Re: [sig] Embroidery cont.

  • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2003
      Hi, Beatrice -

      I understand you're under time constraints, but at some point if you can get your hands on the following book via interlibrary loan, it has pages of various decorative motifs towards the end - plants, animals, and geometric designs that were used in woodcarving, embroidery, metalwork, etc. The book is:

      Arkheologia. Drevniaia Rus'. Byt i kultura. (Archeology. Ancient Rus. Life and Culture.) Moscow: Nauka, 1997.
      ISBN 5-02-010174-5

      It's basically an archeological survey of several grave sites in Western Russia (if I remember correctly); I think it covers about 1000 AD - 1400 AD. If you can read Russian, it's got tons of info, but the pictures are definitely worth a look-see!

      -- Kseniia Smol'nyanina