1460s Romanian garb question

  • Alexandreina Dragos <lamiastrix@earthlin
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 20, 2003
      OK I've been trying to figure out what the court of Vlad Dracula
      would have been wearing during his heydays in the 1460's. Now, the
      Queen of Hungary was Italian and the surviving bust of her shows her
      wearing Italianate clothing, as is the King of Hungary in his bust.
      Italy started developing a style distinct from the rest of Europe in
      about the 1450's or perhaps even as early as the 1440's. However, at
      this time pretty much the rest of Europe was still wearing the
      cotehardie and sideless surcoat and the houppelande.
      So what was most of Eastern Europe wearing? I can see the fashion
      forward crowd adopting the styles of the Hungarian court, however
      wasn't Wallachia a bit of a hinterland? Then I also have to consider
      the fact that, after Dracula destroyed a large portion of the boyar
      class he elevated the armas and the viteji, the former compromised
      of "enforcers" of many races, even Tartars and gypsies, the latter of
      free land owning peasants that became a military nobility. Would
      these people have been able to ape the Hungarian court? Would they
      have done do? Or would the older styles of clothing have prevailed?
      How much influence would the Ottoman court have had on the fashions
      of the Romanian court? Wallachia was as often "owned" by the Turks
      as the Hungarians. Would their influence have been confined to
      fabrics or the shape of clothing as well?
      Any information, thoughts, ideas and opinions on this matter are
      eagerly sought!
      Regards,
      Alexandreina
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 20, 2003
        I have some documentation from Hungary from around 1490 on the Czech Knowledge Page. It's from the picture of Mary of Hapsburg's gown which dates from around 1520 and is in a museum in Budapest. I know this isn't Romania in the 1460's and I wouldn't mind knowing more about that myself. The outfits documented in the Hungarian picture from 1490 and the one from 1520 are just about identical, however, and they are in a style I hadn't seen previously. I think that's interesting.

        Isabelle

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Dan Blair
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 20, 2003
          I have always had a hard time finding any reliable
          information about garb for Wallachia. Something
          Italianate would be reasonable (though perhaps they
          would be a little behind 'current'). I do know that we
          bought a considerable number of suits of armour from
          the Venetians during the first half of the fifteenth
          century. I have a picture of a painting of Neagoe
          Basarab (early 16th C.) showing him wearing Byzantine
          style garb and we know that the Wallachians had
          extensive contact with Byzantium; they did base their
          government organisation off of the Byzantine model.
          You may want to look into that.
          Either way, I would certainly appreciate if you shared
          any info you find.

          Vlad Tepelus

          --- "Alexandreina Dragos <lamiastrix@...>"
          <lamiastrix@...> wrote: > OK I've been

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 21, 2003
            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia Hefner" <p.hefner@w...> wrote:
            > I have some documentation from Hungary from around 1490 on the
            Czech Knowledge Page. It's from the picture of Mary of Hapsburg's
            gown which dates from around 1520 and is in a museum in Budapest. I
            know this isn't Romania in the 1460's and I wouldn't mind knowing
            more about that myself. The outfits documented in the Hungarian
            picture from 1490 and the one from 1520 are just about identical,
            however, and they are in a style I hadn't seen previously. I think
            that's interesting.

            > Isabelle

            Would you be kind enough to provide a direct link? I've seen the
            Mary of Hapsburg gown but don't think I've seen the 1490's one you
            mention and would love to see it! Thank you.
            Alexandreina
          • Patricia Hefner
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 21, 2003
              This is the link to the Czech Knowledge Page:

              http://scholar76.tripod.com/czech/

              The link to the Budapest Museum site, which contains the picture, the pattern and the documentation, is in the costume category under the "Queen of Hungary and Bohemia" heading. Mary of Habsburg held both titles.

              Isabelle

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                Are you going to Gulf Wars? I have the source book,
                from Irina Nicolescu, Costumlui Romanie en Tarle
                X-XVII. It's your dime if you want to copy parts. I'll
                be one road past the Midleastern Road in Thorngill
                Barony camp. Ask for Jylaen and 'dak.
                'dak

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                  Considering Vlad's politics and adolescence, probably
                  very western with eastern touches, like the pearl
                  banded kolpak hat he is pictured wearing. Check Irina
                  Nicolescu, Coustumui Romanie en Tarle Veku X-XVII I'll
                  bring it to Gulf Wars. Maybe we can do a field trip to
                  a local copy shop for interested parties, with lots of
                  dimes. I lost my free copying scam with a job change.
                  'dak

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Patricia Hefner
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 22, 2003
                    Hey, 'dak, in all likelihood I'll be at Gulf Wars. I might come by your encampment to check out that book--it sounds cool.

                    Isabelle

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Dan Blair
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 23, 2003
                      There's no way I'm going to be able to get to Gulf
                      Wars this year. Is there any way we could work
                      something so I could get a copy of that book? Vlad
                      must have, but Vlad lives very far away.

