Re: [sig] Clothing question

  • Alexey Kiyaikin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2003
      Greetings!

      > Does anyone know what would be an appropriate traditional mens wedding outfit
      > for a Ukrainian man? It does not really need to be within the SCA time frame,
      > I'm more looking for what would now be considered traditional.

      Just the same. You may consult, e.g., any picture of ***'s classical
      Ukrainian opera "Zaporozhie dweller beyond Danube" (Zaporozhets za
      Dunaem". All the modern dancing elaborations in the field of Gopak are 99 %
      based on the episode of the dancing Cossacks from that opera.

      So, silk trousers "wide as Black sea" (you may copy any Turcic pattern,
      e.g. at www.geocities.com/kaganate/ ), a wide scarf/belt around the
      waist, several meters long, a palm wide, also silk, with loose ends
      that hang down almost to the ground; boots with low
      heels, shorter than modern Russian army pattern (about half way to
      the knee), a linen or cotton shirt that is stuck into the trousers,
      with the front stiff from the wide rectangular brocaded area (I'd call it a
      plate). The shirt has a short front slit, and a pair of laces at the
      front hold the slit shut. The sleeves of the shirt have no tapering
      towards the wrist, they simply end at the very wrists.

      In winter there is a Svita over all that, or a mutton coat.

      Hope that helps,

      bye,
      Alex.
    • deonisei syn Ralo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2003
        Mordaks garb packet does work, my bad. Sorry.
        ---
        If Dr. Suess wrote LOTR: 'Gandalf, Gandalf! Take the ring! I am too small to carry this thing!' 'I can not, will not hold the One. You have a slim chance, but I have none. I will not take it on a boat, I will not take it across a moat. I cannot take it under Moria, that's one thing I can't do for ya. I would not bring it into Mordor, I would not make it to the border.'"