Re: [sig] New comer naming question

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 27, 2003
      In a message dated 2/27/2003 9:50:22 PM Central Standard Time,
      xvlovercrimvx@... writes:

      > So my name would make my father's name Girgory or Gregory (name being Misha
      > Grigor'ev). And would my first name be period since it is translated as
      > Mike
      > (being the nickname of Michael or Mikhail). If I was to register my name,
      > would it be better to register as Mikhail or Misha? Thanks!

      The only reference to Misha I find is from 1617, which places it in the gray
      area (sort of period, but not really). In other words, it would work if you
      insist on that diminutive. Mikhei would be better, more solidly in-period
      (15th century). Mikhail, of course, would work just fine.

      You father's name would be Grigorii (a matter of spelling convention), and
      your patronymic Grigoriev.

      Predslava.

    • xvlovercrimvx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 27, 2003
        So it would pass if my name was Mikhail Grigoriev? What about a surname or
        was that later in Russia?

        Misha

      • sismith42 <sismith42@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 28, 2003
          Hi Mikhail/Patric/Whomever you settle on :)

          > I'm working on getting a persona together (went to my first SCA

          you don't explicatly state which culture you're going for-- the
          slavic region supported many :)

          meeting last night) and wanted to make sure I was following the
          proper rules for a 12th-14th century persona. I'm still not decided
          on the exact period yet either.

          Rules? What rules? Naming rules or... is there something I
          didn't "get" here in the SCA?

          Finding a precise "I was born at this time and died at that one" time-
          window is only as important as you make it. Many people keep theirs
          vauge.

          Stefania/Stephanie (still working on a last name...)
        • goldschp@mailbag.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 28, 2003
            Assuming that there isn't already a Mikhail Grigoriev (or Grigor'ev) registered
            in the Society, I would think this is an easy one to pass. Surnames are pretty
            late period things.

            We would, however, register them, so you could be: Mikhail Grigoriev
            Medvednikov (wasn't that the surname you were thinking of?) or Mikhail
            Grigoriev syn Medvednikov, or a bazillion other possibilities.

            > So it would pass if my name was Mikhail Grigoriev? What about a surname or
            > was that later in Russia?

            -- Paul
          • MHoll@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 28, 2003
              In a message dated 2/28/2003 11:22:08 AM Central Standard Time,
              xvlovercrimvx@... writes:

              > So it would pass if my name was Mikhail Grigoriev? What about a surname or
              > was that later in Russia?

              Yes, Mikhail Grigoriev would pass. Surnames are pretty much out of SCA
              period. You don't need one.

              Predslava

            • xvlovercrimvx@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 28, 2003
                In a message dated 2/28/03 1:26:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                goldschp@... writes:

                > We would, however, register them, so you could be: Mikhail Grigoriev
                > Medvednikov (wasn't that the surname you were thinking of?) or Mikhail
                > Grigoriev syn Medvednikov, or a bazillion other possibilities.

                Different person :). Were there any naming things I need to know in Muscovite
                Russia (that's the area i'm trying to develop my persona in. Time wise its
                about 12-14th Century)? Any Tataric influence when it came to naming or was
                this mainly the time that the Slavic culture came into view (I'm going by
                info on the top of my head)?

              • Alexey Kiyaikin
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 28, 2003
                  Greetings Norm!
                  > I suggest Mikhail, although Southerners might go by Mikhailo. Misha isn't
                  > really very period from what I can tell. It certainly wasn't common.
                  You are wrong, I'd say. Misha the carpenter was mentioned within the
                  story about the Neva battle (after which Alexander Nevsky was called
                  so), he managed to cut through the bottoms of two Swedish ships.

                  Though, the problem is with Medvednikov. -nik suffix is and was used
                  for professions. Mednik (copper worker), neftyanik (oil rig worker),
                  oruzheinik (armorer). There is no profession connected with bear
                  processing, sorry.

                  bye,
                  Alex
                • Paul W. Goldschmidt
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
                    At 05:54 AM 3/1/2003 +0300, you wrote:
                    >Though, the problem is with Medvednikov. -nik suffix is and was used
                    >for professions. Mednik (copper worker), neftyanik (oil rig worker),
                    >oruzheinik (armorer). There is no profession connected with bear
                    >processing, sorry.
                    >
                    >bye,
                    >Alex

                    I'm sorry Alex, but you are incorrect. A Medvednik is a "bear keeper" -- a
                    person who takes care of bears for entertainment purposes. And there was a
                    Nefedko Medvednikov who is recorded in c1495 in _Novgorodskiia pistsovyia
                    knigi_ (SPb, 1880-1910) -- First Volume, page 268.

