only language I speak/can read. ^_^
      But anything in Russian with pictures is good as well.

      Many thanks,

      Ekaterina
    • Paul W. Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 10:46 AM 3/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
        >Actually, the name I found for the style of name is from your Locative
        >Bynames article:
        >
        >Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]
        >
        >I'm not entirely sure where the place in question is, but 1067 is hardly
        >late period. :)

        Fair enough, but in terms of frequency, I think you'd find adjectival
        locatives tend to be later period than early. Not an issue of "didn't
        happen" just "more common."

        >Preferably in English, since it's the only language I speak/can read. ^_^
        >But anything in Russian with pictures is good as well.

        Works in English will modernize the names, as well as modernizing the
        language. For a good start, I'd look at Riha's Reader on early Russian
        history (I don't have the title handy, but Yana has a copy so maybe she can
        provide it). As I said, it won't give you any period names though.

        -- Paul
      • Alexey Kiyaikin
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
          Greetings!
          >>Actually, the name I found for the style of name is from your Locative
          >>Bynames article:
          >>
          >>Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]
          >>
          >>I'm not entirely sure where the place in question is, but 1067 is hardly
          >>late period. :)

          Paul, was it really "Vseslav syn Briachislav", not "Vseslav
          Briachislavich"? All in all, he's a prince. In Russian he is ever mentioned with
          -ich, in all references.

          Bye,
          Alex
        • Ekaterina Stepanova
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
            > Works in English will modernize the names, as well as modernizing the
            > language. For a good start, I'd look at Riha's Reader on early Russian
            > history (I don't have the title handy, but Yana has a copy so maybe she
            can
            > provide it). As I said, it won't give you any period names though.
            >
            > -- Paul

            Actually, I would ideally like pictures of the documents themselves...
            Eventually I want to be able to cobble together a reasonable recreation of
            Russian scribe's script (if such a thing existed).

            Ekaterina
          • Paul W. Goldschmidt
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
              At 02:08 AM 3/2/2003 +0300, you wrote:
              > >>Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]
              > >>
              > >>I'm not entirely sure where the place in question is, but 1067 is hardly
              > >>late period. :)
              >
              >Paul, was it really "Vseslav syn Briachislav", not "Vseslav
              >Briachislavich"? All in all, he's a prince. In Russian he is ever
              >mentioned with
              >-ich, in all references.

              I'd bet you that those are MODERN references you are speaking of that
              modernize the spellings. You will find different spellings in the original
              manuscripts.
            • Paul W. Goldschmidt
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
                At 05:10 PM 3/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                >Actually, I would ideally like pictures of the documents themselves...
                >Eventually I want to be able to cobble together a reasonable recreation of
                >Russian scribe's script (if such a thing existed).
                >
                >Ekaterina

                That's much harder to find. The only facsimiles I've seen are of selected
                Chronicles and a Psalter or two. Not really the legal stuff. But if what
                you want is just calligraphy samples, those shouldn't be too difficult to
                dig up. I have a Chronicles of Alexander Nevsky facsimile that I bought
                from Kamkin. I know some libraries have copies.

                -- Paul