Intro

  • sismith42 <sismith42@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2003
      Hello :)
      I've been lurking and reading some of the back-messages for about a
      month now, specifically looking for information on 14th century
      Poland... specifically, I'd like to make some garb that's "Polish" as
      opposed to general 14th cen, but am having a hard time finding
      anything... any suggestions? Links? Books to chase?
      Also, on another note: how would one go about translating the
      loveley Vicorian Versions of Historical Costume (as seen by Racine,
      etc) into something a bit more accurate?
      As for into: my name is Stefania (still working on a surname, mka
      Stephanie), and I live in Harpelstane, Drachenwald.

      thanks for any help!
      --Stefania/Stephanie
    • jjbober4@rcn.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 21, 2003
        _Rise of the Polish Monarchy_. I'm not sure if its still in
        print, but you should be able to find a used version on
        Amazon. It doesn't have a lot of pictures, but it is
        specifically geared to your portion of period. Also, look
        into the book associated with the Wawel, as there is some
        statuary there which fits. I can't remember if there are
        specific pictures in the book, but it couldn't hurt.

        Jan
      • tofaeiriksdottir
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
          Greetings all,
          I have been in the SCA for a few years now and have gone through that "geez, what do I really want to be?" phase several times, right now I have garb from Viking through Elizabethan. I have been thinking due to genealogy and comfort factor that early Rus is what I really want to be, but have a hard time finding info on the net for anything earlier than say, 14th century. I would really like 12th century. That early on, do the clothes really change that much? I have found a name I like, Anizka, but all the info on how to create a surname is confusing to me. Anything you can tell me would be reatly appreciated, thanks...

          YIS,
          Lady Tofa
        • Quokkaqueen
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
            Hi Tofa,

            <<snip>>
            early Rus is what I really want to be, but have a hard time finding info on the net for anything earlier than say, 14th century. I would really like 12th century.
            <<snip>>

            Have you seen Mistress Sofya's website on early Rus dress?

            The section focusing on female dress in particular:
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC.html

            And for photos of jewellery, check out: http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/museums/gim/earlyrus.html
            http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html
            http://mini-site.louvre.fr/sainte-russie/EN/html/1.2.html
            http://svyatayarus.net/pda/exposition/baptism/exhibits/index.php?lang=en

            <<snip>>
            I have found a name I like, Anizka, but all the info on how to create a surname is confusing to me.
            <<snip>>

            Have you seen Paul's introduction to Russian names?
            http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html
            It gives an overview of the different types of byname you could have (not surname, as often the name was given to you, not inherited), but it is hard to help with more specific details if you don't tell us what part is confusing you. :)

            also see: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/slavic.shtml

            Hope that helps,

            Asfridhr
            (who started off Finnish, became a Lett, then flirted with 16th century Lithuania, Livonia, Korea (though not all at the same time!) and eventually settled into Norse... don't feel pressured to stick to only one time and place!)
          • tofaeiriksdottir
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
              I shouldn't even try to make sense before I go to work in the morning, anyway, I couldn't understand how to go about making a last name, if I am reading this right, there are suffixes that are male or female? And yes, I have been gleaning the info off her pages because AFTER I wrote the original post, I saw that she mentions 10th through 15th centuries... so it seems to me that at first the clothing didn't change that much...ok, another question, in a rendering of of a 11th century princess, http://www.freebase.com/view/wikipedia/images/commons_id/8442239 the second from the left is wearing some sort of cap, or is it a headscarf and the ends are just coming over her shoulders? any ideas?

              Tofa
              (I started in late 16th century France, moved to England, then went back a century and went to Florence and then Venice, only to go further back to be Norman and then Viking...so you can imagine the V-8 moment I saw with the family when I mentioned early Rus, moving back to NH, how far more practical it seemed to be)

              "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

              > Hi Tofa,
              >
              > <<snip>>
              > early Rus is what I really want to be, but have a hard time finding info on the net for anything earlier than say, 14th century. I would really like 12th century.
              > <<snip>>
              >
              > Have you seen Mistress Sofya's website on early Rus dress?
              >
              > The section focusing on female dress in particular:
              > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC.html
              >
              > And for photos of jewellery, check out: http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/museums/gim/earlyrus.html
              > http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html
              > http://mini-site.louvre.fr/sainte-russie/EN/html/1.2.html
              > http://svyatayarus.net/pda/exposition/baptism/exhibits/index.php?lang=en
              >
              > <<snip>>
              > I have found a name I like, Anizka, but all the info on how to create a surname is confusing to me.
              > <<snip>>
              >
              > Have you seen Paul's introduction to Russian names?
              > http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html
              > It gives an overview of the different types of byname you could have (not surname, as often the name was given to you, not inherited), but it is hard to help with more specific details if you don't tell us what part is confusing you. :)
              >
              > also see: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/slavic.shtml
              >
              > Hope that helps,
              >
              > Asfridhr
              > (who started off Finnish, became a Lett, then flirted with 16th century Lithuania, Livonia, Korea (though not all at the same time!) and eventually settled into Norse... don't feel pressured to stick to only one time and place!)

            • Paul W Goldschmidt
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
                On the naming practices: yes, bynames are
                gendered (women and men have different endings on
                their names). For example, Ivan Petrov and Maria
                Petrova, Mikhail Volkhonskii and Liudmila Volkhonskaia.

                I'll leave the clothing questions to the others....

                -- Paul Wickenden

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
                  <<snip>>
                  ok, another question, in a rendering of of a 11th century princess, http://www.freebase.com/view/wikipedia/images/commons_id/8442239 the second from the left is wearing some sort of cap, or is it a headscarf and the ends are just coming over her shoulders? any ideas?
                  <<snip>>

                  I'd guess it was an 'ubrus'/veil.
                  Sofya's website comes to the rescue once again, with some period artwork, and photos of her re-creations to give you an idea of the various ways it could be worn:
                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/wardrobe.html

                  Cheers,

                  Asfridhr
                • Lisa Kies
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 23, 2011
                    Greetings and a bow from Sofya,

                    On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...>wrote:

                    > <<snip>>
                    > ok, another question, in a rendering of of a 11th century princess,
                    > http://www.freebase.com/view/wikipedia/images/commons_id/8442239 the
                    > second from the left is wearing some sort of cap, or is it a headscarf and
                    > the ends are just coming over her shoulders? any ideas?
                    > <<snip>>
                    >
                    > I'd guess it was an 'ubrus'/veil.

                    I agree that it looks like a veil.

                    See also: