Re: [sig] Intro

  • jjbober4@rcn.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2003
      _Rise of the Polish Monarchy_. I'm not sure if its still in
      print, but you should be able to find a used version on
      Amazon. It doesn't have a lot of pictures, but it is
      specifically geared to your portion of period. Also, look
      into the book associated with the Wawel, as there is some
      statuary there which fits. I can't remember if there are
      specific pictures in the book, but it couldn't hurt.

      Jan
    • tofaeiriksdottir
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
        Greetings all,
        I have been in the SCA for a few years now and have gone through that "geez, what do I really want to be?" phase several times, right now I have garb from Viking through Elizabethan. I have been thinking due to genealogy and comfort factor that early Rus is what I really want to be, but have a hard time finding info on the net for anything earlier than say, 14th century. I would really like 12th century. That early on, do the clothes really change that much? I have found a name I like, Anizka, but all the info on how to create a surname is confusing to me. Anything you can tell me would be reatly appreciated, thanks...

        YIS,
        Lady Tofa
      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
          Hi Tofa,

          <<snip>>
          early Rus is what I really want to be, but have a hard time finding info on the net for anything earlier than say, 14th century. I would really like 12th century.
          <<snip>>

          Have you seen Mistress Sofya's website on early Rus dress?

          The section focusing on female dress in particular:
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC.html

          And for photos of jewellery, check out: http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/museums/gim/earlyrus.html
          http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html
          http://mini-site.louvre.fr/sainte-russie/EN/html/1.2.html
          http://svyatayarus.net/pda/exposition/baptism/exhibits/index.php?lang=en

          <<snip>>
          I have found a name I like, Anizka, but all the info on how to create a surname is confusing to me.
          <<snip>>

          Have you seen Paul's introduction to Russian names?
          http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html
          It gives an overview of the different types of byname you could have (not surname, as often the name was given to you, not inherited), but it is hard to help with more specific details if you don't tell us what part is confusing you. :)

          also see: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/slavic.shtml

          Hope that helps,

          Asfridhr
          (who started off Finnish, became a Lett, then flirted with 16th century Lithuania, Livonia, Korea (though not all at the same time!) and eventually settled into Norse... don't feel pressured to stick to only one time and place!)
        • tofaeiriksdottir
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
            I shouldn't even try to make sense before I go to work in the morning, anyway, I couldn't understand how to go about making a last name, if I am reading this right, there are suffixes that are male or female? And yes, I have been gleaning the info off her pages because AFTER I wrote the original post, I saw that she mentions 10th through 15th centuries... so it seems to me that at first the clothing didn't change that much...ok, another question, in a rendering of of a 11th century princess, http://www.freebase.com/view/wikipedia/images/commons_id/8442239 the second from the left is wearing some sort of cap, or is it a headscarf and the ends are just coming over her shoulders? any ideas?

            Tofa
            (I started in late 16th century France, moved to England, then went back a century and went to Florence and then Venice, only to go further back to be Norman and then Viking...so you can imagine the V-8 moment I saw with the family when I mentioned early Rus, moving back to NH, how far more practical it seemed to be)

            "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

            > Hi Tofa,
            >
            > <<snip>>
            > early Rus is what I really want to be, but have a hard time finding info on the net for anything earlier than say, 14th century. I would really like 12th century.
            > <<snip>>
            >
            > Have you seen Mistress Sofya's website on early Rus dress?
            >
            > The section focusing on female dress in particular:
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC.html
            >
            > And for photos of jewellery, check out: http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/museums/gim/earlyrus.html
            > http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html
            > http://mini-site.louvre.fr/sainte-russie/EN/html/1.2.html
            > http://svyatayarus.net/pda/exposition/baptism/exhibits/index.php?lang=en
            >
            > <<snip>>
            > I have found a name I like, Anizka, but all the info on how to create a surname is confusing to me.
            > <<snip>>
            >
            > Have you seen Paul's introduction to Russian names?
            > http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html
            > It gives an overview of the different types of byname you could have (not surname, as often the name was given to you, not inherited), but it is hard to help with more specific details if you don't tell us what part is confusing you. :)
            >
            > also see: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/slavic.shtml
            >
            > Hope that helps,
            >
            > Asfridhr
            > (who started off Finnish, became a Lett, then flirted with 16th century Lithuania, Livonia, Korea (though not all at the same time!) and eventually settled into Norse... don't feel pressured to stick to only one time and place!)

          • Paul W Goldschmidt
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
              On the naming practices: yes, bynames are
              gendered (women and men have different endings on
              their names). For example, Ivan Petrov and Maria
              Petrova, Mikhail Volkhonskii and Liudmila Volkhonskaia.

              I'll leave the clothing questions to the others....

              -- Paul Wickenden

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
                <<snip>>
                ok, another question, in a rendering of of a 11th century princess, http://www.freebase.com/view/wikipedia/images/commons_id/8442239 the second from the left is wearing some sort of cap, or is it a headscarf and the ends are just coming over her shoulders? any ideas?
                <<snip>>

                I'd guess it was an 'ubrus'/veil.
                Sofya's website comes to the rescue once again, with some period artwork, and photos of her re-creations to give you an idea of the various ways it could be worn:
                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/wardrobe.html

                Cheers,

                Asfridhr
              • Lisa Kies
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 23, 2011
                  Greetings and a bow from Sofya,

                  On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...>wrote:

                  > <<snip>>
                  > ok, another question, in a rendering of of a 11th century princess,
                  > http://www.freebase.com/view/wikipedia/images/commons_id/8442239 the
                  > second from the left is wearing some sort of cap, or is it a headscarf and
                  > the ends are just coming over her shoulders? any ideas?
                  > <<snip>>
                  >
                  > I'd guess it was an 'ubrus'/veil.

                  I agree that it looks like a veil.

                  See also: