Re[2]: [sig] New comer naming question

  • Paul W. Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
      At 05:54 AM 3/1/2003 +0300, you wrote:
      >Though, the problem is with Medvednikov. -nik suffix is and was used
      >for professions. Mednik (copper worker), neftyanik (oil rig worker),
      >oruzheinik (armorer). There is no profession connected with bear
      >processing, sorry.
      >
      >bye,
      >Alex

      I'm sorry Alex, but you are incorrect. A Medvednik is a "bear keeper" -- a
      person who takes care of bears for entertainment purposes. And there was a
      Nefedko Medvednikov who is recorded in c1495 in _Novgorodskiia pistsovyia
      knigi_ (SPb, 1880-1910) -- First Volume, page 268.

      You'll also find Medvedchik in period as both given name and byname
      (Medvedchikov).

      -- Paul
    • Paul W. Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 08:08 PM 2/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        > Were there any naming things I need to know in Muscovite
        >Russia (that's the area i'm trying to develop my persona in. Time wise its
        >about 12-14th Century)? Any Tataric influence when it came to naming or was
        >this mainly the time that the Slavic culture came into view (I'm going by
        >info on the top of my head)?

        Moscow was a backwater in the 12th-14th century. :) You sure you don't
        mean later?

        -- Paul
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
          In a message dated 3/1/2003 10:04:55 AM Central Standard Time,
          Posadnik@... writes:

          > You are wrong, I'd say. Misha the carpenter was mentioned within the
          > story about the Neva battle (after which Alexander Nevsky was called
          > so), he managed to cut through the bottoms of two Swedish ships.

          In the Chronicle? Give a citation. I don't remember a Misha, and I've read
          the account a number of times. In the film? It's irrelevant.

          > Though, the problem is with Medvednikov. -nik suffix is and was used
          > for professions. Mednik (copper worker), neftyanik (oil rig worker),
          > oruzheinik (armorer). There is no profession connected with bear
          > processing, sorry.

          Bear hunting. You can't use modern examples.

          Predslava.

        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
            In a message dated 3/1/2003 10:05:00 AM Central Standard Time,
            xvlovercrimvx@... writes:

            > Any Tataric influence when it came to naming or was
            > this mainly the time that the Slavic culture came into view

            Unless you want to build yourself a persona with Tartar ancestors (mostly
            high nobility anyway), I wouldn't worry about it. Just go with Slavic names.

            Predslava.

          • Alexey Kiyaikin
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
              Greetings!
              >> You are wrong, I'd say. Misha the carpenter was mentioned within the
              >> story about the Neva battle (after which Alexander Nevsky was called
              >> so), he managed to cut through the bottoms of two Swedish ships.
              >
              > In the Chronicle? Give a citation. I don't remember a Misha, and I've read
              > the account a number of times. In the film? It's irrelevant.
              AFAIR, the chronicle. same chronicle that mentioned the duel between
              the leaders, the cutting down of the Birger's tent's central pole,
              etc. Misha the Carpenter was among the three or four warriors
              mentioned in that text. Sorry, can't cite here - no book right now at
              hand. Just my memories how i read it. BTW, first I met that person in
              a children's book at the age of 5, and being already an adult was
              somehow interested by the fact that personality wasn't fictitious.

              >> Though, the problem is with Medvednikov. -nik suffix is and was used
              >> for professions. Mednik (copper worker), neftyanik (oil rig worker),
              >> oruzheinik (armorer). There is no profession connected with bear
              >> processing, sorry.
              >
              > Bear hunting. You can't use modern examples.
              Medvezhatnik. It's not modern.

              Bye,
              Alex.
            • xvlovercrimvx@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
                In a message dated 3/1/03 11:23:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                goldschp@... writes:

                > Moscow was a backwater in the 12th-14th century. :) You sure you don't
                > mean later?
                >
                > -- Paul

                What century did Muscovite Russia slowly climb to power? I'm trying to
                research the different areas of Russia (Novogrod, Muscovite, and Kievian) and
                am trying to place my persona's origins in one of those three "kingdoms"
                (used loosely). My persona's father is an Italian Merchant so Novogrod would
                seem to be a good place since his mother is Half-German also. Kievian Rus was
                powerful but mainly wasn't it powerful in S. Russian and near Ukraine? If
                anyone has any info, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

                Misha

              • Elizabeth Lear
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 2, 2003
                  On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 11:58:17PM -0500, xvlovercrimvx@... wrote:
                  > What century did Muscovite Russia slowly climb to power? I'm trying to
                  > research the different areas of Russia (Novogrod, Muscovite, and Kievian)

                  Lifted from my own lecture notes:

                  KIEV 970-1240

                  Kiev began as a small village settled in the 9th century by Swedish
                  vikings called Varangians. It's located on the Dnieper River, which
                  functioned as a highway to Constantinople. As a result it thrived as
                  a trading community and was wealthy, sophisticated, and envied.