                      Vlad

                      I just thought. I do have some friends going down,
                      maybe I could send some money along to cover the cost
                      of the copying and they could pick it up for me. What
                      do you think?

                      --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote: > Are you

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 28, 2003
                        Sure. I'm game. I'll be camping with my girlfriend in
                        Thorngill Barony camp, one road past the road leading
                        to the Middle Easren area. Tell them to ask for Jylean
                        & 'dak (doc)
                        --- Dan Blair <perrycharb@...> wrote:
                        > There's no way I'm going to be able to get to Gulf
                        > Wars this year. Is there any way we could work
                        > something so I could get a copy of that book? Vlad
                        > must have, but Vlad lives very far away.
                        >
                        > Vlad
                        >
                        > I just thought. I do have some friends going down,
                        > maybe I could send some money along to cover the
                        > cost
                        > of the copying and they could pick it up for me.
                        > What
                        > do you think?
                        >

                        > --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote: > Are
                        > you
                        > going to Gulf Wars? I have the source book,
                        > > from Irina Nicolescu, Costumlui Romanie en Tarle
                        > > X-XVII. It's your dime if you want to copy parts.
                        > > I'll
                        > > be one road past the Midleastern Road in Thorngill
                        > > Barony camp. Ask for Jylaen and 'dak.
                        > > 'dak

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • Dan Blair
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 29, 2003
                          Excellent! I'll co-ordinate with my friends. Any idea
                          how much it will cost for you to copy that book?
                          Very exciting, I haven't found any new research
                          material in a dog's age. Can't wait to have a look.

                          Vlad

                          --- Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote: > Sure.
                          I'm game. I'll be camping with my girlfriend
                          > in
                          > Thorngill Barony camp, one road past the road
                          > leading
                          > to the Middle Easren area. Tell them to ask for
                          > Jylean
                          > & 'dak (doc)
                          > --- Dan Blair <perrycharb@...> wrote:
                          > > There's no way I'm going to be able to get to Gulf
                          > > Wars this year. Is there any way we could work
                          > > something so I could get a copy of that book? Vlad
                          > > must have, but Vlad lives very far away.
                          > >
                          > > Vlad
                          > >
                          > > I just thought. I do have some friends going down,
                          > > maybe I could send some money along to cover the
                          > > cost
                          > > of the copying and they could pick it up for me.
                          > > What
                          > > do you think?

                        • Dan Blair
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 9, 2003
                            Well, things took a turn for the strange recently and
                            I wasn't able to make the necessary arrangements in
                            time. Maybe we could work something out, possibly a
                            trade.
                            Is there any chance you've got the name slightly
                            wrong? A friend of mine just gave me a book
                            "Costumul de Curte In Tarile Romane, sec. XIV-XVIII"
                            by Corina Nicolescu.
                            A rather amazing similarity in titles and author. If
                            these are indeed different books perhaps we could work
                            out a trade, if you're interested.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 11, 2003
                              No, that's it all right. My spelling is just poor.
                              Have fun! 'dak

                              http://webhosting.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 8, 2004
                                Greetings All from 'dak!
                                The Pennsic SLOVO party is scheduled for Monday,
                                August 16th at 6:30 PM at AS 4....and it's tim to
                                organize for the Bash!!!!!

                                Basically, we need folks to bring dishes, potables,
                                books, cool Slavic stuff and music, especially music
                                because dancing is center to the slavic soul and this
                                is a celebration of our little family and the
                                activities we pursue in our enjooyment of SIG.

                                So, if I can get a head count of folks who will be at
                                Pennsic and who canbring what, then I would be
                                eternally grateful and so will the celebration!!! Time
                                for fun, fun, fun!!!!

                                'dak

                                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                              • Tracy Kremer
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 8, 2004
                                  I now own a Zither. It was virtually free. I seem to
                                  recall that zithers were played in eastern europe; can
                                  anyone tell me about this?

                                  Eluned

                                  =====

                                  http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas for all you science fiction fans; it came, it made a lot of people happy, it will be back next year!

                                  for good webcomics, use these links!
                                  http://sluggy.com http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

                                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                                • douglas petroff
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 11, 2004
                                    Tell me what you would like, and I'll try and take care of it. I'll try and remember to bring some books on icons, if anyone's interested. Sergius

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 13, 2004
                                      Privyat Sergius and all SIG MEMBERS from 'dak!
                                      Besides yourself, a side of your choice and/or a
                                      potable would be very much appreciated! I figure if
                                      everyone brings something, large or small, then no one
                                      has to carry a tremendous amount of leftovers back to
                                      their camp and we all get great selection.
                                      The one thing I would really appreciate more than
                                      anything is music and books though, in that order,
                                      because some will want to dance but this is also a
                                      great chance to meet, greet and share resources with
                                      each other. My goal is fun but I also want to preserve
                                      the high standards that Paul and Yana set from the
                                      beginning.
                                      WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!
                                      'dak

                                      http://messenger.yahoo.com/