                    You'll also find Medvedchik in period as both given name and byname
                    (Medvedchikov).

                    -- Paul
                  • Paul W. Goldschmidt
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
                      At 08:08 PM 2/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                      > Were there any naming things I need to know in Muscovite
                      >Russia (that's the area i'm trying to develop my persona in. Time wise its
                      >about 12-14th Century)? Any Tataric influence when it came to naming or was
                      >this mainly the time that the Slavic culture came into view (I'm going by
                      >info on the top of my head)?

                      Moscow was a backwater in the 12th-14th century. :) You sure you don't
                      mean later?

                      -- Paul
                    • MHoll@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
                        In a message dated 3/1/2003 10:04:55 AM Central Standard Time,
                        Posadnik@... writes:

                        > You are wrong, I'd say. Misha the carpenter was mentioned within the
                        > story about the Neva battle (after which Alexander Nevsky was called
                        > so), he managed to cut through the bottoms of two Swedish ships.

                        In the Chronicle? Give a citation. I don't remember a Misha, and I've read
                        the account a number of times. In the film? It's irrelevant.

                        > Though, the problem is with Medvednikov. -nik suffix is and was used
                        > for professions. Mednik (copper worker), neftyanik (oil rig worker),
                        > oruzheinik (armorer). There is no profession connected with bear
                        > processing, sorry.

                        Bear hunting. You can't use modern examples.

                        Predslava.

                      • MHoll@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
                          In a message dated 3/1/2003 10:05:00 AM Central Standard Time,
                          xvlovercrimvx@... writes:

                          > Any Tataric influence when it came to naming or was
                          > this mainly the time that the Slavic culture came into view

                          Unless you want to build yourself a persona with Tartar ancestors (mostly
                          high nobility anyway), I wouldn't worry about it. Just go with Slavic names.

                          Predslava.

                        • Alexey Kiyaikin
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
                            Greetings!
                            >> You are wrong, I'd say. Misha the carpenter was mentioned within the
                            >> story about the Neva battle (after which Alexander Nevsky was called
                            >> so), he managed to cut through the bottoms of two Swedish ships.
                            >
                            > In the Chronicle? Give a citation. I don't remember a Misha, and I've read
                            > the account a number of times. In the film? It's irrelevant.
                            AFAIR, the chronicle. same chronicle that mentioned the duel between
                            the leaders, the cutting down of the Birger's tent's central pole,
                            etc. Misha the Carpenter was among the three or four warriors
                            mentioned in that text. Sorry, can't cite here - no book right now at
                            hand. Just my memories how i read it. BTW, first I met that person in
                            a children's book at the age of 5, and being already an adult was
                            somehow interested by the fact that personality wasn't fictitious.

                            >> Though, the problem is with Medvednikov. -nik suffix is and was used
                            >> for professions. Mednik (copper worker), neftyanik (oil rig worker),
                            >> oruzheinik (armorer). There is no profession connected with bear
                            >> processing, sorry.
                            >
                            > Bear hunting. You can't use modern examples.
                            Medvezhatnik. It's not modern.

                            Bye,
                            Alex.
                          • xvlovercrimvx@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 1, 2003
                              In a message dated 3/1/03 11:23:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                              goldschp@... writes:

                              > Moscow was a backwater in the 12th-14th century. :) You sure you don't
                              > mean later?
                              >
                              > -- Paul

                              What century did Muscovite Russia slowly climb to power? I'm trying to
                              research the different areas of Russia (Novogrod, Muscovite, and Kievian) and
                              am trying to place my persona's origins in one of those three "kingdoms"
                              (used loosely). My persona's father is an Italian Merchant so Novogrod would
                              seem to be a good place since his mother is Half-German also. Kievian Rus was
                              powerful but mainly wasn't it powerful in S. Russian and near Ukraine? If
                              anyone has any info, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

                              Misha

                            • Elizabeth Lear
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 2, 2003
                                On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 11:58:17PM -0500, xvlovercrimvx@... wrote:
                                > What century did Muscovite Russia slowly climb to power? I'm trying to
                                > research the different areas of Russia (Novogrod, Muscovite, and Kievian)

                                Lifted from my own lecture notes:

                                KIEV 970-1240

                                Kiev began as a small village settled in the 9th century by Swedish
                                vikings called Varangians. It's located on the Dnieper River, which
                                functioned as a highway to Constantinople. As a result it thrived as
                                a trading community and was wealthy, sophisticated, and envied.