                  The Grand Duchy of Kiev had been a very strong influence on the region
                  in the middle ages, but it started to decline in the late 11th century
                  as the Grand Duke started to lose authority over feudal principalities
                  that were asserting their independence.

                  This breakdown made it easier for the nomadic tribes of the east to
                  invade southern Russia. Kiev was divided, and eventually formed three
                  related but independent regions in the 13th century.
                  Great Russia - Vladimir, Rostov and Novgorod Little Russia -
                  the southwest regions Belorussia - the eastern regions

                  The Grand Duchy of Kiev was devestated by the Mongol invasions in the
                  1200s and did not really recover until the 18th century.

                  NOVGOROD 1240-1480

                  While Kiev was the center of Russian power, Novgorod was second to it
                  in importance. Novgorod imitated Kiev's architecture and culture,
                  which made it an excellent 'storehouse' for preserving that culture
                  during the Tartar domination (1238-1462).

                  Novgorod was the largest and richest city in Russia from the 12th to
                  the 15th centuries after Kiev was conquered and divided. Its
                  relatively sheltered location spared it from much of the Tartar
                  invasion, but it survived in style during the occupation of Russia
                  primarily by submitting themselves completely to Tartar rule. They
                  paid tribute, did homage to the "Tartar Tsar", and admitted Mongol
                  tax-gatherers.

                  In return, Novgorod was spared and became a merchant city and a great
                  center of the arts, with new schools of architecture and icon painting
                  thriving there. Russian art and literature flourished. Gusli playing
                  was developed in Novogorod. The streets were paved with lumber in the
                  11th century (Paris did the same in 1184), and water was transported
                  through wooden pipes.

                  The Moscow Tsar Ivan III conquered Novgorod in 1475.

                  MOSCOW 1480-

                  The first written reference to Moscow was in 1147, when it was
                  mentioned as being the hunting lodge of a local boyar prince.
                  Originally stettled by Finnish tribes, it was not really a city until
                  the 1300s, and wasn't the center of power in Russia until about 1500.
                  By 1700, Moscow was the unchallenged center of Russian civilization,
                  but the riches of Moscow were assembled by impoverishing the smaller
                  centers of local culture (a pattern repeated in the 1900s by
                  St. Petersburg).

                  The princes of Moscow began to consolidate Russian feudal
                  principalities in the 15th century. They were basically fighting the
                  Tartars for control of the land while the territories were already
                  subjugated. They were also fighting off incursions from the west from
                  the Grand Duchys of Poland and Lithuania.

                  The areas now known as Ukraine and Belorus were added to Moscow's
                  territory in 1654.

                  -Yeliz
                • xvlovercrimvx@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
                    Ah, spaseeba to Yeliz for the notes. I guess Misha would be placed in
                    Novogrod. Another question:Would there be any Tataric influence with the
                    clothing or did the Russian's keep their own sense of style in defiance to
                    their Tatar rulers? I think I asked this question before, but just want to
                    make sure. Any good places online for Russian information? Most of the stuff
                    I have found is either high school oriented (either too vague or maybe
                    misleading) or in Russian (And I don't read Cyrrilic or speak Russian).
                    Thanks for the info everyone!

                    Misha

                  • Elizabeth Lear
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
                      > Would there be any Tataric influence with the
                      > clothing or did the Russian's keep their own sense of style in defiance to
                      > their Tatar rulers?
                      > Misha

                      There's a very nice SCA publication about 13 C Novgorod, reprinted
                      online at http://www.geocities.com/ilyana7/novgorod/toc.html

                      Also, Mistress Nicolaa put together a book on Novgorod in 1036 which
                      you once were able to order from her. It was written for a local
                      event.

                      For a more general overview, heck out my costume lecture notes:
                      http://indra.com/~eliz/SCA/costuming.txt

                      Particularly, according to "A Cultural History of Russia" (details in
                      the biblio):
                      - The Moscow Court spoke Turkish in the 15th century.
                      - By the end of the 17th century, approximately 17% of the Moscow
                      aristocracy was Mongol.
                      - Many Russian noblemen from the 15th to 17th centuries took Mongol
                      surnames.

                      (Personally, my persona is ostensibly Kiev circa 1450, and own
                      wardrobe is Ukranian, Russian, and Mongol)

                      -Yeliz