bohemia- diacriticals vs digraphs

  • Annah Almaziful <annah_almaziful@yahoo.c
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2003
      Hi all,

      I'm the course of my rather limited online research, I've come across
      some references to Old Czech language and the use of digraphs and
      trigraphs.

      What i've read has basically stated that prior to about 1400ish,
      czech language used the letter 'z' after a consonant to produce the
      softening effect the hacek produces, as in "czech" instead
      of "c^ech"... anyhoo... the story I have read so far describes a
      document wherein Jan Hus suggests/promotes the use of diacritical
      marks instead of digraphs, and as time went by, these marks became
      standard. I have noticed that most books on Czech history use either
      modernized Czech place/personal names or (worse) translate the names
      into a German or English equivalent. Obviously there are greater
      challenges in finding period information in relation to naming, but I
      am interested in this tiny aspect of in-period spelling.

      Sooooo...in the context of discovering period spellings for pre-1400
      personal- and place- names, I am interested if anyone can help me by
      either pointing me towards a resource or guiding me in the following
      queries:

      1) how did pre-diacritical-era documents indicate the accent ague?
      did they use an additional vowel to express this action?

      2) are there any good examples of such documents online? (not that i
      can read czech of course.... but to see an example would be
      interesting)

      3) are there any other spelling-related factors i'm forgetting about
      this issue?

      hrm... i'm just puzzling over this. Did Hus invent the marks or were
      they in use but infrequently prior to his writing? does anyone know a
      good (english-language) guide to this? hrm... i first read about this
      on genealogy-related websites (regarding potential difficulties in
      reading old records) and then in introductions to czech language...
      oh, just rambling now, guess i'll stop *grins*.

      thanks muchly!

      Annah
      (Still fine-tuning the ol' persona name... not ready for unveiling
      quite yet... and compiling a big list of 14th-15th century bohemian
      names while she's at it...)