                                The Grand Duchy of Kiev had been a very strong influence on the region
                                in the middle ages, but it started to decline in the late 11th century
                                as the Grand Duke started to lose authority over feudal principalities
                                that were asserting their independence.

                                This breakdown made it easier for the nomadic tribes of the east to
                                invade southern Russia. Kiev was divided, and eventually formed three
                                related but independent regions in the 13th century.
                                Great Russia - Vladimir, Rostov and Novgorod Little Russia -
                                the southwest regions Belorussia - the eastern regions

                                The Grand Duchy of Kiev was devestated by the Mongol invasions in the
                                1200s and did not really recover until the 18th century.

                                NOVGOROD 1240-1480

                                While Kiev was the center of Russian power, Novgorod was second to it
                                in importance. Novgorod imitated Kiev's architecture and culture,
                                which made it an excellent 'storehouse' for preserving that culture
                                during the Tartar domination (1238-1462).

                                Novgorod was the largest and richest city in Russia from the 12th to
                                the 15th centuries after Kiev was conquered and divided. Its
                                relatively sheltered location spared it from much of the Tartar
                                invasion, but it survived in style during the occupation of Russia
                                primarily by submitting themselves completely to Tartar rule. They
                                paid tribute, did homage to the "Tartar Tsar", and admitted Mongol
                                tax-gatherers.

                                In return, Novgorod was spared and became a merchant city and a great
                                center of the arts, with new schools of architecture and icon painting
                                thriving there. Russian art and literature flourished. Gusli playing
                                was developed in Novogorod. The streets were paved with lumber in the
                                11th century (Paris did the same in 1184), and water was transported
                                through wooden pipes.

                                The Moscow Tsar Ivan III conquered Novgorod in 1475.

                                MOSCOW 1480-

                                The first written reference to Moscow was in 1147, when it was
                                mentioned as being the hunting lodge of a local boyar prince.
                                Originally stettled by Finnish tribes, it was not really a city until
                                the 1300s, and wasn't the center of power in Russia until about 1500.
                                By 1700, Moscow was the unchallenged center of Russian civilization,
                                but the riches of Moscow were assembled by impoverishing the smaller
                                centers of local culture (a pattern repeated in the 1900s by
                                St. Petersburg).

                                The princes of Moscow began to consolidate Russian feudal
                                principalities in the 15th century. They were basically fighting the
                                Tartars for control of the land while the territories were already
                                subjugated. They were also fighting off incursions from the west from
                                the Grand Duchys of Poland and Lithuania.

                                The areas now known as Ukraine and Belorus were added to Moscow's
                                territory in 1654.

                                -Yeliz
                              • xvlovercrimvx@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
                                  Ah, spaseeba to Yeliz for the notes. I guess Misha would be placed in
                                  Novogrod. Another question:Would there be any Tataric influence with the
                                  clothing or did the Russian's keep their own sense of style in defiance to
                                  their Tatar rulers? I think I asked this question before, but just want to
                                  make sure. Any good places online for Russian information? Most of the stuff
                                  I have found is either high school oriented (either too vague or maybe
                                  misleading) or in Russian (And I don't read Cyrrilic or speak Russian).
                                  Thanks for the info everyone!

                                  Misha

                                • Elizabeth Lear
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 4, 2003
                                    > Would there be any Tataric influence with the
                                    > clothing or did the Russian's keep their own sense of style in defiance to
                                    > their Tatar rulers?
                                    > Misha

                                    There's a very nice SCA publication about 13 C Novgorod, reprinted
                                    online at http://www.geocities.com/ilyana7/novgorod/toc.html

                                    Also, Mistress Nicolaa put together a book on Novgorod in 1036 which
                                    you once were able to order from her. It was written for a local
                                    event.

                                    For a more general overview, heck out my costume lecture notes:
                                    http://indra.com/~eliz/SCA/costuming.txt

                                    Particularly, according to "A Cultural History of Russia" (details in
                                    the biblio):
                                    - The Moscow Court spoke Turkish in the 15th century.
                                    - By the end of the 17th century, approximately 17% of the Moscow
                                    aristocracy was Mongol.
                                    - Many Russian noblemen from the 15th to 17th centuries took Mongol
                                    surnames.

                                    (Personally, my persona is ostensibly Kiev circa 1450, and own
                                    wardrobe is Ukranian, Russian, and Mongol)

                                    -Yeliz