Embroidery cont.

  • Anne Penrose
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9 9:05 PM
      First off, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's
      replied. Next: What is Dover? I have found some
      knotwork designs that are documentable, and have found
      a stag which I have converted into a horse. More
      design ideas/pics welcome!! But two points - the
      local libraries are useless, and I don't have the
      money or time to order books over the net atm. So, I
      am at the mercy of your scanners, or web sites.

      Thank you again. You have all been a marvellous help,
      and I am getting really excited about starting to
      stitch.

      Beatrice.

      =====
      Lady Béatrice la Rossa (Anne Penrose)
      Blessed Herman Web Minister and Chronicler
      http://www.sca.org.au/blessed_herman/

      "You can't expect to wield supreme executive power
      just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you"

      http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
      - Send some online love this Valentine's Day.
    • Kseniia Smol'nyanina
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10 4:29 PM
        Hi, Beatrice -

        I understand you're under time constraints, but at some point if you can get your hands on the following book via interlibrary loan, it has pages of various decorative motifs towards the end - plants, animals, and geometric designs that were used in woodcarving, embroidery, metalwork, etc. The book is:

        Arkheologia. Drevniaia Rus'. Byt i kultura. (Archeology. Ancient Rus. Life and Culture.) Moscow: Nauka, 1997.
        ISBN 5-02-010174-5

        It's basically an archeological survey of several grave sites in Western Russia (if I remember correctly); I think it covers about 1000 AD - 1400 AD. If you can read Russian, it's got tons of info, but the pictures are definitely worth a look-see!

        -- Kseniia Smol'nyanina

        > First off, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's
        replied. Next: What is Dover? I have found some
        knotwork designs that are documentable, and have found
        a stag which I have converted into a horse. More
        design ideas/pics welcome!! But two points - the
        local libraries are useless, and I don't have the
        money or time to order books over the net atm. So, I
        am at the mercy of your scanners, or web sites.

        Thank you again. You have all been a marvellous help,
        and I am getting really excited about starting to
        stitch.

        Beatrice.

        =====
        Lady B��atrice la Rossa (Anne Penrose)